I Hate The Rx330 Headlights

chimchim

Here's how I feel about the RX330 HIDs. Tell me if you guys agree.

I like the design.

I like the shape.

I like the HID brightness.

I hate the HID shades which block the normal headlight beams above a certain height so that you don't "blind the cars in front of you".

Well, because of these shades, now you CAN'T SEE PAST ABOUT 40' IN FRONT OF THE CAR. Things in the road hide in the shadow of the shades and suddenly come into bright view when they get close enough to be illuminated by the HIDs.

Even worse, try navigating a hilly road. That means on the down part of a short dip, the head lights may only illuminate as little as 20' in front of the car, leaving the rest in DARKNESS.

In my 10 year old Honda with old regular headlights, I can see MORE distance because the non-HIDs are also NON-SHADED.

Hey Lexus, RANGE is more important than INTENSITY OF ILLUMINATION.

Solution: they should have made these shades a gradient of translucency, rather than the abrupt complete blockage of the light; to reduce the intensity of brightness in the "upper region" without making it completely dark.

Go to your dealer and have them adjusted up a little. Mine are great and I can tell you about some dark roads up here in Alaska:)

Hell I would take ONE 330 HID lamp compared to any 2 regular Halogen lamp

Here's how I feel about the RX330 HIDs. Tell me if you guys agree.

I like the design.

I like the shape.

I like the HID brightness.

I hate the HID shades which block the normal headlight beams above a certain height so that you don't "blind the cars in front of you".

Well, because of these shades, now you CAN'T SEE PAST ABOUT 40' IN FRONT OF THE CAR. Things in the road hide in the shadow of the shades and suddenly come into bright view when they get close enough to be illuminated by the HIDs.

Even worse, try navigating a hilly road. That means on the down part of a short dip, the head lights may only illuminate as little as 20' in front of the car, leaving the rest in DARKNESS.

In my 10 year old Honda with old regular headlights, I can see MORE distance because the non-HIDs are also NON-SHADED.

Hey Lexus, RANGE is more important than INTENSITY OF ILLUMINATION.

Solution: they should have made these shades a gradient of translucency, rather than the abrupt complete blockage of the light; to reduce the intensity of brightness in the "upper region" without making it completely dark.

I had the same problem, until I had the dealer adjust them upwards. They work fine now. Maybe you should try that, before blaming design?

Yea, tell them they are full of CRAP! They can be adjusted and will not mess up the auto level feature! Telll them to get a Service manual once and a while before they speak---I hate dealers like that.

If his dealer cant even adjust the headlights do you expect them to know how to replace them---They will probably tell him he doesnt need them!

I got the updated ones for mine and really there was not to much of a differnace. Adjusting them up a little is the bigggest help

Awesome!  I am bringing it in tomorrow.  I go to Lexus of Manhattan.  I hate them!  They think I am stupid, but I always have something to back me up!

It shows that they are really the Stupid ones! My L dealer is TOP NOTCH, I would put them against anybody and challange them to be better.

Isnt there any other L dealer thats just as close or even further away?--I sure hope you give them a Bad report when they ask you to fill one out or they call you back asking how your service was

There are actually a couple that I can go to...Brooklyn, NJ, or LI. Gave them a horrible review one time and the GM called me. He asked me why did I give such a bad review. I told him the truth. Service was horrible. He told me if I have any problems to talk to him first. I told him, I am an honest guy and I give what you deserved. Man, just thinking about this makes me laugh.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man... Lexus of Manhattan! I can tell you about them and headlights! First, I'm SO glad someone else is complaining about this! It drove me crazy. I go up to Vermont all the time to ski and it's impossible to drive over 20 mph on some of the curvy, hilly, dark roads there. You really can't see more than about 20' at some points.

So I complained to LoM about it everytime I took the car in. At one point they said they could adjust them upward "a little". And they did. And as promised, it was only "a little". I could see they did make an adjustment but it didn't help. Instead of seeing 20' ahead in some places I was then able to see maybe 25'!

Finally, just in the last month in fact, I called my salesman and told him I was very unhappy with the headlights and the navigation system. (You ever notice there are 3 airpots IN Manhattan)!? He talked to the service manager Richie... who did get the headlights adjusted upward even more. But now it's way too much! It's like I have the brights on all the time! In fact, when I turn on the brights they now do nothing to illuminate the road - they now illuminate the tops of the trees!

And in fact, the lights now blind ME! When I'm going down a dark highway and one of those green highway signs comes up - the reflection of these lights off the sign back into my eyes is SO bright it's annoying.

I was going to complain, but then I realized oncoming drivers were never flashing me. (They do flash me if I turn on the brights). So, for some reason it doesn't seem to bother them. Although when I stand in front of the car and look at them - they're blinding. But if the oncoming drivers aren't bothered enough by it to flash me, then maybe it's not as bad as it seems. I can see hundreds of yards down the road now! It's pretty awesome... and as long as no one's complaining (i.e. oncoming drivers), I'll take it.

LoM by the way, says it's illegal to adjust them upward anymore than they come standard. That was their excuse for not doing it. But mechanically it is entirely possible. Although they did tell me many times it wasn't possible at all!~ I told them how dangerous it was to only be able to see 20' ahead at times. I emphasized that I drove out into the country A LOT and I couldn't imagine not getting into an accident at some point.

They really should have a system where a less bright light illuminates farther ahead. It's really ridiculous how they made these headlights. And, it is seriously dangerous.

Edited by LexNYC

Adjusting the headlights is the only thing that I would never trust any dealer to do. I adjusted mine myself after having the same problems everyone is complaining about. I did it in small increments. First time I raised them about 5 turns. A couple of days later I raised them about 3 more turns and now they're much better. If you can open the hood and check your oil a nd coolant level you can easily adjust your own headlights without waiting for these incompetent dealers. All what you need is a socket and a long phillips screw driver to adjust them horizontally. All the instructions should be in the owners manual.

Check the first post for instructions.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...ight=headlights

Edited by cantsleepnk

Cool, thanks for the tip. I might actually give that a try. Because they are truly incompetent when it comes to this. They're like, "okay customer, that wasn't high enough last time - then try this!" I guess they figure you'll never bother them again if they point them way TOO high.

There are updated healights for distance of illumination complaints. I'll get the part numbers tomorrow.

Are you talking about these 81150-0E020 and 81110-0E020?

I got them from an older post by you. A couple of months ago I took my car to the dealer and complained that my headlights seem dim. I specifically gave them these part numbers The service advisor wrote "check for headlight update" on the ticket. When I picked up the car the invoice said that no update was available.

Are these just updated HID bulbs (D2S)? Can I just buy and install them myself if my dealer won't aknowledge the update?

BTW Mine is an earlier build RX330- Aug03.

Thanks in advance for your help.