Window Glass Fell Off The Motor Mechanism

spencerfunk

I lowered my window and I heard a thud. Afterwards, the glass wouldn't raise up. I can hear the motor mechanism when I press the window switch, but no glass rising. I figure that there is a 99% chance that the glass just fell off the motor track or something, but then again I'm not a pro. I tried to take off the panel, but I'm having problems getting past the black handle and lock switch. The handle/lock switch seems to be attached to the metal part of the door and that's stopping me from taking off the whole leather door cover and inside long leather handle. I can't find a screw to take it off. How do I remove the black handle/lock switch to take off the leather panel to get in to the glass to fix this problem?

It is well known that over time, the window regulators break. (Your glass did not fall off the track). Mine broke approximately 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have the same symptoms. I can hear the window motor going, but the window will not rise. It will lower though.

I just picked up my window regulator from Carson Toyota yesterday. Will install it some time this week.

Read this:

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#047

This may not be of any help, but in my BMW, this just happened about 2 days ago... except it made a crack sound - almost as if the window broke (but it didn't) I thought it would be a track, motor, etc.. but as it turns out its just a little plastic clip that holds the window track in place.

I don't know if it's the same type of set up or not, but it may be worth a look??

Mine broke as well a while back and I replaced the regulator, but with that the top window screw broke where at the rail the and top corner of the glass are connected. There is a black round cap covering the screw. That broke and cannot be repaired, so my driverside window doesn't roll up so smoothe, most upsetting, but it works. Local junk yards for the window regulator, best price.

You have to remove all of the screws from the door panel itself. I remember two behind the door pull and the others behind the caps all around the panel. There is also another screw behind the black door handle plate. Just use a screwdriver and pry it open, then unscrew the screw. The door handle is also held on by plastic "pop rivets", so be careful when pulling the panel from the door frame. Make sure you use an up and out motion when doing so.

I think your problem is related to the white plastic (teflon) traveler that rides in

the metal guide.

Here's basically what happens when u roll the window up and down:

There are two separate cables which wrap around a plastic capstan (pulley like

mechanism) in oppsite directions, then pass thru conduit guides and end up

being molded into the teflon traveler--ea cable has a small metallic cube attached

to its end. What probably happened is the cable that pulls the window down broke

loose from the traveler.

As far as the regulator, mine did the same thing. I had to replace the regulator because the cable in the regulator broke and became gnarled beyond recognition. When you get the new regulator, make sure you compare the two and replace the housing with the old regulator. It is a pretty easy step (you will notice what is missing on the new regulator).

If you like preventative maintenance, replace the door handle pins, they tend to break on older cars. It is only a $5.00 part but saves you a whole lot of trouble in the long run. I cant remember the part numbers but I will look.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Dee

• 1 year later...