1992 Es300

Anovice

I had posted on this about three weeks ago and thought I resolved the problem. While I could hear the antenna motor trying to lower and raise the mast (every time either the radio was turned on and off or the car itself), it would not do anything and remain in the up position. I dis-connected the electrical harness (to stop the noise) and was fine up to this weekend. My sister decided to do me a favor and take the car to the car wash. Do I need to say more! I now need a new mast.

I called Park Place Lexus this morning. They feel that since I can hear the antenna motor, the problem is most likely the nylon gear, which then say goes bad over time. Does this make sense? The cost for the new mast is $47 and they say comes with a new nylon gear. They also said it is not difficult to install, but will require 2 people. I have no mechanical abilities, so anything relating to a car, other than putting in gas, is difficult for me. Is there a site on line where I can print out directions to give a friend and I will become the second person. Thanks much.

I had posted on this about three weeks ago and thought I resolved the problem. While I could hear the antenna motor trying to lower and raise the mast (every time either the radio was turned on and off or the car itself), it would not do anything and remain in the up position. I dis-connected the electrical harness (to stop the noise) and was fine up to this weekend. My sister decided to do me a favor and take the car to the car wash. Do I need to say more! I now need a new mast.

I called Park Place Lexus this morning. They feel that since I can hear the antenna motor, the problem is most likely the nylon gear, which then say goes bad over time. Does this make sense? The cost for the new mast is $47 and they say comes with a new nylon gear. They also said it is not difficult to install, but will require 2 people. I have no mechanical abilities, so anything relating to a car, other than putting in gas, is difficult for me. Is there a site on line where I can print out directions to give a friend and I will become the second person. Thanks much.

Wrap a chamois or other protective cloth around mast nut and remove:

Turn stereo on and remove the old mast:

From inside trunk remove side panel:

Remove antenea mounting screws and power connector:

Disasemble motor assembly:

Remove the old mast and pieces along with the new gear:

Reassemble motor assembly and reinstall in car plug in power connector:

Insert new mast into motor assembly and turn radio off while feeding the new mast in straight:

Put antenea back on and replace the mast nut:

Hope this helps.

post-1634-1133201590_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1133201606_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1133201620_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1133201636_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1133201651_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1133201665_thumb.jpg

Insert new mast into motor assembly and turn radio off while feeding the new mast in straight:

Hope this helps.

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed instructions as well as the pictures. I gather my only other question before I purchase the mast with nylon gear, is based on my description, do you think the gear is the problem? I guess in any case I now need a new mast.

Hope this helps.

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed instructions as well as the pictures. I gather my only other question before I purchase the mast with nylon gear, is based on my description, do you think the gear is the problem? I guess in any case I now need a new mast.

Replace the mast and gear while you are in there, And make sure everything is nice and clean before you put it back together. ;)

Good stuff dcfish!

Anovice you can use a Camry ant assembly if you want. They're cheaper. Only change is that they are 1 position, while the Lexus version is 2 position.

Yoysrme, thanks. I am able to purchase the mast which comes with the nylon gear from Park Place Lexus for $46.67. Where on line can I look for the Camry assembly and do you think it would be less? Also, I need to make certain it would come with the gear as this seems to be the origional problem.

• 1 year later...
Good stuff dcfish!

Anovice you can use a Camry ant assembly if you want. They're cheaper. Only change is that they are 1 position, while the Lexus version is 2 position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yoysrme, thanks. I am able to purchase the mast which comes with the nylon gear from Park Place Lexus for $46.67. Where on line can I look for the Camry assembly and do you think it would be less? Also, I need to make certain it would come with the gear as this seems to be the origional problem.

I just bought a mast for $18 and install myself. Got the info from this forum about where to buy and how to install.