Motor Mount

Sorry I have seen several posts on this but not to the Qs I have.

At 170,000 on my 98LS400 I have been told that the left front motor mount needs replacement--$110 for the part, $85 labor. I am not a great DIY guy so probably will have the work done. The tranny mount was supposedly changed before I bought the car and I saw the the receipt. I haven't crawled under to try to verify that the motor mount is indeed broken but plan to try to locate it this weekend.

My questions are

1. How many motor mounts are there, just right and left? Are they the same part number?

2. How many tranny mounts are there?

3. If I am replacing a left front motor mount at 170k, does it make sense to replace a right mount at the same time or just wait for it to go? Don't tjhink ther is a labor savings to do them at the same time or should there be?

4. If dropping the rack and pinion does that help with both sides or just one side?

Will appreciate your advice. :)

hello, did mine sometime ago, easy way for the motor mounts is to drop the steering gear from there its accesible enough but no room to pull it out youve got to lift the engine up high enough so you can access the mounts, yes youve got to change both left and right, the tranny mount ie easy, do a search here somebody did it without dropping the steering gear but its hard lots of patience if you have it plus repair manual,

I agree with bicol-ini completely "infact he's the one that introduced me to this website :cheers: ... i remember my friend ;) "

There are 3 mounts total; 2 for the motor and 1 for the tranny. It can be confusing to tell from online part vendors because they're listed as front and rear. They don't say "frontS..just front" The fronts are the two engine mounts. The rear is the tranny mount. If you just replace the driver's side "which is the hardest one to do", then you'll see the passenger's sides flaws right away. So do them both and be done with them. The tranny mount usually demonstrates it's own signals for needing replacement outside of the engine mounts. But not able to determine how many miles you've put on the car since ownership to determine the age of the mount. If the tranny mount is new, then I wouldn't worry about that. Easy way to see if your engine mounts are bad is to raise the hood, get in the car, put on the e-brake, put your foot on the brake pedal, and put it into gear. Use your other foot to put a little pressure on the gas pedal and look at the engine. If it's shifting quite a bit "beyond 1/2 -1 inch" from left to right, then they're worn. Honestly, if they're the original mounts at that mileage, then my bet is yes, they're worn out. Replace them for sure.

I also have a 98 LS and just rep;aced the left motor mount at 100,000. The right side is still in excellent shape. All of the torque from the motor taxes the left side of the motor, not the right. Save the money and do just the left. I had it done at the dealer for a total of $ 161.00

Baja,

I just had all three of my motor mounts replaced this week. Only the right motor mount was bad but the left was starting to show signs. Bottom line is I replace all three for almost $600. :o

I believe the part numbers are the same of 98 thru 2000 LS 400s. The motor mounts, the same for right and left, part number is 12361-50100 and cost $110.45 a piece. I know you said the Trans (12371-50060) was recently done but it's only 38.83 at www.lexus-parts.com. North Park Lexus of San Antonio honor all lexus-part’s on line price.

I paid almost $260 in parts and $240 dollars in labor. If you’re replacing both right and left, I would go ahead and spend the $38.83 and replace all three. Once you pay for one side you have almost paid the labor for all three.

I considered going somewhere else but decided that my piece of mind was worth more than the small savings in labor. It’s your call and good luck. :cheers:

BTW, I thought my ride was tight before I had motor mounts replaced. Now, it almost feels like a different car.

Appreciate the good advice replies. Makes a big difference to have your experience before sheling out bucks. :cheers:

BTW Widowmaker, I lived in Seguin, TX for about 9 years--San Antonio area is a great part of Texas!