Getting Kit Painted

when i get my kit attached and painted do i put a clear coat on top of the black? the rest of the car wont have a clear since it is single stage black onyx.would there be a noticeable difference? the bodyshop guy said that whenever you paint a panel on a vehicle you should put clear on top even if it doesnt have a clear to begin with

bump ttttt

The final finish after a re-paint or repair has a lot more to do with the "blend" than anything else. Most body shops (95%) use a rotary buffer and a wool cutting pad to buff both the new paint and the ajoining panels of original paint to bring old and new paint to the same level of finish (gloss and texture).

On solid color paints, the clear coat makes very little different in the final finish. However... over time, in particular if the car is heavily exposed to the sun, the clearcoat and non clearcoat finishes will fad differently. This difference is most noticable on red. Black and white are less of a problem.

FYI, all most all paint systems available today are multi-stage finishes (primer, color, clear). Most painters like using a clear because it hides a multitude of repair sins.

db

If ti is a good body shop they won't ask you they will just apply the paint as the factory does.

I take it you are going to be doing it all one colour now?

yeah i am sk, the guy at the shop told me he was going to put a clear after i convinced him that my car was single stage