Rx400 Awd Question

I have been told there are no reverse gears in the RX400. They say reverse is accomplished through the electric motors.

My question is are ALL the wheels drived in reverse?

Does anyone know for sure, I can't see the display since when in reverse the camera appears on the screen.

I would think that there HAS to be a reverse gear. After all, how could the batteries provide enough power to back up a steep driveway or hill at speeds greater than 20 MPH? A steep hill, combined with a 4500 lb vehicle has GOT to require engine power, IMO.

I would think that there HAS to be a reverse gear. After all, how could the batteries provide enough power to back up a steep driveway or hill at speeds greater than 20 MPH? A steep hill, combined with a 4500 lb vehicle has GOT to require engine power, IMO.

Have you tried backing up at 20mph ?

I can accelerate up to 25 mph foward on the batts, so they do have a lot of torque.

The RX400h works just like the Prius (of which I have both). They can only supply power in reverse through the electric motor(s). The gas engine can provide electric generation power but can't supply any direct torque to the wheels. Backing up steep driveways does slow the Prius down somewhat - the RX400h has so much more torque that the lack of gas power in reverse is unnoticeable by me.

See the following websites for specific information:

http://home.earthlink.net/~graham1/MyToyot...gOnAsIDrive.htm

or:

http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/original/PriusFrames.htm

Have you tried backing up at 20mph ?

I can accelerate up to 25 mph foward on the batts, so they do have a lot of torque.

Call me a skeptic, but I find it hard to believe if your battery is low, the RX400h will not allow you to reverse up a hill. How does the Nissan Murano power itself in reverse? It too, has a CVT, no?

Even if the battery is low - there is no problem in using an electric motor only reverse. If required, the gas engine will start and provide electric generation power thru MG1 which then directs that electrical power to MG2 which moves the vehicle backwards. The point here is that there is no direct mechanical means of providing torque from the gas engine to the wheels in reverse - it occurs only through electrical generation and consumption.

I have been told there are no reverse gears in the RX400. They say reverse is accomplished through the electric motors.

Does anyone know for sure, I can't see the display since when in reverse the camera appears on the screen.

In my rx330, when the rear camera activates in reverse, all you have to do is click on the "map" button or any other screen and it will get out of the camera. Try it. :cheers:

Even if the battery is low - there is no problem in using an electric motor only reverse.  If required, the gas engine will start and provide electric generation power thru MG1 which then directs that electrical power to MG2 which moves the vehicle backwards.  The point here is that there is no direct mechanical means of providing torque from the gas engine to the wheels in reverse - it occurs only through electrical generation and consumption.

This could very well be true; however, I still wonder how a Murano reverses, though.

In my rx330, when the rear camera activates in reverse, all you have to do is click on the "map" button or any other screen and it will get out of the camera. Try it. :cheers:

Yes you are correct, I tried this and can see that in reverse both front and rear motors are used.

Thanks javascript:emoticon(' :cheers:')

smilie