Transmission Filter Installation

aldavies3

I've just purchased the Magnefine in line transmission filter to put on my 1999 Rx300 (as described in other posts). need some guidance on which lines from trans. are in and out. One line comes from trans. directly to drivers side of raditor bottom, other line runs to trans. cooler in passenger fender well and passanger side of raditor. Instructions with filter suggest putting in return line after raditor for older cars. Can anyone give some guidance on which line is which? Thanks!

I've just purchased the Magnefine in line transmission filter to put on my 1999 Rx300 (as described in other posts).  need some guidance on which lines from trans. are in and out.  One line comes from trans. directly to drivers side of raditor bottom, other line runs to trans. cooler in passenger fender well and passanger side of raditor.  Instructions with filter suggest putting in return line after raditor for older cars.  Can anyone give some guidance on which line is which?  Thanks!

When you are sitting in the drivers seat the trans fluid circulates clockwise, So install the filter on the passenger side coming out of the radiator. Try to install it so you can get to it for easy changing. Mine took less than 1/2 hour to install on my GS, I don't think it more difficult on the RX. Let us know how it went, Take pix and post.

I've just purchased the Magnefine in line transmission filter to put on my 1999 Rx300 (as described in other posts).  need some guidance on which lines from trans. are in and out.  One line comes from trans. directly to drivers side of raditor bottom, other line runs to trans. cooler in passenger fender well and passanger side of raditor.  Instructions with filter suggest putting in return line after raditor for older cars.  Can anyone give some guidance on which line is which?  Thanks!

When you are sitting in the drivers seat the trans fluid circulates clockwise, So install the filter on the passenger side coming out of the radiator. Try to install it so you can get to it for easy changing. Mine took less than 1/2 hour to install on my GS, I don't think it more difficult on the RX. Let us know how it went, Take pix and post.

Thanks for the reply. Spent some time yesterday looking at the return lines and it looks like it will be difficult to fit the filter in without making some room by cutting one of the hard lines which I really hate to attempt.

Has anyone installed on of these filters in an Rx300? Any guidance?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Spent some time yesterday looking at the return lines and it looks like it will be difficult to fit the filter in without making some room by cutting one of the hard lines which I really hate to attempt.

Has anyone installed on of these filters in an Rx300? Any guidance?

Thanks

You don't have to cut the line, Pull the line off the radiator and put it on the filter then take a short piece of line [ which you will have to purchase at a auto parts store ] and put it on the other end and reconnect to the radiator= Done.

Thanks for the reply,

I assume you are refering to the raditor connection on the drivers side, not the hard line connection running from the passanger side, in which case the direction of flow would be into the raditor. Am I correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the reply,

I assume you are refering to the raditor connection on the drivers side, not the hard line connection running from the passanger side, in which case the direction of flow would be into the raditor.  Am I correct?

Is the hard line on the passenger side hard all the way to the tranny? You could put the filter on either side, Which side is there more room?

Thanks for the reply,

I assume you are refering to the raditor connection on the drivers side, not the hard line connection running from the passanger side, in which case the direction of flow would be into the raditor.  Am I correct?

Is the hard line on the passenger side hard all the way to the tranny? You could put the filter on either side, Which side is there more room?

No not hard all the way on passenger side, but soft line is too short to fit in filter without risk of kinking soft connection. There is more room on the drivers side radiator connection but I think this puts the filter on the inlet path to the radiator, filter instructions suggest it go after radiator/cooler, not sure what difference it would really make though.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

No not hard all the way on passenger side, but soft line is too short to fit in filter without risk of kinking soft connection. There is more room on the drivers side radiator connection but I think this puts the filter on the inlet path to the radiator, filter instructions suggest it go after radiator/cooler, not sure what difference it would really make though.

Thanks

Use extra hose so you have nice curved bends in the line and place it where ever there is room on the passenger side. It is a very easy install, It is just a matter of where you want to place the filter, The extra hose isn't going to cause any problems, Maybe 3-4 oz's more fluid that's all.

take a short piece of line [ which you will have to purchase at a auto parts store ] and put it on the other end and reconnect to the radiator= Done.

But what American auto parts store carries metric size transmssion fluid cooler hose? If a Toyota owner does not use metric inside and outside diameter hose then it's not going to fit the nipple on the radiator or the hose clamp precisely resulting in degraded long term hose reliability and durability. The quality of the rubber used in a auto parts store is also going to be (at best) American car quality hose.

If a cooler hose leaks badly while driving 70 MPH on the interstate the transmission could pump quarts of fluid onto the highway and self destruct in a matter of seconds. This happened to a coworkers 1989 Chevy pickup..

take a short piece of line [ which you will have to purchase at a auto parts store ] and put it on the other end and reconnect to the radiator= Done.

But what American auto parts store carries metric size transmssion fluid cooler hose? If a Toyota owner does not use metric inside and outside diameter hose then it's not going to fit the nipple on the radiator or the hose clamp precisely resulting in degraded long term hose reliability and durability. The quality of the rubber used in a auto parts store is also going to be (at best) American car quality hose.

If a cooler hose leaks badly while driving 70 MPH on the interstate the transmission could pump quarts of fluid onto the highway and self destruct in a matter of seconds. This happened to a coworkers 1989 Chevy pickup..

Monarch, Blah Blah Blah on the hose issue, I found transmision line hose at Pep Boys and it is an exact match of the stock LEXUS hose. I have read too many of your responses to topics to listen to you. :P

Monarch, Blah Blah  Blah on the hose issue, I found transmision line hose at Pep Boys and it is an exact match of the stock LEXUS hose. I have read too many of your responses to topics to listen to you. :P

LMAO

that is too funny and so very true, monarch what is the point of posting just to be the complete opposite.

Hose is hose a minor difference in diameter inner makes no difference and the outer is completely of no consequence.

That is what the clamps are for.

Post something with a point rather than to see your post count go up.