Best Summer Tire

ZINFANDEL22

And you are liking the tire ??

Didno' have them. I was getting some prices and the guy (personal friend) was giving me prices that were really good. It is like my toyo proxies tpt. I got them for like $300 installed etc. I could get them cheaper now then before if I wanted them. But these will be my last set of toyo's.

He said if I do not like my toyo in the winters you will not like the Falken's.

Next time I am going to try Michelin's Pilot or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I can get them installed cheaper then online prices. They would be about what I paid for my toyo.s

Have to respectfully disagree with your tire guy about the Falken's in the winter mburn......I drive both in the winter......granted on 2 different vehicles, but the Falkens bite better in the slushy stuff & on icy roads better than the Toyo's. heavy rain was about the same....but the Falken definately has the advantage in winter conditions.

Having said that, if it's down to the Falken & the Triple Tread......I'd go with the TT bud.....it will be more expensive (not sure how much.....depends how much price shopping you have done! ;) ) but longevity wise, it will last longer & it has a better warranty. Depending on how long you will be keeping your 98 ES, it just might be the last set of tires you purchase. B) Keep us posted & good luck! ;)

:cheers:

Ok, I am just going by the guy who sells the tires at the tire place in my city. The prices are all 60 to 75 per tire installed (blanced, new stems, road hazard etc). My mom was down getting tires and she got the triple threads..So far, they seem to be noisy like the toyo;s. I need to re-check air. Sister got weather handlers and there were quiet. He gave us a real good deal on them. Felt bad buying them so loooooow. :blink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I am just going by the guy who sells the tires at the tire place in my city.  The prices are all 60 to 75 per tire installed (blanced, new stems, road hazard etc). My mom was down getting tires and she got the triple threads..So far, they seem to be noisy like the toyo;s. I need to re-check air. Sister got weather handlers and there were quiet. He gave us a real good deal on them. Felt bad buying them so loooooow.  :blink:

Haven't noticed any significant noise problems on my wife's Forester personally with the TT's....they don't sound any different than the Michelin X radials that were just replaced.

And don't feel bad about your tire guy.......hey, your going back to him right? So your still giving him business. ;)

And you are liking the tire ??

Didno' have them. I was getting some prices and the guy (personal friend) was giving me prices that were really good. It is like my toyo proxies tpt. I got them for like $300 installed etc. I could get them cheaper now then before if I wanted them. But these will be my last set of toyo's.

He said if I do not like my toyo in the winters you will not like the Falken's.

Next time I am going to try Michelin's Pilot or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I can get them installed cheaper then online prices. They would be about what I paid for my toyo.s

Have to respectfully disagree with your tire guy about the Falken's in the winter mburn......I drive both in the winter......granted on 2 different vehicles, but the Falkens bite better in the slushy stuff & on icy roads better than the Toyo's. heavy rain was about the same....but the Falken definately has the advantage in winter conditions.

Having said that, if it's down to the Falken & the Triple Tread......I'd go with the TT bud.....it will be more expensive (not sure how much.....depends how much price shopping you have done! ;) ) but longevity wise, it will last longer & it has a better warranty. Depending on how long you will be keeping your 98 ES, it just might be the last set of tires you purchase. B) Keep us posted & good luck! ;)

Ok, I am just going by the guy who sells the tires at the tire place in my city. The prices are all 60 to 75 per tire installed (blanced, new stems, road hazard etc). My mom was down getting tires and she got the triple threads..So far, they seem to be noisy like the toyo;s. I need to re-check air. Sister got weather handlers and there were quiet. He gave us a real good deal on them. Felt bad buying them so loooooow. :blink:

Prices are great but only if we know what size??? big difference...

Prices are great but only if we know what size??? big difference...

Not exactly sure what point your trying to make exactly zin? :unsure:

I was just saying your prices you quote are good but it also helps to know what size tires for that price .. Just to be able to compare apples to apples thats all, sorry for confusion.. :D

ZINFANDEL-

unless i am getting vette tires for my es, the prices are not higher then $79 out the door on 99% of tires. The markup is a joke.

Discounttiredirect is good if you do not know anyone. My guy will beat there price and give free install etc.

Nobody around here will even get close to that price. Wish it was easier but tirerack has great prices and discounttires has free shipping which worked out great for me .

ZINFANDEL-

unless i am getting vette tires for my es, the prices are not higher then $79 out the door on 99% of tires. The markup is a joke.

Discounttiredirect is good if you do not know anyone. My guy will beat there price and give free install etc.

Nobody around here will even get close to that price. Wish it was easier but tirerack has great prices and discounttires has free shipping which worked out great for me .

I know. I was going to buy my wifes tires at DTD.com and then I forget all about my tire guy. He will beat online prices.

I know my toyo's were normally about 100, his price last year was $72 out the door. Now I can get them cheaper by about $50.

I think DTD is cheapest I have seen online. Free shipping is great. The only bad side is the mounting, balance, valve stem will be like $10 to 12 each unless you know someone.

Even at wholesale prices, they are making money.

I know my toyo's were normally about 100, his price last year was $72 out the door. Now I can get them cheaper by about $50.

I think DTD is cheapest I have seen online. Free shipping is great. The only bad side is the mounting, balance, valve stem will be like $10 to 12 each unless you know someone.

Even at wholesale prices, they are making money.

In the case of the Toyo's, they are a much older tire now compared to back then mburn & are nearing the end of thier life cycle.....with more newer tire technology available like the TT's as an example. B)

he Toyo's, they are a much older tire now compared to back then mburn & are nearing the end of thier life cycle.....with more newer tire technology available like the TT's as an example.    B)

I agree but they are selling them for the same price as of last year and there cost is very close to what it was last year. $88 per tire (Falken Zeix) is not that bad, but then it goes back my rule on prices. No tire is worth $88 just for a tire. Maybe when I had my Nitto's on my stang with a retail price of over $225 each.

Then again I am sure the region etc plays a big role.

From what I have seen in general, example here; if tires is like $130 retail, there price is always below to show you “a deal”. So in this case it would be around $100 to $105 per tire (for any Joe Blow walking in). 100 to 1 the tire cost between $55 to $70 for them to sell to others dealers, car shops etc. Their real price based on what limited info I have seen is that they are make $10 to $15 per tire to dealers. Even then most shops will install the tire etc to dealers for free.

So a $130 is marked up 2.2 to 3X just for you. Oh, but you get a free aligment..WHOA!

I did not get nor have the Falken Zeix and I hope they are better then my toyos in the snow. The thread does look the same. Next time, I think I am going to get the goodyear TT but then again yoko's have always done well with me.

he Toyo's, they are a much older tire now compared to back then mburn & are nearing the end of thier life cycle.....with more newer tire technology available like the TT's as an example.    B)

I agree but they are selling them for the same price as of last year and there cost is very close to what it was last year. $88 per tire (Falken Zeix) is not that bad, but then it goes back my rule on prices. No tire is worth $88 just for a tire. Maybe when I had my Nitto's on my stang with a retail price of over $225 each.

From what I have seen in general, example here; if tires is like $130 retail, there price is always below to show you “a deal”. So in this case it would be around $100 to $105 per tire (for any Joe Blow walking in). 100 to 1 the tire cost between $55 to $70 for them to sell to others dealers, car shops etc. Their real price based on what limited info I have seen is that they are make $10 to $15 per tire to dealers. Even then most shops will install the tire etc to dealers for free.

So a $130 is marked up 2.2 to 3X just for you. Oh, but you get a free aligment..WHOA!

I did not get nor have the Falken Zeix and I hope they are better then my toyos in the snow. The thread does look the same. Next time, I think I am going to get the goodyear TT but then again yoko's have always done well with me.

But what does arnold say????? lol Deals rock no doubt about it and I must say I do get my share ,but when it comes to tires around here I pay what you pay if you walked into sears....nada deal!!!!! but I am looking foreward to puting my falcens on my new waxed wheels this summer...

But what does arnold say????? lol Deals rock no doubt about it and I must say I do get my share ,but when it comes to tires around here I pay what you pay if you walked into sears....nada deal!!!!! but I am looking foreward to puting my falcens on my new waxed wheels this summer...

sorry guys its a bit early my spelling sucks wow I should proof read first I guess.

why not do this, I was thinking. Take your print out down to a local tire place and see if they match it.

Your spelling is not bad at all. There is another forum I vistit and the kids over there are a joke. If you have your decoder ring .......maybe you can "kind of get it".

I hear a ton of debate about the best tire ,but in my situation I can't get the goodyear triple treads in my size ,and the mx4's dont really have good scores on tire racks site. Most people are looking for quiet smooth ride will longevity and good in snow well I am not interested in the snow part. So could I get anyones opinion on the best summer tire for a 96 es 300 with 215 x 50 17's ? Driven around town for the most part not hugging corners at 60 miles per hour or doing 100 on straight aways. I know nothing much about rounded tires or rolling resistance so any advice will help.  :cheers:

If you really want the best of all worlds, buy the Khumo ASX's. They are reasonably priced, super smooth, quiet and handle very well. The bonus? They have a wear rating of 340 and aren't directional. I have them on my GS430 and they are light years ahead of the Potenzas.

If you really want the best of all worlds, buy the Khumo ASX's. They are reasonably priced, super smooth, quiet and handle very well. The bonus? They have a wear rating of 340 and aren't directional. I have them on my GS430 and they are light years ahead of the Potenzas.

I think a Ford Model T's tires would be light years ahead of the Potenza's! lol :blink::lol::ph34r:

I think a Ford Model T's tires would be light years ahead of the Potenza's! lol :blink::lol::ph34r:

amen. i hate potenzas with a passion.

If you have purchased the falkens, you made an great choice.

$88 a tire isnt that bad, if you look at other tires the same size going for $150 or more.

i just put a set of falkens on my GF's car yesterday, in 205-55-R16, the cheapest tire i could find was $115. then i found a place local who sold falkens, and they were $76 a piece. thats a good bit of difference when multiplied by 4.

And i would stay LIGHT YEARS away from the kuhmo's. personal reasons.

$88 a tire isnt that bad, if you look at other tires the same size going for $150 or more.

i just put a set of falkens on my GF's car yesterday, in 205-55-R16, the cheapest tire i could find was $115.  then i found a place local who sold falkens, and they were $76 a piece.  thats a good bit of difference when multiplied by 4.

And i would stay LIGHT YEARS away from the kuhmo's.  personal reasons.

Excellent Army! B) I personally have never been a fan either of Kuhmo's either. ;)

i just put a set of falkens on my GF's car yesterday, in 205-55-R16, the cheapest tire i could find was $115. then i found a place local who sold falkens, and they were $76 a piece. thats a good bit of difference when multiplied by 4.

And i would stay LIGHT YEARS away from the kuhmo's. personal reasons.

Thats a fact army multiply times four its a big diff. Plus the fact you are getting a very compairable tire also. My 215 50 17's were 75.00 a tire free shipping I thought that rocked. I think the toyo was $125.00, and mx4 was $145.00 so I am happy at this point now I will see how they ride. thanks guys :cheers:

Thats a fact army multiply times four its a big diff. Plus the fact you are getting a very compairable tire also. My 215 50 17's were 75.00 a tire free shipping I thought that rocked. I think the toyo was $125.00, and mx4 was $145.00 so I am happy at this point now I will see how they ride. thanks guys :cheers:

Which Toyo's? And yes, Michelin's are notorious for being one of the most expensive brands you can buy. ;)

Which Toyo's? And yes, Michelin's are notorious for being one of the most expensive brands you can buy. ;)

proxes tpt's lexus $125.00 on performanceplus.com since tirerack dont carry toyo or they would have best internet price .

proxes tpt's lexus $125.00 on performanceplus.com since tirerack dont carry toyo or they would have best internet price .

The Proxes are 'dated' now considering what else is on the market & to be honest, $125.00 seems quite high in that size. ;)

The Proxes are 'dated' now considering what else is on the market & to be honest, $125.00 seems quite high in that size. ;)

Yea they are up there a bit ,and I am not to sure on the directional tires myself. Seems like a tire that you can criss cross would wear better than a directional. I am by far a tire expert more of a tire wana know it all. just my thoughts.

Yea they are up there a bit ,and I am not to sure on the directional tires myself. Seems like a tire that you can criss cross would wear better than a directional. I am by far a tire expert more of a tire wana know it all. just my thoughts.

Nothing wrong with directional tires. Either dierctional or non directional should wear evenly as long as they are rotated on time, correct air pressure maintained, properly balanced & aligned. My Toyo's are evenly warned & directional. ;)

Nothing wrong with directional tires. Either dierctional or non directional should wear evenly as long as they are rotated on time, correct air pressure maintained, properly balanced & aligned. My Toyo's are evenly warned & directional. ;)

Good to know, thanks