Power Steering Pump

JtathBSC400

This car is starting to pi$$ me off!!! I took it to the Lexus dealership to inspect the car and this is what the car needs. So far the Powersteering pump is bad as well as the high pressure line. The dealer quoted me 1,400 dollars to repair the pump, hose and labor. OUCH THATS A LOT OF MONEY FOR A PUMP!!!!!!!! Where can I get one on line and how hard is it to replace the pump and hose? Please help!!!!

its fairly easy to change out the parts.

Where did you buy your pump from? Is a remanufactured pump ok? And I am reading that its suggested that the rack and hoses all be replaced at the same time. Do I need to replace the rack and hoses? This seems like a lot of work for a ten year old car, can I get a way ok with just replacing the pump and hose. Will a good fluid flush and bleed get all of the old particles that caused the old pump to go bad out?

It may be 10 years old but if you want the steering to last longer than 6 months do it right. Pump replacment is fairly simple, as quoted before. NAPA has quality parts and they have a warantee.... try to stay away from an ebay piece. might be cheaper but def not safer. And the rack... how is the steering does it stick when you turn? if the rack is not leaking i say replace all the lines and the pump. Good luck my friend...give her time she is a good car ps that quote the dealer gave you to fix hte pump and lines only...thats crazy

It may be 10 years old but if you want the steering to last longer than 6 months do it right. Pump replacment is fairly simple, as quoted before. NAPA has quality parts and they have a warantee.... try to stay away from an ebay piece. might be cheaper but def not safer. And the rack... how is the steering does it stick when you turn? if the rack is not leaking i say replace all the lines and the pump. Good luck my friend...give her time she is a good car ps that quote  the dealer gave you to fix hte pump and lines only...thats crazy

Thats what the Lexus dealer quoted, they also stated that the pump was replaced at 60000mi and im at 112000mi that seems a little short for a pump. Ive owned a lot of cars and this is the first car that I have ever had to replace a ps pump on, whats up with that. So you suggest that even as old as the car is replace all the powersteering components? What does Napa charge for the pump?

IF the high pressure power steering hose is leaking, look in your area for a hydralic hose repair facility. They can fix those things for a great price. They did mine for $50.00.

Be sure that the High pressure power steering hos is in fact leaking. It sounds like your dealer may be going overboard.

B-T-W, my high pressuer steering hose was 14 years old before it needed replacing.

Sorry about that, 500 for a hose seems a bit much, if I can repair it that would be great, thanks for the advice. The dealership said that everything else looked great, no other leaks. The tech said that is looks like some one took very good care of the car, that makes me a little happier.

yea theres fluid, but the car is so clean I dont know if the guy that sold it to me washed it so well I cant see were its leaking from, i dont know how long this has been a problem, I just want to fix it with as little money as possible so that I can get better things done to it.

I did PS pump work on my SC400 about 2 years ago. It was leaking small amounts and I made the mistake of letting it go until it dripped oil on my alternator and fried it. That alternator is a small fortune for the part alone - and in my opinion the PS pump was too expensive as well.

In Canada, the part costs were Alternator - $990, PS pump - about $400. and then with all the labour - $750 , it would total almost $2500 with taxes.

So, I removed the alternator first - and had it rebuilt for $226, and bought the PS pump rebuild kit for $50 and had a shop rebuild it for another $50. All the labour was done by myself so it totalled about $400 - much less than the $2500.(mind you I had to put my car on a flatbed and have it moved 100 miles and that cost $250)....

Anyways - long story short, the rebuilding of the PS pump (and alternator if you don't do this quick) is not rocket science and a good quality shop will provide a decent warranty for their work (1 yr). I did all the work by finding instructions on websites to change each item and my car has been fine for 2 years now.

You can save some $$ and justify a full set of tools that you can use for a lifetime by doing one or two jobs like this.

(recently I changed my starter motor - and once again - had it rebuilt for $200 to avoid the ridiculous $900 starter motor cost from the dealer - the money I saved from doing it my self is still sitting pretty in my pocket!)

good luck