Eating Oil

91L3xus

I've had to add a quart of oil every month or so. It's not being burnt and I'm not getting any lights on the dash or anything, but I checked my dipstick and it was below the L after only 5 weeks. It;s not being burnt through the exhaust, and I can't smell it. Any ideas? Thanks. :wacko:

I've had to add a quart of oil every month or so.  It's not being burnt and I'm not getting any lights on the dash or anything, but I checked my dipstick and it was below the L after only 5 weeks.  It;s not being burnt through the exhaust, and I can't smell it.  Any ideas?  Thanks.:wacko:

How many miles on the car & no oil leaks present underneith?

:cheers:

131,885 miles on the car as of today, no leaks under the car, on the driveway or any other visible place. I can't really tell the difference when I have oil in it or not, only can tell what the dipstick tells me. :blink:

131,885 miles on the car as of today, no leaks under the car, on the driveway or any other visible place.  I can't really tell the difference when I have oil in it or not, only can tell what the dipstick tells me. :blink:

Its probably the rear valve cover. Pay very close atention to your left and right fenders when you stop at red lights. any White smoke? ever so slight? If so, your rear valve cover is leaking down onto your cat/exhaust manifold and the oil is burning off there. If your not looking for the smoke it can be nearly impossible to see. And you cant see the valve cover leaking even if you look for it, unless you take off the upper intake manifold.

not to worry, this is a common problem on these cars. the ES250 is NOTIRIOUS for it. and it usually happens ever 65K or so, looks like you are lucky it lasted this long.

DO NOT just tighten the valve cover, you will strip the threads on the head, the heads are aluminium. Replace both valve cover gaskets while you are in there. Also the donut seals around the spark plugs.

A shop should be able to do both valve cover gaskets and all the donut seals for $300-$350 if they are honest.

91L3xus,

Not on any Lexus I've owned, but my previous 2 Cressidas used oil only during the last 1000 km before an oil change. During the first 4000 kms the oil did not drop on their dipsticks at all, but in that last 1000 km before the regular oil change, the level would drop about half a litre on both engines. It would appear that as the oil aged, it would lose viscosity, and blow by the rings. Blue smoke was never visible in the exhaust, and there were no oil leaks. Is it possible that you have an engine that's doing the same thing?

I am not very sure of the history of the engine, other than it had been "completely" overhauled by the previous owner at his expense (Lexus dealer manager), but still do not know what was actually done during the process. I do know that my oil hasn't been changed since before I got it (along with the overhaul I guess), and myabe it needs to be changed so that's why its reading low. When I tested the oil, one time was right after it had been on a drive, and the other time it was cold. Both readings were below the L. Checking the valve covers... does that require taking parts of the engine off?

Unlike the old days, you may not ever see blue smoke, the Catalytic converters are so hot, that they burn the oil before reaching the exhaust. I had that happen on a Mercedes 190E, the valve stem seals were leaking ( valve guides were shot) Until I did a cylinder head fix the oil useage was there, but not detectable in the exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...