Starter Problem

tracyterrell

I have a 1999 LX470. About a month ago I began having a problem which the dealership has diagnosed a bad starter (battery is new). When I try to start, all lights come on - but the engine makes no attempt to turnover whatsoever. The bugger is that sometimes, when the planets are aligned - the truck starts up perfectly with no hesitation. This symptom seems to confirm the dealership diagnosis. I read in GS300 forum a suggestion that tapping the starter with a wrench may "align the planets" so that the car can start - this would be great so that I can drive to my mechanic for the service. Trouble is, I don't know how to _find_ the starter. Can someone help? Another other thoughts or stories about this kind of service problem?

i am not sure where it is located but follow one of the main positive wires from the battery terminal and it should lead right to it

also check the battery cables for corrocion at each end as this can cause a hard start situation

now if the starter clicks when the key is turned then it is the starter

if there is no click just the lights dim or nothing then it may be a problem with the solenoid

not moving the starter gear over

just as a thought get your alternator checked for voltage when the engine is hot and when it is cold

as somethimes there are problems with it not supplying enough power

for a restart later

Must be the month for 1999 LX 470 starter problems. Ours is in the shop right now w/only 64K mileage. Sometimes starts, othertimes nothing. When it does start, clicks first and then starts. Lexus dealer checked out and says it's the starter $1100 !! Should I request the solenoid and alternator to be checked BEFORE starter is replaced? Part is on order now.

on the LS 400 the starter is located under the intake manifold now if im not wrong the LX uses the same block as the 400 so the starter should also be located there and thats where the big bill comes from I changed mine and i would charge a good $1000 on that cuz you have to take off the intake and thats not the hardest part the starter is held on by two nuts which is right against the fire wall which is extremely hard to get at. the reason why the starter goes out so quickly is because the engine heat gets to it and you have to think that most of the people in japan dont keep their cars for more than 60,000 miles or about 6 years cus thats when the taxes start to hit them high.

Hi Guys

Yes the starter is under the intake manifold and no fun to replace most of your cost will be labor but that should be covered under powertrain warranty 6yrs 70,000miles check it out.

Thanks

Lextek

• 1 year later...

So glad I found your conversation! My 99 GS400 is acting the same way...the sucky part is that I've only had it for 4 weeks! You guys have confirmed for me what I thought the problem might be. And I've diagnosed it all from LOC! Can't wait to get it running again.

Thanks so much..

Traci

-hopefully the mysterious no-start problem will be solved. BTW-do you recommend checking anything else? I'm at 64,000 and a first time Lex owner. Still learning the ropes.

Sure it's not the starter contacts going bad? A number of guys w/ 98-99 landcruisers on the ih8mud site have had their contacts fail recently. On the V8, replacing the contacts isn't easy like on the old 4 and 6 cylinders (more bananas, as you need to remove the manifold). There are writeups on the ih8mud site. The contacts themselves are only like $20, but I'm sure the dealer isn't going to bother to mention this since they'll make a lot more $$$ selling you a new starter unit.