Wix Fuel Filter Replacement

Gumart1

I know that Wix has a great reputation with filters so I e-mailed them asking about specs on their fuel filters.

"The media in this filter is a cellulose based, high efficiency glass enhanced media. It is 95% efficient at removing 20 micron size particles and larger. Please note, a particle that is 1 micron in size is .000039" in size. Its capacity is approximately 6 grams."

Now I know that OEM is always a good thing and that some aftermarket products could be harmful to a Lexus. I have also seen Monarch's pics of some aftermarket air filters that have damaged the car. But I believe WIX to be one of the best. Does anyone have specifications for an OEM filter to compare? Is it a Denso fuel filter?

Also, I am still debating the replacement as I know Lexus' position is that they are lifetime filters however I seen the pics on some of these old filters and they are pretty ugly. I have about 75k on mine which is probably not that bad.

It's true on a part like a fuel filter the cost savings is minimal. Rockauto sells the WIX filter for $14.67 and shipping is free because I am combining it with other parts. Here is another e-mail from WIX although it is pretty basic:

"The fact the fuel filter for your application is simply an in-line style that can be easily changed shows it is not a "life time" fuel filter. It only has so much physical capacity and this capacity will be used up sooner or later and the filter will have to be changed or the engine will not run correctly. How fast the capacity is used up is directly affected by how much fuel goes through the filter and the cleanliness of each tank of fuel."

Chris Greeson

Senior Technical Service Manager

I guess another question to Lexus Owners would be, how many of you have driven a high mileage LS and actually had symptoms that were caused by a dirty fuel filter that needed replacing?

I guess another question to Lexus Owners would be, how many of you have driven a high mileage LS and actually had symptoms that were caused by a dirty fuel filter that needed replacing?

I haven't, and I'm riding on a fuel filter that has 264k miles on it!

:cheers:

blake918, that's pretty impressive, however if you want to feel a power boost, change the fuel filter and then take it out for a ride you will be amazed!! Gumart, if I don't go with OEM then I would go with WIX as they do make excellent filters. I've cut open my fuel filters after 30K and it does capture a significant amount of sediments and I only fill up at brand name stations. I replace mine at 60K miles interval and when I do I can really feel a difference in power.

I'm not so sure I'd see any improvements since my car is operating just like new with excellent fuel economy and 0-60 times that are in accordance with the factory specifications. Sometime in the future, I might just change it for the hell of it!

:cheers: