Check Engine Light

2001 430, just hit 17k miles, car runs like a top. No mods, unless you count two child car seats!

Check engine light came on two days ago (didn't drive it yesterday), for no obvious reason. Temp is fine, runs just as silky smooth as ever. Assuming it is a sensor somewhere going/gone bad, but any suggestions before I go to the dealership and grab my ankles?

Unhook battery, maybe?

You think I'm asking for trouble by driving it around in the interim?

Not under warranty, by the way. :chairshot:

2001 430, just hit 17k miles, car runs like a top.  No mods, unless you count two child car seats!

Check engine light came on two days ago (didn't drive it yesterday), for no obvious reason.  Temp is fine, runs just as silky smooth as ever.  Assuming it is a sensor somewhere going/gone bad, but any suggestions before I go to the dealership and grab my ankles?

Unhook battery, maybe?

Not under warranty, by the way.:chairshot:

Pull the code on the CEL It's probably a sensor. Let us know what the code is.

2001 430, just hit 17k miles, car runs like a top.  No mods, unless you count two child car seats!

Check engine light came on two days ago (didn't drive it yesterday), for no obvious reason.  Temp is fine, runs just as silky smooth as ever.  Assuming it is a sensor somewhere going/gone bad, but any suggestions before I go to the dealership and grab my ankles?

Unhook battery, maybe?

Pull the code on the CEL It's probably a sensor. Let us know what the code is.

autozone pulls codes for free.

yes, most likely it is a sensor-o2 or knock maybe, but neither should go bad at your mileage.

dont go to the dealer where they will charge you for 10s work.

My check engine light use to come on every 7,500 miles in my old car to remind me to change the oil ect. I just had to reset it when it came on.

In hondas, the "Maintenance Required" indicator reminds the driver to change the oil, not the Check Engine Light.

Unhook battery, maybe?

Better yet, buy the code reader, about $30 at Autozone. Why is it so many people feel they need the dealer to read a code? You'll need the shop manual or a Haynes manual to decipher the code also. They're probably online somewhere, maybe in this forum. If not buy either manual, or the Toyota equivalent.

I got in the car this morning, and the light was off (I've been swamped at work and haven't gotten to an Autozone. I work in the stock market and it's earnings season right now). Guess the car thought "screw it, he's not going to fix me anyway."

I felt bad driving it while it was on, but now it's off, and still running fine. Hit 100 from 80 (80 is normal on this hwy) like nobody's business, nice and smooth, and very quick.

I'll try to get to an Autozone this weekend to see if any codes come up, even though the light is off. I'm thinking O2 sensor, with it going back out like that.

Hmmm. Happened to anyone else?