Buy Warrenty Or Not?

surf_smarter

Hi,

I have a 2002 is 300 with 46k miles, the factory warrenty is about to run out. The car has never been abused. I am wondering if I should buy warrenty or not.

Can i take it to the dealer before the factory warrenty expires and get some extensive check up of the car?

Any suggestion on an extended warrenty company?

Thank you

Any problems you have had to date would have been fixed under warranty already. Most if not, all defective items on your car, should have revealed themselves by now, so you shouldnt have a need for any additional coverage.

As for extensive check up the dealership should be able to do that, if not take an independent shop and have them check it over for you.

this is a loaded question.

It all depends on how well the car is maintained and how well you continue to maintain it. Personally, I can't see spending $2000 for a warranty that may never get used. That is alot of money to pay for piece of mind and roadside assitance considering AAA+ is ~$50/year.

Look at it this way. You are still covered under the powertrain warrany for 7/70,000 miles. That is just for powertrain and even that list is limited, but you have it. As stated before, if any major problems were to happen, they probably would have surfaced by now. Most common items to go after the standard warranty are emissions related equipment and still these may or may not be covered under extended warranties depending on the company you choose to go with. Read the fine print of any company that you consider. Find out what is and what is not covered. Find out how many hoops you have to jump through before any service is covered.

steviej