Analog Stero System

akewlguy

So the Knimachio system is analog? Newer decks and systems are digital (thought all cd's are digital).

My friend who is a stero guy stated one has to replace whole system. What stinks is I think the old system goes with the car.

Anyone have any pictures of after market decks in their LS400?

So the Knimachio system is analog? Newer decks and systems are digital (thought all cd's are digital).

My friend who is a stero guy stated one has to replace whole system. What stinks is I think the old system goes with the car.

Anyone have any pictures of after market decks in their LS400?

I'm guessing you mean Nakamichi, and you dont have to replace the entire system. The nak come with its seperate equlizer for better sound clearity, and it has a 270watts over the stock 190watt pioneer (not sure about the 1st gens). What is this about it being analog? what is your friend talking about?

My friend just said its better to replace whole system. I suspect the 93 N-system deck does not put out much watts since it has an amp at 4 x 40 watts.

Could one replace the 93 deck with a 98?

Someone on a previous post said something about analog?? I dont know what they were talking about..?

Cheers to LEXUS

The parts are not swappable from model years.

Wattage is a marketing tool and really boils down to mean nothing in true audiophile standards.

You need to figure out what and why you want to change/upgrade. Then and only then can a decision be made into the direction you will need to go in replacing and upgrading components.

Analog vs. Digital

No stereo is ever truly 100% digital. If it was then you couldn't actually listen to the music since the human ear can only hear analog sound waves. Somewhere along the line the digital signal has to be converted to an analog signal so you can hear it.

You are correct. The info on your CDs is digitally coded (1's & 0's) on to the disc. The laser reads it and sends the digital signals through a D/A converter. This converter turns the 1's & 0's into an analog signal. Sometimes the D/A converter is in the CD player and sometimes it is in the head unit so the cable going to the head unit may carry an analog or a digital signal. In my Benz it was a fiber optic cable that carried the digital CD player signal to the D/A converter in the Bekker head unit.

Don't get caught up in the digital vs. analog debate. The Nakamichi is a good stereo and was light years ahead of most other stereos made at the time. I wouldn't replace it unless you are having problems. Aftermarket radios look way out of place in the large opening anyway.

After market radios look terrible in our big dashes.. For sure I am going to keep it until I have serious issues. I think the sound is good and if the deck lasted 13 years it is very good.

I have replaced 3 SONY decks in the past 8 years in my other cars.

Cheers to NAMICOSKCHI