Problem Starting Car. Help!

Hi, I'm new here and I need help with my 1995 ES300. For the past couple of months, I've been having problems starting my car. When I turn the key, I hear a clicking noise coming under the hood, but the engine doesn't start. It always eventually starts after I wait some time and turn the key a number of times (up to 10 to 20 times). I thought it might be related to an old battery, and I replaced it, but I'm still experiencing the same problem. I know very little about the mechanics under the hood, and I was hoping that someone can help me with this problem. Thanks.

Hey, its not your battery ...

Im almost positive that its your starter.... the gears on your starter are worn, thats why you have to turn your key numerous times until it catches on.

if thats it... get a new one before you completely wear it and cant start at all...

Thank you for your help.

Is a starter easy to install? Would it be better to take it to a mechanic? Do you have any idea how much it would cost for the starter and the service charge if I take it to a mechanic?

Sorry for asking such simple questions, but I know very little about the workings of a car.

Thanks!

i also agree its the starter if you replaced the battery.its not that hard to replace if you know what your doing and are mechanicley inclined but if you dont do much on cars then i would take it to the mechanic.not sure about the price but check your local parts store.

it may be the starter

but other problems can lead to it

right after the battery aws put in did it start fine?

also is it harder to start after the car has been driven

or when completly cold

one option is to replace the wiring to the body ground and the starter which is about a foot to the right of the battery on the engine

i used to have problems with dead batteries and starting

until i changed the wiring and upgraded them

also make sure the terminals are very secure not loose on the battery

if the starter clicks it means the solenoid is engaging to move the gears to the engine

but it may be insufficent power to the starter to turn

also when it finally does start does it turn over slowly or at normal speed?

• 2 weeks later...

It probably is the starter and almost certainly the contacts located inside the starter, they are replaceble if you are mechanically capable? and cost a few bucks for a new set.

Regards

David