Tube In Trunk

i have a leak in my trunk in addition to everything else.

so the question is about the tube in the trunk where the tool kit and jack are..

there is a cable that i assume goes to the antenna and then a clear tube that i assume goes from the moonroof and out to drain the water..

anyone KNOW!?

i need to figure out where that darn water is coming from, it ruined my tools and if i dont keep putting in dry towels, it could flood my trunk...

gonna have a swimming pool in the trunk soon enough ;)

It's tough to say where the leak is coming from without seeing it, but your best bet is to lay inside the trunk with a flashlight when it's closed and have someone run water on the outside. I would pay special attention to around the taillights, as those tend to be a common leak point on older cars.

If it is the taillights, then you can remove them, clean out all the dirt from the seals and apply a sealant of some sort before reinstalling them.

good luck.

B)

the thing is..there is only water in that one crack in the WAY back in the grove on the side...

so i dunno why the tail-lights would leak there. i checked the rubber, minus the factory holes in it...it's fine.

there is about to be a thunderstorm so we'll see tomorrow....

not so sure i trust anyone to leave me in the trunk, since there is no way out from the inside.

i could always pour on the roof while the trunk is open ;)

lol scared the wife might lock you in there for a few days?my wife would love to do that to me.hehe.did you ever put something in the trunk that barley fit and push on the trunk hard to close it?im thinking maybe the lid is bent a little and that why its leaking

*cough* i dont think they allow same s*x marriages ;)

but yeh, he might just do that.......

and i just got the car so i dunno...still trying to figure out the darn keyless entry stuff.......it doesnt work worth crap......

and im gonna do the trunk thing.....some time when we've got free time....seeing as how its dark and there is a TON of thunder and lighting, i'm not into chilling in a metal box ;)

ill let u know tomorrow..mayb i can get my boss to dump water on me trunk.

the keyless entry does stink because its not made to work from far away.it will only work when your a couple feet from the car.the antenna is in the rear glass so if your walking from the back of the car it will work a little better then the front.or your battery in the remote might be going bad.

Not as long as Bush is president anyway... <_<

Oh, the taillights, if they are the culprit, could leak to almost anywhere. I had taillights in a toyota corolla once leak and it filled up the rear passenger foot area. It accumulates, and when you drive, it could all drain to the lowest spot depending on how your trunk is shaped and where the leak is.

And a solution to the trunk issue is use your reliable wireless trunk release. :D

Or, just wait and get someone to let you out. Might want to hold their car keys or something just to make sure. :rolleyes:

if its a brand new battery then its just the way it is.ive heard so many complaints about the keyless entry not working from far away its amazing.i guess lexus was thinking of security first then keyless entry.

Don't know if this is true for Toyota's but I have seen it on a couple of Hondas. I have seen the Taillight assembly gaskets go bad and allow a minute amopunt of water to drip. So in a big rain, a bit of water accumalates.

Not sure on the taillight assembly on the es300, but this is what was done to check.

1. remove panel to get access to rear of light assembly.

2. Put lots of towels at the bottom/base of the assembly.

3. Wait for rain

4. Check if only the towels get wet.

5. If this is true, remove light assembly and check gasket (in this case, you can see the path path of water flow as it left residue).

6. Buy a new gasket, or be frugal, in the case of the Hondas, you can flip it around, and that worked in this case.

If his is the case, let us know, I haven't heard about Toyotas/ lexus having this issue, but I have seen it on a few Honda/Acuras. In any case, good luck and hope you find the problem.

thanks guys! i

ll check it out before i go to work. ill just do the trunk thing on sunday..... and i don't have a button to open the trunk....just the lock/unlock button.

i had the antenna replaced a couple weeks ago.......how do i check to make sure all that drainage is in order?

as for the lights, i will wait until i move in august. (more freedom to mess with the car).....my parents will pay for any mechanic jobs, but they do not seem worried about any of the issues with the car. *grunt* :chairshot:

also if it was the taillights, would they show it (condensation)?????

it would make sense if it was the taillights, but wouldn't it stain the fabric in the trunk???? because there is no sign of damage to that..... but if it leaks anywhere.....*Sigh* :(

Not ceccassarily,

The water flowed past the gasket so it never entered into the tailight assembly and the water finds its way in the smallest grooves, and this is ussualy under everything, so if there is a path under the carpeting, it is possible to wet the carpeting minimally. You will however see it pooling up in the spare tire wheel well.

AS I said, I don't even know if this applies to Toyota Lexus, as I never took apart the rear assmbly, but if all else fails.......the check is easy enough

ok so i looked at the trunk today (not the spare tire area....ill do that later today i suppose). there was no water, no wet towel...and yet there was a storm last night *Shrug*

and i looked at all the paneling, someone had taken it ALL apart because many of the fasteners are missing and the fabric was put back incorrectly (not flush, fastened, hanging on, etc).....

so i assume there was a previous problem of some sorts.....

<_<

and i tried the keyless entry again......it didn't beep after i did the ON/OFF thing.

*Grunt* im going to try with the other key when i get home.....is there anything in the previous key post that i might have missed.....any specific details in the intructions????

well if the ant was replaced

the person may have thought they needed to remoe the panelling

it is on the passanger side not the drivers side of the trunk ,right?

also the lights are just connected to the car by 5 nuts and the lights' screws

so water can seep in them and not soak the surrounding materiala as there is insualtion seperating it

where looking for the leak you will need to remove all of the trunk trim paneling to see hwere it might be draining 2

don't forget the light as it will be dark in tehtrunk

also make sure the nut for the base of the ant is secure

if it is not then it will let water into the trunk as well

the ant has a hose loook for it and make sure it is connected to go outside of the vehicle not just sitting of to the side

Sounds like it may be more serious than this, but it might help to dress all the rubber trunk seals with spray silicone. It softens them up and may provide a more effective seal. Same goes for the tail light gaskets.

Also if somethings going to leak, it will usually do so a high pressure automatic "touchless" car wash.

so 3 things:

1)keys magically work now.....dunno how.

2) there was no water in the trunk today again....which is really weirding me out....cuz i drove through 3 different DOWNPOURS, so much i couldn't see out the windshield

3) the problem with the acceleration continues, this time, i let the car drive itself (as in, you know how automatics want to go and you have to keep your foot on the brake?) and it started JERKING! not freezing at 2000 rpm, but jerking (obviously since i wasn't pushing the gas pedal).....the rpm's were jerking like i was in a manual car and learning how to drive.

and it made that jerky car noise.....rpm's keep bouncing up...

then it gave up....

this usually takes about a minute after starting the car and driving first thing in the morning...

glad things got better witht he car

but i think it needs to be taken to a pro to look at it

i think the fringe of web diagnosis has been reached with out being able to see it sorry

it sounds like it is gonna take some money to fix

yeh it gave out tonight so Eze it out of commission. he is going into the shop on monday......so who knows when i'll go back to work *Shrug* just hope he gets fixed. thanks for all yall's help.....i'll let you know what it ends up being. :(