Ls-400 Nakamichi Speakers

sward

My 1990 LS-400 with the Nakamichi audio system has experienced it's third failure out of the four midrange door speakers. The speakers become distorted, and then a few months later, fail completely. This issue has been discussed in these forums previously, and appears to be a common problem in the Nakamichi systems. A company that repairs Nakamichi systems in California refers to this problem on their website: http://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm.

The problem is this: I replaced my first speaker for about $350 (parts only) at the Lexus dealer about two years ago. The second speaker a few months ago was $450. The cost of my third speaker has now escalated to $850 at the dealer! :pirate:

Is anyone aware of repair options for these speakers, such as replacement of the driver in the enclosure or repair of the driver? I checked with a large web based speaker repair company, and they say they can't get parts. I checked with the California Lexus audio repair website listed above, and they don't know of anybody that can do this type of repair. Several members of this forum suggested repair options for the subwoofer, but the sealed midrange units are certainly a different animal.

Any suggestions short of an $800 dealer replacement would would be appreciated. :(

Screw that.. I would replace the whole system. You can get better speakers, deck and everything for less then 1500 bucks. In reality decks now have 50 watts per channel. Our systems only have 40 watts from the amp.

As for the speakers they are okay at best. I just took them out and they are one way 4" speakers. Overall the system sounds okay when it works, but if mine goes bad I will trash!

You paid $400 dollar for one speaker? Holy shi... that is bs!

Cheers to LEXUS

Agree 100%. These Lexus stereos, including the Nakamichi are way overhyped.

Remember, this is 15 year old technology at this point. I would replace the speakers with good replacement 5.25"'s for the doors. I swapped out all 4 of mine with Infinity's for about $150. They sound much better than stock. I also swapped out the sub with a JBL open box deal I got for $50. It sounds better than when it left the factory...

Bob

are there better speakers and sub that will go with the HU and amp? the amp is 4 channel right?and are you saying that we only get 40watts for the whole amp while other amps get 40 per channel=160watts?

From what I understand its 4x40 = 160 watts. Most decks for 100 bucks now produce 4 x 50 = 200 watts..

This system is 12+ years old and paying anything over 50 bucks for a speaker is a complete rip off. You can buy two brand new Infinity 2 ways for less then $150.

These systems do last a long time and I give LEXUS props.. I suppose not having the amp in the deck reduces heat and helps with the life, but the cost of a speaker or anything else is pathetic. A new 10+ disk CD player is like $150 bucks, new decks with MP3 capiblity is like $175, 4 - 5.5" speakers is about $300 and then installation would be about $250+. This would be a system that would destroy the 13 year old Nakamichi system.

Recently I took apart the door and compared the quality of the speaker to other 3-5 year old speakers. Everything for the most part was better then the one way speaker.

I dont see how your speakers were failing? Typically the speaker would pop or sound like crap, but I dont think they just go dead. Usually that is a channel in the amp or deck. I would look at the bill and figure out why different prices and what was done?

From what I understand its 4x40 = 160 watts. Most decks for 100 bucks now produce 4 x 50 = 200 watts..

These systems do last a long time and I give LEXUS props.. I suppose not having the amp in the deck reduces heat and helps with the life, but the cost of a speaker or anything else is pathetic. A new 10+ disk CD player is like $150 bucks, new decks with MP3 capiblity is like $175, 4 - 5.5" speakers is about $300 and then installation would be about $250+. This would be a system that would destroy the 13 year old Nakamichi system.

this is really interesting i want to put a flip screen n that looks almost factory but i dont want ton spend lost of money

Right now I'm running 4" Kappas in the front doors with stock tweeters. I haven't even gotten rear door speakers yet. I have a 12" ported box in the trunk. With the stock head unit, a/d/s 4 channel amp and alpine mono amp the system sounds amazing for what it is. No complaints. Can't wait to upgrade the stock tweeters and add rear door speakers.

• 2 months later...

for what its worth, the nakamichi system is probably super-low distortion both in IM and thd+n. Ive worked as a recording engineer for a long time and have pretty well trained ears, ive heard things on my lexus nak system,with cds i know very well,that ive never heard before, little elements and such. Stock it is a very well executed and balanced system especially for being an almost 20 year old design. Why its $800 for a speaker i have no idea. By the way my passenger side front door is dead,tweeter and mid. It would have be the pre-amp of that channel OR if these speakers are wired in series than if mid died then perhaps no power gets to tweeter?!? Food for thought............