Sirius Upgrade Kit For 400h

Hi everyone,

I just made an appointment with my local Lexus dealership to take my 400H in on Thursday, Oct. 20th to have the new Lexus Sirius satellite radio upgrade installed. I'm not completely familiar with details, but the person I spoke with confirmed for me that the interface/controls are displayed through the navigation touchscreen and the antennae/receiver will be placed just up and under the rear view mirror.

Is anyone else familiar with this upgrade? From what I heard it just came out this week so I don't have many details. I was hoping there might be some sort of additional audio input jack available to allow hook-up of an ipod (or other device) directly into the sound system. (I have the RSES, but unfortunately, those A/V jacks don't pass through the audio to the main sound system.)

I'm curious as to what the controls & interface on the nav screen will look like and how the satellite radio upgrade is incorporated & accessed through the nav screen.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi everyone,

I just made an appointment with my local Lexus dealership to take my 400H in on Thursday, Oct. 20th to have the new Lexus Sirius satellite radio upgrade installed.  I'm not completely familiar with details, but the person I spoke with confirmed for me that the interface/controls are displayed through the navigation touchscreen and the antennae/receiver will be placed just up and under the rear view mirror.

Is anyone else familiar with this upgrade?  From what I heard it just came out this week so I don't have many details.  I was hoping there might be some sort of additional audio input jack available to allow hook-up of an ipod (or other device) directly into the sound system.  (I have the RSES, but unfortunately, those A/V jacks don't pass through the audio to the main sound system.)

I'm curious as to what the controls & interface on the nav screen will look like and how the satellite radio upgrade is incorporated & accessed through the nav screen.

Thanks!

Mike

holy crap, I am calling my lexus dealership right now!

This is a dealer kit. Even it isn't officially supported for the RX, it works fine. It's the same thing we Prius and Sienna owners have been using, a genuine Toyota kit to fit a Camry Solara or similar.

The only caveat is the display is limited to 10 characters instead of 16. Other than that, it works perfectly.

Nate

Does it require harness/cable wiring modifications, or is it plug&play? I thought I had heard that some mods were required for the 400h...

This is a dealer kit.  Even it isn't officially supported for the RX, it works fine.  It's the same thing we Prius and Sienna owners have been using, a genuine Toyota kit to fit a Camry Solara or similar.

The only caveat is the display is limited to 10 characters instead of 16.  Other than that, it works perfectly.

Nate

No, it's a single connector on a "Y". Plugs into the back of the radio, existing connector plugs into the included "Y" harness.

The only "modification" might be the mounting, or if you opt for an aftermarket antenna, like I did. The mounting is specific to certain vehicles, but you probably just need some double-sided sticky foam tape (from home depot or Napa or otherwise).

Nate

I saw a post in another Lexus forum about Sirius radio. Both Stevens Creek Lexus and Longo Lexus in cali are running a serious Sirius promotion that includes free installation and 9 months no charge of satellite radio service. From what i am told this also includes the components and it works thru the nav display. They are putting this on every new Lexus they sell and will install it on cars they have sold that are already off the lot. I have no affiliation with them and live in washington, i did call and verify all the info with them. They will install the Sirius radio in cars they didnt sell however those will not be included in the free promotion. They are part of the Penske automotive group and have a special relationship with Sirius.

Hi everyone,

Now I seem to be getting conflicting information from Longo Lexus. At first I was told that this Sirius upgrade kit will integrate with the nav system/touchscreen interface. Now, I was told that this was a mistake and it instead will display info through the regular radio text display (similar to VAISTECH's solution.) Here's another thread about the same thing at clublexus.com:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...415

Does anyone know truly how this upgrade kit that is being offered will integrate with the system?

Thanks,

Mike

The people at the Stevens Creek parts dept and sales floor were helpful, I was on hold and spoke to both of them, not everyone is familiar with their promotion. Here is the number for the Stevens Creek Lexus dealer, 1.866.743.3324 see if you can get more accurate info than i did.

To my knowledge, nobody has added radio functionality to the RX400h screens. That would require a serious software change. All of the units I have seen use the standard radio display as the satellite radio interface. As you will see in the message below, I helped the guy do the installation and it is actually a very simple solution which is minimally invasive to your car.

Here is a copy of the posting I made on the XM thread on Sept. 20th:

Well guys,

I went up to North Jersey today and played guinea pig for the prius xm folks' xm radio installation. The bottom line is, IT WORKS GREAT. It is completely integrated with my existing radio (no outside controllers, wires, etc.). As I scroll through the radio bands, I now have 3 satellite bands available for storing presets.

This company was very cool and did a great job on the install so if you are in reasonable proximity to the Morristown, NJ area I would recommend that you let them do the install, though I must admit that if you are moderatly handy, this install will be a piece of cake.

In addition to the XM install, they also tested their Sirius unit and it worked perfectly. I am extremely satisfied and it was much more reasonably priced than the VAIS unit.

The control unit mounted easily under a rear storage tray near the hatch and running the cable through the car was a piece of cake. The satellite antenna was installed right behind the GPS antenna and you can hardly tell its there.

Any questions, let me know. You can check this guy out at the following url's.

http://www.priusxm.com/

http://www.siriusprius.com/

• 3 weeks later...
I got the Sirius Satellite radio installed.  Attached are a couple photos showing the size & location of the antenna as well as an example of the unscrollable text display on the radio unit.

post-18993-1130882796_thumb.jpg

Youch!! Is that the antenna on your windshield?? The unit I had installed uses a small 1 inch square antenna that went behind the GPS radio on the roof in the back. See my previous post for details.

• 2 weeks later...