Wiper Chatter

Jono

I've tried a lot of approaches to get rid of windshield wiper chatter on my '92 SC400. The chatter does not happen when the windshield is initially clean but after only several miles in rainy conditions, the wipers start making noise. Here's what I've done but none of them have made much of a difference:

Tried various brands of wipers blades: OEM and aftermarket, including teflon coated

Replaced the wiper arms with new ones

Installed a new windshield (previous one needed to be replaced anyway)

Used different windshield cleaning and polishing products

Tried several Rain-X type products

Teflon window washing fluid

About the only thing I haven't done yet is the wiper motor and linkages.

I've searched many websites that deal with this subject and I'm out of solutions, and frankly exasperated.

Any suggestions out there (other than getting rid of the car) ???

Have you checked to see whether the wiper arm itself is warped/bent? This happens when you have the wiper arm up...and then proceed to open your hood. The hood will hit the arm...and either hit it back or possibly bend the arm. I accidentally did this on one of my cars.

You might also want to check to see that the wiper arm is firmly bolted in place. Look for the nut at the base of the arm, as it may have loosened over time.

Have you checked to see whether the wiper arm itself is warped/bent?  This happens when you have the wiper arm up...and then proceed to open your hood.  The hood will hit the arm...and either hit it back or possibly bend the arm.  I accidentally did this on one of my cars.

You might also want to check to see that the wiper arm is firmly bolted in place.  Look for the nut at the base of the arm, as it may have loosened over time.

Thanks for the responses. The arms are straight and the bolts are tight. Although I haven't opened the hood while the arms were up, I can easily see that happening. I have the old wiper arms so I'll experiment with various spring tensions. (not sure how since they're not adjustable but I'll innovate)