Transmission Filter

lenore

I think this is one of the better discussions on the Lexus transmissions, and I hate to dumb it down with less technical issues, but what exactly is the problem(s) with the Lexus transmission, particularly in the AWD? I've read many of the posts on this site concerning issues of overheating, faulty filters, slippage, etc. But what has caused all of this? Lexus, of all car builders, must have known how to properly build a transmission. How did all of this happen?

And specifically for Cardona6569, you mentioned several products for slipping and overheating transmissions (e.g. TransX, Slick 50, and Towkool). Can you elaborate a little more on these products, and where could I get them? My transmission always hesitates in the morning, when the tranny is cool. It won't shift from 2nd 3rd gear until RPMs climb above 3,000. But other than that, I don't seem to have any problems with the tranny. Which product would you recommend??

Thanks.

Your transmission will always remain sluggish first thing in the morning (or whenever the vehicle is initially cranked up for the first time each day). Until normal operating temperatures are reached (typically a couple of minutes or so), all RX300 models will shift sluggishly and harshly. That is a Toyota characteristic which I was not aware of until about a month after we purchased my wife's RX.

Nothing you add to your transmission fluid will alleviate this problem. I think it would be a mistake to introduce a foreign substance into your transmission pan. Stay with Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid until you no longer have an interest in pursuing a failed transmission with Lexus. At that point you may want to switch to a synthetic transmission fluid in an effort to possibly gain better lubrication and endurance, but I would not make that move until you are absolutely sure that you've reached the point where you don't expect Lexus to financially assist you with transmission failure should yours decide to roll over and die.

Your transmission will always remain sluggish first thing in the morning (or whenever the vehicle is initially cranked up for the first time each day).  Until normal operating temperatures are reached (typically a couple of minutes or so), all RX300 models will shift sluggishly and harshly.  That is a Toyota characteristic which I was not aware of until about a month after we purchased my wife's RX.

Nothing you add to your transmission fluid will alleviate this problem.  I think it would be a mistake to introduce a foreign substance into your transmission pan.  Stay with Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid until you no longer have an interest in pursuing a failed transmission with Lexus.  At that point you may want to switch to a synthetic transmission fluid in an effort to possibly gain better lubrication and endurance, but I would not make that move until you are absolutely sure that you've reached the point where you don't expect Lexus to financially assist you with transmission failure should yours decide to roll over and die.

Hi: I have to agree, in the mornings there is the tendency for the tranny not to shift properly, but I would use Trans X after have checked for proper fluid fill and changed filter. Trans X can be bought in Autozone, Pepboys, or Western Auto, and in many major autoparts. I have used the product and it works. But checking fluid fill as per the owners manual tells you how to do it it is the first step. Second make sure you change filter and clean the magnets in the pan if so equiped, if after this is correct then you could use the aditive, after your warranty is gone, not before, if not need to go to your friendly dealer and make sure they know what the problem is.

Sincerely

C. PR

• 2 weeks later...
well I did it, installed the transmission filter (Perma Cool).  Made a bracket to lift the mount for the filter 3/4 inch from the left frame next to the radiator and under the battery.  Looks neat, took existing transmission line off tranny and hooked to the output of the filter and made a new line from the tranny to input of the filter.

The filter is same size as a PH8 ford filter (quite large) and spins on.  Filled the filter full of TYpe IV and tested car, works great and no leaks.  Now my 99 Lexus RX has a real filter that can be changed by spinning a filter on and also provides additional fluid to the total.  Next a cooling fan to the aux tranny cooler.  Maybe to be switched on during heavy commute traffic and high outside temps.  Will keep everybody posted.  By the way the filter assembly ended up costing about $35 but the filters are cheap at any auto parts store. :rolleyes:

I lost my trans this weekend. I added to your Trans Thread. Who in the hell is the Monarch? He sounds like he is from corporate Lexus waving their flag.

Looking for solutions to keep this happening again. The wife loves this SUV and I feel it is still nicest vehicle out there in its class but if this really a bad problem it is gone after i fix it. Can you post a picture of what you did? I hope you found the solution!

I am hoping to find a bone yard trans for 1000.00 and install at my buddies for 500.00.

Should I get my rebuilt or does it screw it up to bad and shelled?

Sorry I have no pictures, but the kit was posted by SK, Once you mount the filter assembly on the left frame the rest is easy. I have no idea if this is a solution, but more of just extra insurance. Cooling fan on the aux cooler is next.

• 3 months later...

I installed the external transmission filter several months ago. Initially, I saw improvement in the cold morning shifting (I'm in Miami, so "cold" is relative). But after several months with the filter, I have gone back to the morning shift problem, which everyone says is "normal" for Toyota transmission.

Recently, however, I've noticed that my transmission will have difficulty engaging, particularly when I accelerate after coming to rolling stop, or even from complete stop. I'll hit the gas and nothing will happen for a second or two and then the tranny will engage. Is this the beginning of the end for this tranny, or am I just being paranoid?

Has anyone had any luck with Lexus providing any other answer for this AWD transmission problem other than "its performing as designed..."? Any recommendations for this slippage / hesitation? Would any additive help out such as the TransX or the TowKool?

I'm really tempted to just trade it in while its still running - I should trade into Lexus and give them their own problem back.

Your current experiences sound very similar to what my wife experienced in her 2000 RX300 AWD in October/November 2003 at around 47,000 to 48,000 miles. She would be on the highway running about 60 mph, attempt to accelerate and pull into the left lane to pass a slower vehicle in front of her, and her transmission would experience "brain freeze" for two to three seconds and not respond to any increase in foot pressure on the accelerator. This scared the hell out of her, made her lose all confidence in the vehicle, and became the catalyst of my requiring Lexus to replace her transmission under warranty at no cost to us in mid-November 2003.

Her vehicle now shows about 104,500 miles and she's yet to experience a similar situation with the current transmission. But it still shifts far more harshly through the low gears (as did the original transmission) than a $40,000 vehicle ever should.

Who installed your auxillary transmission filter? And how frequently are you changing your Type T-IV fluid? I'm changing ours every 30,000 miles but there are some on this site who do so every 15,000 miles.