Run Flats

Ed S

Run flats are a bit noisy but if you want a tire that has amazing road feedback they are amazing for that.

As the sidewall is so stiff it returns  corners to the steering wheel with precision.

I did not know this, thats very interesting SK.

Run flats are a bit noisy but if you want a tire that has amazing road feedback they are amazing for that.

As the sidewall is so stiff it returns  corners to the steering wheel with precision.

'06 GS 300AWD comes standard w/run flats. I've been told by the dealer to expect 18-24K max life on the tread. Car does seem to handle very well, but the ride is a bit hard. 3 days after I bought the car, I picked up a nail, the tire presure warning light came on, I was able to drive the car home 25 miles on the run flats at 60MPH w/no prob. So, there is def something to be said about not having to change a flat. I'll decide whether or not to stick w/run flats when I'm ready for new tires.

'06 GS 300AWD comes standard w/run flats. I've been told by the dealer to expect 18-24K max life on the tread. Car does seem to handle very well, but the ride is a bit hard. 3 days after I bought the car, I picked up a nail, the tire presure warning light came on, I was able to drive the car home 25 miles on the run flats at 60MPH w/no prob. So, there is def something to be said about not having to change a flat. I'll decide whether or not to stick w/run flats when I'm ready for new tires.

For what ever it is worth...I am not a fan of run flats..They are a good idea...just the cost ($300.0 + plus the lack of availablity make them a pain.

At least the GS 300 has a spare.

BMW 3 seies do not even have a spare

thats very unfortunate...altleast you know the tires live up to your expectations

• 3 weeks later...

So ironic, i just got my 2006 GS and was talking to my friend whose got a 530 BMW and I was making fun of the run flat tires he has, it turns out that my car has the same tires :whistles:

...well am not bothered, but i do have a quesiton, if the tire hits a nail, and is puncutred, whats the max speed i could run on it without harming it and can it be fixed in the same way i use to fix my regular tires (place a glued ribber in the hole, pump and ride)?

At least i have a spare tire :D my friend doesn't so my ods are 20% his are 25% to having to change a tire if anythings goes kaboooom :wacko:

So ironic, i just got my 2006 GS and was talking to my friend whose got a 530 BMW and I was making fun of the run flat tires he has, it turns out that my car has the same tires :whistles:

...well am not bothered, but i do have a quesiton, if the tire hits a nail, and is puncutred, whats the max speed i could run on it without harming it and can it be fixed in the same way i use to fix my regular tires (place a glued ribber in the hole, pump and ride)?

At least i have a spare tire  :D my friend doesn't so my ods are 20% his are 25% to having to change a tire if anythings goes kaboooom  :wacko:

You can drive up to 55mph for 100 miles before having to replace the tires. As for repair, I'm not sure but you may have to get a new tire.

OK, I'm new to run flats, and also my GS300, so here's my question. Does the information display tell you WHICH tire is low, or just that there's a fault and you need to go out and inspect all four tires? Thanks for your reply.

OK, I'm new to run flats, and also my GS300, so here's my question.  Does the information display tell you WHICH tire is low, or just that there's a fault and you need to go out and inspect all four tires?  Thanks for your reply.

All it will tell you is that one of the tires is experiencing low pressure so you'll have to go out and look.

The other thing that sucks about run flats is that your local tire shop in general is not going to be able to fix a flat. The dealer has to do it for about $300 (at least that's the case with BMW). I've heard a lot of people recommending the tire insurance which runs about $400 for 3-4 years. It will pretty much pay for itself with one flat.

It's a shame that full size spares aren't still an option in all cars. I would certainly not mind paying more for one.

smcd- Your GS should have a full size spare...

Personally one of the first things I'd do if I bought a new car with Runflats is replace the runflats with normal tires...

Yeah, my current GS does have a run flat - just talking about the new cars since I re-entered the market recently.

Replacing the tires is really expensive so not sure that is a good option either.

- Sean

The other thing that sucks about run flats is that your local tire shop in general is not going to be able to fix a flat.  The dealer has to do it for about $300 (at least that's the case with BMW).  I've heard a lot of people recommending the tire insurance which runs about $400 for 3-4 years.  It will pretty much pay for itself with one flat.

It's a shame that full size spares aren't still an option in all cars.  I would certainly not mind paying more for one.

Not true, dealer fixed nail puncture in run flat for $35. Repair and ride is perfect.