New Lx - What Do You Think Of This Deal...

hook

So I have been shopping around for a while now...here's the best offer I have on the table. Tell me what you think.

New '06 LX, spoiler, crossbars and roof rack = 61246 (MSRP = 68377).

The only hesitation I have, besides if gas hits $5/gallon, is that it is an out of state dealer....but conveniently located in the same town my mom works in. My parents have graciously agreed to drive it down next month (they were going to visit anyhow). Or I could save them the sore behinds and have it transported for $1000...I dont know...havent decided.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with transporting (Lexus would set this up with a company they say they use often...no fly-by-night companies)? Also what do you think of the offer...is it the best I am going to do (over 7k off MSRP)? Texas dealers wont go more than about 4k! And before you make the comment, yes, I am the type who would drive 100 miles to save $100...even if it cost $95 in gas...it's the principle! I'm taking the best deal even if it means more time/effort on my part.

You guys have been a wealth of knowledge, what do y'all think?

In June, I bought a fully-loaded 2006 Land Cruiser for $800 over the dealer invoice (or approx. $7,200 off MSRP). I had to have it shipped from LA to SF. It cost around $350 for that distance. I bought the truck through a car buying service, Cartelligent, so they arranged the shipping company, etc.

Not sure if that's apple-to-apples, but given the sustained high gasoline prices, I venture to guess you have more bargaining power now than ever before.

I'd try to get the Texas dealer to match the out of state price, or at least match + $500 to them (b/c of the hassle factor of buying from out of state).

That being said, aren't there sales tax savings if you bought from out of state? Might be worth it then to buy from out of state?

Thanks for sharing your info - you got a great deal too! Unfortunately there's no tax break for me but no tax penalty either. If I had bought in CA and had it shipped to TX I'd have to pay 8.25% to CA and, if the tax rate were higher in TX, I'd have to pay the difference to them. But it's only 6.25% here in TX. I am actually buying where the tax rate is lower than Texas...so when I register it here, Tx will make me fork over the difference. Either way I HAVE to pay 6.25% but at least I wont be buying in CA where it'd be 2% more.

I test drove one more time today to be sure it's what I want...the dealers in Texas wont play though...no more than 4500 off MSRP...guess there's too many rich people down here who want it now and will pay whatever it takes....not me though!

With regard to shipping, was it exposed to the elements or totally covered. Did you have any scratches or dings you had to get them to fix? I'm nervous...it's a 30 hour drive so it'd stop overnight at least once somewhere.

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for sharing your info - you got a great deal too!  Unfortunately there's no tax break for me but no tax penalty either.  If I had bought in CA and had it shipped to TX I'd have to pay 8.25% to CA and, if the tax rate were higher in TX, I'd have to pay the difference to them.  But it's only 6.25% here in TX.  I am actually buying where the tax rate is lower than Texas...so when I register it here, Tx will make me fork over the difference.  Either way I HAVE to pay 6.25% but at least I wont be buying in CA where it'd be 2% more.

I test drove one more time today to be sure it's what I want...the dealers in Texas wont play though...no more than 4500 off MSRP...guess there's too many rich people down here who want it now and will pay whatever it takes....not me though!

With regard to shipping, was it exposed to the elements or totally covered.  Did you have any scratches or dings you had to get them to fix?  I'm nervous...it's a 30 hour drive so it'd stop overnight at least once somewhere.

Thanks for the input!

There weren't any scratches or dings; it was shipped on a double decker auto hauler. I assume it was exposed, and not covered. I'm sure they have inspections, etc. before the car is released to you. Good luck.