Nakamichi Probs

sc_toy

Hey all,

When I first bought my SC the stereo was working fine, although the previous owner had clipped some of the wires to install their own amp. I fixed all that to install my amps (being doing this kinda thing for a long time so I know the wiring is right).

Anyway, lately I've only been able to play 'normal' CDs. Any CD I've burnt will usually play a song or two but it hunts between songs and sometimes ends up playing something 4-5 tracks away.

I was thinking it's likely that the changer is old and doesn't like burnt CDs, so I was wondering if a 96-97 or so changer would plug right in to my '92 Nak head unit. And if so does anybody have a later model changer they'd be willing to sell???

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Hey all,

When I first bought my SC the stereo was working fine, although the previous owner had clipped some of the wires to install their own amp. I fixed all that to install my amps (being doing this kinda thing for a long time so I know the wiring is right).

Anyway, lately I've only been able to play 'normal' CDs. Any CD I've burnt will usually play a song or two but it hunts between songs and sometimes ends up playing something 4-5 tracks away.

I was thinking it's likely that the changer is old and doesn't like burnt CDs, so I was wondering if a 96-97 or so changer would plug right in to my '92 Nak head unit. And if so does anybody have a later model changer they'd be willing to sell???

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

sc_toy, The 12 disc changers always break, They are made by Fujitsu not Pioneer and they always fail. The SC guys get a pioneer 6 disc. Check your email.

sc_toy,

98 or OLDER ES300 6-disc changers will plug right up to the harness and the head-unit will control it perfectly. Not too sure on 99 or newer changers.

Regards

Nick T

Check out this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=19520

This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I've tried using better media (the $1 a piece maxell instead of $.30 a piece cheapie stacks), I always burn at or below 12x, etc. So I guess that old 12 disc must just be very picky.

I'm glad the ES unit will work out, I like my head unit, and I don't think the SC dash is well suited for an aftermarket head unit (doesn't it have a slightly wider top than bottom?)

Getting an ES changer from a yard around Toronto should be a piece of cake there are tons of ES's here.

Thanks again for the help,

Aaron

• 2 months later...
Hey all,

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I have been having a similar issue. When it happens the CD errors out. I found that if I select the changer back to #1 it will play again. After that, I can go to any CD in the changer and it will work for awhile. The CD in #1 is brand new.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I had to replace the changer in my 98 SC with a changer from a '92. When the 98 changer was working, it would play CD-Rs fine. With the 92, I found that it ONLY liked CD-R made by Taiyo Yuden and burned at 8x or below. Taiyo Yuden also is sold under the Fuji brand. (If you buy the Fujis, make sure they are made in Japan, not Taiwan, as that apparently makes a difference). If you are going to buy a replacement, I suggest that you try to obtain one from a later model SC. Of course, the '92 changer is now not working, so I am getting 6-disc player from a '96 ES. From what I've read, the '96 ES changer works much better than the SC changers. Ultimately, my hope is that someone will market an adapter that will plug into the SC head unit, to which I can attach a Bluetooth through which I can play my iPod.