Pressure Washed Engine, Now It's Stumbling

rizinglion

I wish I had read some of the previous posts about engine detailing before deciding to have my engine bay cleaned. I've done it a million times with my 300zx, never a problem. Did it the first year I bought it (95 sc300), why a problem now, go figure?

Now my engine is vibrating like crazing and misfiring as well. Had to carry it to the mechanic and let it sit. Said he found like 20 codes, unbelievable on a car of this type. Lots of fuel smell, the injectors were wet. So we're letting it dry out for a day or two, then take a crack at it again. DAmn, I just had the full timing belt and tune up done, close to $2k. What's next?

Anyone else experienced with these problems?

Thanks for the input SK. got the call early this morning, sparkplugs and wires were still soaked after two days. Have to replace them and to make things worse, I had a tune up done only two weeks ago. Man, this is unbelievable.

The irony of keeping the engine clean to spot future problems turned out to be a problem in itself. Going down to talk to them now.

TO ALL WHO READ THIS. DO NOT PRESSURE WASH A LEXUS ENGINE, BY ALL MEANS...

You have a lying peice of shyyt mechanic.

Go and pick up your car right now!

Spark plugs NEVER CAN GET SOAKED TO NEED REPLACING EVER!!!!

All that needs to be done is to pull off the boots and blow them out with high pressure air.Spark plugs are made of ceramic and metal neither are affected by water to ever warrant replacing.

If by chance you have already had him take them out and replce them.

Make him show you the old ones before you leave and pull 1 plug from the engein before you will pay him. I would be willing to be a weasel who charges to replace a wet plug is just going to dry them and reinstall and say they are new.

You can pressure wash a lexus or any car , you just have to know what you are doing before hand not after in terms of protecting the engine in certain parts.

I just had my 95' SC300 seals replaced, timing belt, serp belt , egr valve etc. They left the engine bay filthy so I headed to my nearest DIY pressure carwash. they use very hot water and an engine degreaser mode. It worked great for me, no problems and it looks like new.

I suggest in the future to keep the engine running while power washing and only use HOT water- Don't do it at home with cold water, takes too long to dry.

Steve

I wish I had read some of the previous posts about engine detailing before deciding to have my engine bay cleaned.  I've done it a million times with my 300zx, never a problem.  Did it the first year I bought it (95 sc300), why a problem now, go figure?

Now my engine is vibrating like crazing and misfiring as well.  Had to carry it to the mechanic and let it sit.  Said he found like 20 codes, unbelievable on a car of this type.  Lots of fuel smell, the injectors were wet.  So we're letting it dry out for a day or two, then take a crack at it again.  DAmn, I just had the full timing belt and tune up done, close to $2k.  What's next?

Anyone else experienced with these problems?

damn, you've got me on that one. Should've wrapped up the components.

I took the car back, it's running much better now unfortunately couldn't stop the changing of the plugs and the labor since the work had already been initiated. That's the last time they'll see my car. The check engine light is still on so I'm gonna run it to the dealer tomorrow.

Code 41, I believe that's the throttle position sensor. Would replace it myself if it's a DIY... still think I need a proper diagnostics done... What's your thoughts on that SK?

I brought my 95' SC300 in for "check engine light" and it was caused by a plugged egr valve.

Steve

damn, you've got me on that one.  Should've wrapped up the components. 

I took the car back, it's running much better now unfortunately couldn't stop the changing of the plugs and the labor since the work had already been initiated.  That's the last time they'll see my car.  The check engine light is still on so I'm gonna run it to the dealer tomorrow.

Code 41, I believe that's the throttle position sensor.  Would replace it myself if it's a DIY...  still think I need a proper diagnostics done...  What's your thoughts on that SK?

I guarantee that you have water in your spark plug valley. Thats it. Thats all. Your plugs are now cross-firing, and will be doing so until you get the water out of there. Then I suggest that you reset your ecu. This happened to me on a 4A-GE. I have never done it since then.

THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME TOO!! Its just water in the spark plugs!

Youre last 2 spark plugs are in water. Suck the water out with a shop-vac or let it dry over time. Take the plug covers out, etc.

DON"T PRESSURE WASH THE BACK!!!

Mine is missing the back cover so when it rains hard this happens, but all you have to do is suck out the water and the car will run fine!!!

Sometimes you can just drive the car and the engine heat will evaporate the water!! PM me if you have any other questions, this has happend 3-4 times from rain/engine cleaning since i've had the car!! (figured it out after the first time though so its an easy fix now)