91 Ls 400...check Engine Light...

1991LS400

91 LS 400...262,000 miles...tonight was the first night the check engine light came on.

My car didn't run any differently and everything was as smooth as a baby's butt, however, on the way home my check engine light came on. Still, everything ran smoothly.

The things that happened tonight...attacked by crickets while filling up gas...I was making a left turn onto this upward ramp-like street and couldn't see too well this curb that I hit on the driver side. I just heard a loud thump and a scrape then my driver side back wheel went over the curb too. Could the curb have hit something to make my check engine light come on? There are no visible leaks coming out from underneath.

Oh, and I replaced the hose on the coolant tank (the big one that runs from the top cap of the reservoir down and to the right and connects to this metal line. The hose is kinda big and slips off really easily. I don't think any fluid comes through there but could that make a check engine light come on to?

Any ideas? There is NO Lexus dealership around where I'm at and I don't know how I can pull the code for my 91 LS. Please help!

• 3 weeks later...

91 LS 400...262,000 miles...tonight was the first night the check engine light came on.

My car didn't run any differently and everything was as smooth as a baby's butt, however, on the way home my check engine light came on.  Still, everything ran smoothly.

The things that happened tonight...attacked by crickets while filling up gas...I was making a left turn onto this upward ramp-like street and couldn't see too well this curb that I hit on the driver side.  I just heard a loud thump and a scrape then my driver side back wheel went over the curb too.  Could the curb have hit something to make my check engine light come on?  There are no visible leaks coming out from underneath.

Oh, and I replaced the hose on the coolant tank (the big one that runs from the top cap of the reservoir down and to the right and connects to this metal line.  The hose is kinda big and slips off really easily.  I don't think any fluid comes through there but could that make a check engine light come on to?

Hello:  You should get ready to replace most likely an oxygen sensor.  You or your mechanic should disconnect the electrical negative on the battery and let it stand for like an hour.  Then reconnect it run the car.  The light should be off, if it comes back on like and hour later, it means is the Oxygen sensor because it heats up and when it gives the wrong reading the computer puts on the engine light.  The only thing that should be noted at this time is that the fuel consumption should climb up. 

Any ideas?  There is NO Lexus dealership around where I'm at and I don't know how I can pull the code for my 91 LS.  Please help!

Hello: Most likely is the Oxygen sensor. Disconnect Battery for an hour. REconnet if it comes back after couple of trips etc. is one of them. You will need to have it scanned to see which one is bad, since it has 4 of them.

C. Cardona PR

Hey 91LS. I'm having the same problem and am in the process of trying to fix myself. Last time I had this problem a year ago it was one of my two main O2 sensors and dealer charged $350 to investigate and fix. Using the procedures in the following forum thread link,

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...++engine++light

I've determined that once again it's probably a main O2 sensor, the other one that's never been replaced. I purchased an OE Universal replacement on line for $52 and am going to try to change it out myself, but could be difficult due to rust. I'd be interested in hearing your outcome should yours also be an O2 problem.

Regards, smc

My car didn't run any differently and everything was as smooth as a baby's butt, however, on the way home my check engine light came on.  Still, everything ran smoothly.

The things that happened tonight...attacked by crickets while filling up gas...I was making a left turn onto this upward ramp-like street and couldn't see too well this curb that I hit on the driver side.  I just heard a loud thump and a scrape then my driver side back wheel went over the curb too.  Could the curb have hit something to make my check engine light come on?  There are no visible leaks coming out from underneath.

Oh, and I replaced the hose on the coolant tank (the big one that runs from the top cap of the reservoir down and to the right and connects to this metal line.  The hose is kinda big and slips off really easily.  I don't think any fluid comes through there but could that make a check engine light come on to?

Any ideas?  There is NO Lexus dealership around where I'm at and I don't know how I can pull the code for my 91 LS.  Please help!

Yes you can take it to Pep Boys and have it scanned, or you can take it to a Toyota Dealer and they should be able to help you. Also you could try to read the sensors one by one and determine the one that is causing the problem. www.lexls.com has a great tutorial on how to do it in your model. C