Good Price For Timing Belt And Water Pump

hi today i set an appointment at the toyota dealer to change my timing belt at 130,000 and water pump he told me $ 425 for the timing and $ 200 for the pump so $625 for both. I also asked about the cam seal and he said they check them but usually dont change unless theres signs of leaking. question is .... is $625 a :ph34r:

good price for the belt and waterpump? and also should I tell them to change the cam seal even if it looks ok? zand is there anything else that needs done? ty

hi today i set an appointment  at the toyota dealer to change my timing belt at 130,000  and water pump  he told me  $ 425 for the timing and $ 200 for the pump  so $625 for both. I  also asked about the cam seal and he said they check them but usually dont change unless theres signs of leaking.  question is .... is      $625 a      :ph34r:

good price for the belt and waterpump? and also should I tell them to change the cam seal even if it looks ok? zand is there anything else that needs done?  ty

I live in MA here; This is what I paid back in Arpril (for what it is worth).

Timng Belt: $399

Water pump: $199

Drive Belt $35

Cam & Crank Seals: $60

Prices vary by region:

Boston was around $850 just for Timing belt & water pump

Harford was $700

He can't, I can. =)

j/k! :pirate:

We can go through the parts cost exactly then add up labor costs.

The timing belt cost seems in-line, but

is what's putting you way out of spec on the labor & parts cost. I would defend the labor charge on the water pump, but seeing how it takes 20 min to have the new one in once the timing belt is off.

There just isn't any way to defend a $199 charge for a water pump. That's either double paying on the pump, or paying time & a half, or 2x on the labor (depending how expencive labor is at the shop). Either way it comes out wrong.

The water pump itself will run $60-110 depending on aftermarket, / OEM / high flow unit. Gasket is a couple of bucks, and it takes 15-20 min to install one when you change a timing belt. An experianced Toyota/Lexus mechanic will have everything changed in an hour's worth of labor - but that's not the norm.

He can't, I can. =)

j/k! :pirate:

We can go through the parts cost exactly then add up labor costs.

The timing belt cost seems in-line, but

is what's putting you way out of spec on the labor & parts cost. I would defend the labor charge on the water pump, but seeing how it takes 20 min to have the new one in once the timing belt is off.

There just isn't any way to defend a $199 charge for a water pump. That's either double paying on the pump, or paying time & a half, or 2x on the labor (depending how expencive labor is at the shop). Either way it comes out wrong.

The water pump itself will run $60-110 depending on aftermarket, / OEM / high flow unit. Gasket is a couple of bucks, and it takes 15-20 min to install one when you change a timing belt. An experianced Toyota/Lexus mechanic will have everything changed in an hour's worth of labor - but that's not the norm.

Wait a minute....

I agree it is a simple job to do a water pump after you remove the TB. I am not being rude here but we are talking about $199 for a water pump right? It would cost me $100 for OEM here (online) and about $4 for a gasket (online). So $104 for parts alone.

Yup, it is costing me an enormous price of $96 to put it on. Wow, $96. Is it a lot?, hmmmmm. I DO NOT WANT TO DO IT nor care to. I can go to work and not deal with that or the belts etc. It comes down to my time is worth more then worrying about $96. What is $96 in the great scheme of things? Plus it is 8 years old. It should last another 8 years now. By then I will not own the car in 8 years. If is much easier to go to work for a few hours and not worry about a whopping $96 price tag……

As I have stated before, I have better things to worry about then approx $96.

Based on the prices I posted, that is the cheapest around here by a lot! Prices vary by state, region etc. We can fight all day on this but I have researched this topic; and in my area this was the cheapest around. Unless I want to drove 4 billion miles.

You're paying $90 for labor (Which is time & a half the book recommended charge anyway).

Because the normal timing belt procedure does not take up the full alotment of labor charge you pay (labor is hour increments, rounded up). Changing the water pump is accomplished without rolling over into extra labor charges.

There-hence-forth

There is little, to no labor charge when changing the water pump with the timing belt. - The same as there is no labor charge for changing accessory belts when changing the timing belt.

Changing a water pump from scratch & re-using the belts, ya $199 would be a steal!

Having it done during related services, no, that's invariably getting shafted.

You're paying $90 for labor (Which is time & a half the book recommended charge anyway).

Because the normal timing belt procedure does not take up the full alotment of labor charge you pay (labor is hour increments, rounded up). Changing the water pump is accomplished without rolling over into extra labor charges.

There-hence-forth

There is little, to no labor charge when changing the water pump with the timing belt. - The same as there is no labor charge for changing accessory belts when changing the timing belt.

Changing a water pump from scratch & re-using the belts, ya $199 would be a steal!

Here we go again.

1) Do not care

2) Lets see, I work at work for 3.2 hours and it covers the delta in price (surfing this site).

3) Again it was the cheapest this part of the state

4) Do not care

Are you seeing a trend here?????

Again I have better things to worry about instead of $96

The prices I stated are all separate. It did not matter if you get one thing or all.

You can fight the system all you want. All this to save $96..LOL. I live here and know the prices are. As I stated before “We can fight all day on this but I have researched this topic; and in my area this was the cheapest around. Unless I want to drove 4 billion miles.”

Ps. There Toyota dealer is the same price. I tried all the Lexus dealers and Toyota dealers in a 100 miles RADIUS!

There-hence-forth

Here we go again.

1) Do not care

2) Lets see, I work at work for 3.2 hours and it covers the delta in price (surfing this site).

3) Again it was the cheapest this part of the state

4) Do not care

Are you seeing a trend here?????

Again I have better things to worry about instead of $96

The prices I stated are all separate. It did not matter if you get one thing or all.

You can fight the system all you want. All this to save $96..LOL. I live here and know the prices are. As I stated before “We can fight all day on this but I have researched this topic; and in my area this was the cheapest around. Unless I want to drove 4 billion miles.”

Ps. There Toyota dealer is the same price. I tried all the Lexus dealers and Toyota dealers in a 100 miles RADIUS!

Let me ask you a question mburn as I don't think you made it that clear........Do you care? :blink: :whistles: :lol::ph34r: Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

:cheers:

I just bought a timing belt and water pump off ebay, brand new sealed in the toyota boxes. 50$ :)

Just have paitence and look around. Good deals are hard to find

Good find!

But installing the parts correctly is the hard part. Anyone can "hit the buy it now"... :D :D :D :D :D

Joking here. I have spent over $200 in the last 2 days...