Steering Wheel Squeaks

douglasmiami

I have a '99 RX 300. I've had the car for about a year and for the last six months the steering wheel squeaks when I make significant turn, or at least turn 90 degrees. I took it to Lexus and they said something about it needing lubrication, but that didn't fix the problem.

Recently my wife bought an '02 ES 300, and her steering wheel squeaks in same manner. And my friend at work has the same ES and he said his squeaked as well. But Lexus told him that it was wiring that was rubbing together.

Anyone else have this issue? I haven't seen any posts on this site about it.

DS

2003 RX300 AWD indigo ink pearl/ ivory w/navi, stainless steel grille guard, ~35,000 miles (will be my daughter's)

2003 LS430 black/ ivory, ~100,000 miles (my son)

2004 ES330 silver metallic/ black w/ navi, ~30,000 miles (my daughter)

2005 LS430 blue onyx pearl/ ivory Ultra Luxury Package, smart access, AFS, rear camera, Navi, DVD, 8,000 miles (wife's)

2004 RX330 AWD neptune blue mica/ ivory w/navi + DVD, AFS, 62,000 miles (mine + family car)

Sorry I can't help it.... This must a true Lexus family. How could you afford that ? :-)

I only have 2 to begin with:

93 LS400

04 RX330.

:-(

BR,

V.

It's probably the spiral wiring inside the column.

Sometimes it takes replacing it to fix it.

Our rx300 has sort of a rubbing sound at some spots when turing the wheel. Not that much of an agrivation, just noticable. Is this related?

I am having the same problem with my 2002 RX300. Love the car but hate the moaning and groaning when turning the steering wheel. :cries: They have already tried lubricating it to no avail. Any suggestions? Vicki

I have a '99 RX 300.  I've had the car for about a year and for the last six months the steering wheel squeaks when I make significant turn, or at least turn 90 degrees.  I took it to Lexus and they said something about it needing lubrication, but that didn't fix the problem. 

Recently my wife bought an '02 ES 300, and her steering wheel squeaks in same manner.  And my friend at work has the same ES and he said his squeaked as well.  But Lexus told him that it was wiring that was rubbing together. 

Anyone else have this issue?  I haven't seen any posts on this site about it.

DS

I have a 2000 RX 300 and a 2000 LX 470. Both steering also squeak. My mechanic did try to correct the problem by draining the steering fluid on my RX300. Did not work.....hope someone has better luck.

steve

I am having the same problem with my 2002 RX300.  Love the car but hate the moaning and groaning when turning the steering wheel.  :cries:  They have already tried lubricating it to no avail. Any suggestions?  Vicki
I have a '99 RX 300.  I've had the car for about a year and for the last six months the steering wheel squeaks when I make significant turn, or at least turn 90 degrees.  I took it to Lexus and they said something about it needing lubrication, but that didn't fix the problem. 

Recently my wife bought an '02 ES 300, and her steering wheel squeaks in same manner.  And my friend at work has the same ES and he said his squeaked as well.  But Lexus told him that it was wiring that was rubbing together. 

DS

2003 RX300  AWD indigo ink pearl/ ivory w/navi, stainless steel grille guard, ~35,000 miles (will be my daughter's)

2005 LS430 blue onyx pearl/ ivory Ultra Luxury Package, smart access, AFS, rear camera, Navi, DVD, 8,000 miles (wife's)

2004 RX330 AWD neptune blue mica/ ivory w/navi + DVD, AFS, 62,000 miles (mine + family car)

Sorry I can't help it.... This must a true Lexus family. How could you afford that ? :-)

93 LS400

04 RX330.

BR,

V.

Our rx300 has sort of a rubbing sound at some spots when turing the wheel. Not that much of an agrivation, just noticable. Is this related?

We are a lexus family :lol: LOL

My kids didn't have much choice in the cars they drive since i purchased theirs. The best cars on the road today in my opinoion are Lexus's, and that's the only car i will feel comfortable with my kids and family in.

Our beautiful house was passed down from my wife's family, and the kids put their part in for education. My wife and i both spend over 3 hours a day in cars, therefore cars are important to us. Since we spend so much time in cars, we need the comfort and safety Lexus provides.

DS

Check the cable reel for the SRS air bag if you already changed out power steering fluid.

• 3 months later...

I told the tech to do it. I don't get the groaning sound, but clicking noise from turn wheel slightly in either direction at any point.

They said they tested some of the used RX and it kinda produce the same sound, but I personally never had this problem for 4 yrs, and all of a sudden this...

So i got the car back today...

tested one of their 2002 and it has the noise too...while mine is quieter i guess...

then i find out while they replaced the spiral cable, they didn't put hte steering wheel back properly......now i gotta put my wheel at 1 o'clock to drive straight...GREAT!

tested one of their 2002 and it has the noise too...while mine is quieter i guess...

then i find out while they replaced the spiral cable, they didn't put hte steering wheel back properly......now i gotta put my wheel at 1 o'clock to drive straight...GREAT!

Last year i took my old 03 rx300 in to have them balance and do a rotation (i think?) and when they were done my steering wheel was unbalanced too. Then as i began to drive i couldn't steer! I was turning the wheel but the car didn't move. Then it was working again....it was VERY scary but they fixed it!

Last year i took my old 03 rx300 in to have them balance and do a rotation (i think?) and when they were done my steering wheel was unbalanced too. Then as i began to drive i couldn't steer! I was turning the wheel but the car didn't move. Then it was working again....it was VERY scary but they fixed it!

that's so dangerous...

no matter what i'm taking it back tomorrow(for the past week, my car has been there for 4 days now...)

the alignment was pretty straight for 4 yrs and suddenly this...

Yes indeed. It sounds as if you have a very nice fleet of automobiles. It is very important, especially if you spend a lot of time in your car, which you do.

I no longer have my LS400, but they are super cars.

We used to have a "Lexus fleet", but only one of my aunts still own a Lexus - which is a 1990 LS400 that she and my uncle bought new. The car only has about 140K on it now and despite being 16 years old, it is still like new and they would not hear of selling it. My uncle wants to sell it/trade it for a new Mercedes, but she says "NO". :D

She does love my other aunts 2006 S500, but she is not ready to shell out $86,000 for a car. -_-

Could be worse, the 2006 S600 (AMG) retails for $169,000.

2003 RX300  AWD indigo ink pearl/ ivory w/navi, stainless steel grille guard, ~35,000 miles (will be my daughter's)

93 LS400

04 RX330.

BR,

V.

We are a lexus family :lol: LOL

My kids didn't have much choice in the cars they drive since i purchased theirs. The best cars on the road today in my opinoion are Lexus's, and that's the only car i will feel comfortable with my kids and family in.

Our beautiful house was passed down from my wife's family, and the kids put their part in for education. My wife and i both spend over 3 hours a day in cars, therefore cars are important to us. Since we spend so much time in cars, we need the comfort and safety Lexus provides.