Engine Braking

New Rx400h owner here. I live on top of a hill and it's a two mile drive down to anywhere (great milage going down, the pits coming back up...).

I know that by using the "B" or engine braking setting I'm probably saving some wear on breakpads. But does anyone know if I'm affecting the milage --positively or negatively-- by using this setting? Thanks all!

New Rx400h owner here.  I live on top of a hill and it's a two mile drive down to anywhere (great milage going down, the pits coming back up...).

I know that by using the "B" or engine braking setting I'm probably saving some wear on breakpads.  But does anyone know if I'm affecting the milage --positively or negatively-- by using this setting?  Thanks all!

I don't think it will have any effect on gas mileage as long as you take it out of "B" when

finished the long downgrade.

I have driven a little over 1500 miles so far and you will learn to drive differently.

When going upgrade I try to accelerate slowly uphill. And coast as much as possible.

Remember any time your foot is off the accelerator the engine is off.

I have found that 50-60 is better for the mileage than 60-75

NYC traffic avg 23-25

Highway 24-27.8

Not bad for a 4000+lb SUV.

AND power is there when you need it.

Mileage may get a little better as the RX breaks in, about 5,000 miles should do it.