Tranny Pan

ko90ls

hey guys, i just need some info. my drain plug is stripped in the tranny pan and has a slow leak. i just checked with my local lexus dealer and got some conflicting info...

the first guy told me that the pan MIGHT still work but i MIGHT have to get it rethreaded. then the next guy said... "there is no saving the drain pans, so if the plug is stripped then i'd have to buy a new $140 tranny pan also." originally i was set to perform a complete tranny flush but not now that i MIGHT have to add a new pan later, and was also thinking about just going to a local auto shop(pepboys) and have them pull the stripped plug so i could add the new plug, but after hearing the "no saving the pan" guy i'm having second thoughts.

i know good and well that the dealer are snakes and want every penny they can get but normally they give me good solid advice but in this case i'm not so sure?

any info at all would be greatly appreciated!!! :cheers:

You can retap the pan if it's threads are stripped, or get a new plug if it's just the plug threads that are stripped. New pan? Not seeing it.

When I stripped my tranny pan plug I bought a new pan and installed it. After I did that I looked closely at the old one and found that the pan was fine. The plug was aluminum and it stripped easily. The pan is steel and much stronger.

Now I have an extra pan for my SC.

Also, the new plug was steel.

Tom

yeah my plug is old and probably aluminum? that's good advise from everyone! for right now i think i'm going to try the old fashioned solution and just torque the :censored: and leave it alone... for now. but i will definately try and get the plug removed and replaced with a steel one

hope i may one day help with your problems as well!

:cheers:

hey guys,

just checked and it is still leaking :chairshot: , but i also placed a magenet on the plug and no polarity= aluminum plug!

tom, i see that you live in ohio too. can you tell me where you got the plug pulled at, maybe they have the same shop in my town? if you live in columbus i feel bad because the lexus market is under a serious monopoly(that's where i'm at) :P

I am in the Dayton area, but I did it myself. After I removed the pan I just took a pair of vice grips and pulled and twisted on the bolt. The steel pan dug into the aluminum bolt and allowed it to be removed. I think this could be done while the pan is in place, although I would be a little worried about small bolt shavings in the pan. Since they are aluminum, the pan magnets will not keep them from going through the system.

You could remove your pan, clean it out, then put it back. All you would need would be the tube of FIPG from the dealership. You may want to check with them on that. I used FIPG on mine because that is what it called for. Make sure you get the proper material for your car.

Be careful if you remove your pan. Even though you have drained it there will still be transmission fluid in there that will get everywhere if you are not prepared.

Tom

dayton huh? nice town, good people, great advise! :)

that's what confused me about the whole incident. i had just removed the pan and changed the fluid. then when i go to change it again... bam! stripped pan/plug.

well anywho, i'm going to do that, already got the sealant and torque wrench.

thanks to everyone who helped! :cheers: