Pre-owned Gs Or Ls? And Why?

Greetings,

Novice Lexus fan here looking for some thoughts.

I plan on purchasing either GS or LS model, and I read all about LS how good the engine/tranny is etc, but wanted to hear from GS owners what I should look for in terms of year, and why, also why you like this model.

I'm looking for 98 to 00 GS models and 92 to 00 on LS models.

Thanks,

Depends on your style and taste. Both models are for the most part equally reliable. I personally would go with a 2000 GS400 (300hp, HID, Yellow fogs, Nav...). Maintaneance costs for the LS is higher and obviously the purchase price will be also but the car is just a peice of beauty. Its a step higher than the GS and competes in a totally different market. I feel the GS is funner to drive but it does lack space which is not a major factor for me. Test drive both models to gain more insight.

Depends on your style and taste.  Both models are for the most part equally reliable.  I personally would go with a 2000 GS400 (300hp, HID, Yellow fogs, Nav...).  Maintaneance costs for the LS is higher and obviously the purchase price will be also but the car is just a peice of beauty.  Its a step higher than the GS and competes in a totally different market.  I feel the GS is funner to drive but it does lack space which is not a major factor for me.  Test drive both models to gain more insight.

They are different enough for me that I will be purchasing a LS and keeping my GS and ES. Three different classes of auto's. If you want room and plush go for the LS, If you want sport go for the GS. So get both. :cheers:

Greetings,

Novice Lexus fan here looking for some thoughts.

I plan on purchasing either GS or LS model, and I read all about LS how good the engine/tranny is etc, but wanted to hear from GS owners what I should look for in terms of year, and why, also why you like this model.

I'm looking for 98 to 00 GS models  and 92 to 00 on LS models.

Thanks,

---

They are two very different cars: the GS is a sport sedan similar to a BMW 5-series car in purpose, and the LS is much more plush--capable yes, but plush and far less exciting to drive. Simple: if you like to drive, get the GS; if you would rather be doing something else, the LS isolates you from the driving experience completely (hint: retirees tend to like the LS--it routinely steals customers from Cadillac's Deville...).

Whichever car you choose, make very sure it has been properly maintained, preferably by a Lexus dealer. A neglected Lexus is an expensive Lexus.

Regards,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

They're both good cars that use the same engine. If you want the most comfort from a ride, take a lot of trips, and have the extra money for the heavier LS and its slightly higher fuel bills go for it. If you want better performance and handling and a ride that is good but not as much so as the LS go for the GS.