Iacv

I, at 110,000 miles, have a new shortblock in my ES300 and the Lexus dealership remachined and cleaned the rest of my engine of sludge, I had them replace the idlers, water pump, belts, plugs, therm, etc.... Then I get a check engine light with no symptoms, take it back in for a check and then they replace the A/F sensor Bank 2. Then I get an idle problem. The sedan used to start no problem, then began to die when I started it, sometimes once, sometimes twice, but eventually starts. No other idle problems that I am aware of.

My question is...when Lexus replaced the short block and cleaned everything related up, do they clean the IACV and the throttle body? They tell me I need a new IACV and it costs $700-750 dollars :o , so I am not happy because I just spent $418 on the new sensor (Air Fuel Sensor Bank 2)) they replaced and then told me I may need another soon, because one fails the other is soon to follow. Maybe it was the IAVC then too? So anyway, if I can clean the IACV and TB and make good with my idle issue, I want to. And how much does it typically cost to have someone clean the IACV and I guess the TB while they are in there and replace the gasket between them?

And one more thing...I get a clicking in my steering wheel when I turn after they replaced my short block, they said it was a knuckle that did not warrant being replaced at this time but the sound would not go away unless it was replaced. The noise was from the intermediate shaft and the intermediate shaft U joint was lubed...was this related to the work they did when they replaced the short block and do I have anything to worry about safety wise?

Thanks! :cheers:

Get in touch with JPImportz in Garland Texas.

He should be able to give you some straight answers and provide you with quality service at less than stealership prices.

If they just replaced the short block, then they probably did not clear nor even look at you TB and IACV. Just removed the whole mass, pop in a new block and put your dirty TB/IACV back on top. Dirty throttle bodies and iacv's are a common problem with the 1MZFE.

AF sensors do go. I have already replaced two and the car only has 63k. One under warranty, one out of warranty.

steviej

Thank you StevieJ, just an update...JPImportz said he would clean the IACV for 2 hours of labor probably @ $85/hr. If he had to replace it, then $230 for the valve and gasket. He must use the Toyota part, because Lexus wanted $260 for the valve and $6 for the gasket. The dealership quoted me $750 dollars :wacko: , I wish I had him replace that sensor, that would have saved me a ton I am sure!

Thank you StevieJ, just an update...JPImportz said he would clean the IACV for 2 hours of labor probably @ $85/hr. If he had to replace it, then $230 for the valve and gasket. He must use the Toyota part, because Lexus wanted $260 for the valve and $6 for the gasket. The dealership quoted me $750 dollars :wacko: , I wish I had him replace that sensor, that would have saved me a ton I am sure!

I would try and clean it myself and see what happens.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=22931&hl=

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=22963&hl=

I, at 110,000 miles, have a new shortblock in my ES300 and the Lexus dealership remachined and cleaned the rest of my engine of sludge, I had them replace the idlers, water pump, belts, plugs, therm, etc.... Then I get a check engine light with no symptoms, take it back in for a check and then they replace the A/F sensor Bank 2. Then I get an idle problem. The sedan used to start no problem, then began to die when I started it, sometimes once, sometimes twice, but eventually starts. No other idle problems that I am aware of.

My question is...when Lexus replaced the short block and cleaned everything related up, do they clean the IACV and the throttle body? They tell me I need a new IACV and it costs $700-750 dollars  :o , so I am not happy because I just spent $418 on the new sensor (Air Fuel Sensor Bank 2)) they replaced and then told me I may need another soon, because one fails the other is soon to follow. Maybe it was the IAVC then too? So anyway, if I can clean the IACV and TB and make good with my idle issue, I want to. And how much does it typically cost to have someone clean the IACV and I guess the TB while they are in there and replace the gasket between them?

And one more thing...I get a clicking in my steering wheel when I turn after they replaced my short block, they said it was a knuckle that did not warrant being replaced at this time but the sound would not go away unless it was replaced. The noise was from the intermediate shaft and the intermediate shaft U joint was lubed...was this related to the work they did when they replaced the short block and do I have anything to worry about safety wise?

Thanks! :cheers:

I'm glad that they took care of you. But your service advisor didn't warn you about these things. Nothing is free and cheap at the Lexus dealership, You have to pay them back somehow. Let us know if you need any further help.

JP Importz

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

because i have 160,000 miles and don't have any problem. it's just run.

I always use prem. gas.

Neither did my 98 only with 88K miles. Runs fine and mpg were good (23 to 25 in city and to work). I cleaned the throttle body and iacv. Here was the outcome..

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/lexus/tb_clean.jpg

There is more to it then jsut using 93 or 94 gas here.

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

because i have 160,000 miles and don't have any problem. it's just run.

I always use prem. gas.

Neither did my 98 only with 88K miles. Runs fine and mpg were good (23 to 25 in city and to work). I cleaned the throttle body and iacv. Here was the outcome..

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/lexus/tb_clean.jpg

There is more to it then jsut using 93 or 94 gas here.

Don't mean to change the subject, but, I use 89 oct gas for my 2005 Lexus ES 330...is that okay or should I use 93 or 94? The salesman at the Lexus Dealer said I could use 87, but I think that oct makes a car run sluggish. What do you think mburnickas?

Don't mean to change the subject, but, I use 89 oct gas for my 2005 Lexus ES 330...is that okay or should I use 93 or 94?  The salesman at the Lexus Dealer said I could use 87, but I think that oct makes a car run sluggish.  What do you think mburnickas?

I do not think your TB or Iacv will have this problem since it was only on certain years. Maybe I am wrong.

If is simple to check anyways. Just open the TB and have a look. If that is dirty, then clean that and the Iacv. It will take about 1 hour (and that is with a few cold ones). Total cost is about $3 for the TB cleaner and XXX for the cold ones.

I also think it has many factors and gas is just one of them.

I ended up check my wifes, and my parents cars (all different makers) this weekend. So far my was the worst big time.

All the IAC, EGR, or TB's will eventually stick.

It's simply what happens when you pump the carbon in the exhaust back through the intake regardless of the engine.

^ even more so for these v6's. They pump tons of exhaust.

The newer engines all have throttle by wire, which will eleminant IAC problems. They'll still get dirty throttle plates, but it won't matter nearly as much.

Another update...I drove up to the Midwest and my bestfriends brother-in-law said he would clean it for a case of beer. SO, he got a case of beer!!! :cheers:

He said it looked like the bottom of a fish bowl, gravel-y like, but he cleaned the IAC valve and TB. The start up is fine, it runs like a champ, maybe my gas mileage will get better? I got 24mpg on the way up, I will check it out on the way back to Texas.

• 5 years later...

My wife has a 2001 ES300 with 90,000 miles. In the morning when she started it, it would stall. She would have to start it again and feed it gas to get it to rev at a higher rpm until it warmed up. Normally when you start the car when cold it automatically should rev at approximately 1500 rpm or so until warm and then reduce the idle rpm to around 500-700 rpm. My solution was to clean the IAC valve first. It was not that dirty. Do not pay a mechanic to do this, it is not a difficult operation to carry out. Result: no change! I called my mechanic and explained the problem. He mentioned it may be a dirty IAC valve. Told him I already cleaned it and asked him what the computer uses as an input to determine how much air the throttle body allows in to control idle speed. His answer was the coolant temperature sensor. I read on another site that if your coolant level is low than your coolant temp sensor will be unable to give an accurate reading to the computer. Makes sense to me. Even though there was fluid in the coolant overflow tank I took the car to Kwik Kar and had them flush the coolant system. This morning she started it up and it worked great...just like new.