Highway Mileage

:cheers: My 400h now has 5500 miles on it. I just returned from a trip from Seattle to Portland and back. My mpg on the way down was 30.0 and the return was 29.9. I am now confident that I can consistently beat the EPA 27 mpg highway figure. I have serious doubts, however, that I will ever hit 31 mpg in city driving. My actual calculated mileage since I bought my car is 26.9.

While visiting friends I drove their 2005 RX330. Other than the wood interior, I prefer my 400h. It definitely has more power. They do not check their mpg so I do not have a comparison there. If Lexus did not make the 400h I would be happy with the 330.

Sounds good rex, is that with regular gas and ws the 30 mpg with cruise on I5?. I am getting a consistent 27 mpg mixed driving with chevron regular @2400 miles on the odometer. Short trips have been hurting what is otherwise good mpg. Been trying harder to be good as gas gets more expensive

Sounds good rex, is that with regular gas and ws the 30 mpg with cruise on I5?.  I am getting a consistent 27 mpg mixed driving with chevron regular @2400 miles on the odometer.  Short trips have been hurting what is otherwise good mpg.  Been trying harder to be good as gas gets more expensive

The trip was on regular Chevron gasoline. I generally use cruise control whenever it is safe to do so and set it at the posted speed limits. It rained off and on coming back and I turned the cruise control off during those periods. I too am learning how to drive this vehicle to maximize mpg ie coasting when appropriate. I did, however, put my foot into the accelerator on a couple of occasions.

We just hit 1100 miles this weekend. I took my wife on a day trip on Saturday: Salem to Portland to Hood River to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood to Portland to Salem. Couple hundred miles or so, and the mileage averaged 29 mpg. One curious thing: we pulled up to a market and I ran in while my wife drove around the parking lot. She swears that she only averaged 5-10 mph and that only the electric motors ran the whole time. However, when I came back out, the trip mpg had droped about .4 or so. I haven't figured that one out.

Fuel Saving Tips

Edmunds.com has posted an article on what driving habits can increase your mpg. While the 400h was not tested, they certainly apply. Add maximizing coasting and you can probably exceed the EPA estimates for highway driving and approach the city estimate assuming you do not have numerous short drives that drastically reduce your mpg.

http://money.cnn.edmunds.com/ownership/dri...42/article.html

The truth.

Driving habits: Conservative

Air Conditioning: Rarely

Long Trips: Few

Coasting When Possible: Yes

Slow starts: Yes

Date Miles Gallons MPG

6/17/05 298.7 12.5 23.896

7/1/05 337.5 14.133 23.8802802

7/15/05 277.2 11.8 23.49152542

7/31/05 277.1 11.93 23.22715842

8/15/05 261.1 11.247 23.21507958

9/2/05 284.5 12.623 22.53822388

The average MPG on the screen says 24.5 MPG which, as you can see, is high.

I don't know about these other people. Either my RX400h is a lemon or someone is exagerating about their MPG. Why? I don't know. Maybe they work for Lexus. Good mileage is important to me. Especially with gas prices soaring. This car has simply not lived up to specs.

It is definately the short trips. I am a creature of habit and drive the same two mile route to starbucks everymorning for coffee. (my commute is walking across the street from my apt to work). This short trip is a mpg killer, even tho i coast and drive back streets the ICE is on longer to warm up the car and typically this trip will cost me a full one mpg over longer more mixed driving. On sales calls and trips of 5 to 20 miles i can usually regain that one mpg. If every trip was short im sure my mpg would be as yours is. I use regular gas, and at 2400 miles have averaged 26 to 28 mpg.

Hey guys I'm new here and on my way to a Lexus dealer today to test drive and almost definitely buy an LX400h. I'm 99.9% set on it BUT I have a few questions. Would you recommend that I NOT buy it based on the funky situation with the gas mileage numbers and it not really living up to what Lexus is claiming? Do any of you guys know about this new or revised engine that Lexus is supposed to be putting in? Are they available in current models or is it a future thing? I'm coming out of a 2003 4Runner Limited that I absolutely love so my question really is can I justify selling my truck to buy a $50 thousand hybrid that seems not to be living up to expectations?

Thanks guys

-ant

Take a long test drive, you are right its not a small amount of money. Since you love the 4runner make sure you are ready to accept some changes. As you drive the 400h note how the engine starts and stops, especially at low speed. Most of us get used to that but it bothers some people. The electric power steering has a different feeling. Regenerative brakes are softer in their action. There is no four wheel drive chassis under this thing, its more car like, i think the handling will be good, but that is also different. It is not an offroad vehicle. Be ready to learn a smoother more coasting and anticipating slowing way of driving to maximize your mpg. If the length of a normal trip for you is 3 to 5 miles or less your mileage will suffer, i mean 22 to 24 mpg. If you drive mixed city hiway and longer trips and are willing to drive in a hybrid mode then 26 to 28 is realistic with regular gas. Now the good stuff in my opinion, you are stepping up in comfort from the seats to the ride to the smoothest transmission you will ever drive (be ready for more engine noise during heavier acceleration), the nav system, stereo, hid lites, rain sensing wipers and power lift gate are great features. I drove three demos before i purchased mine, after 2400 miles i have no regrets. I am beginning to think people dont take long enough test drives, and do it multiple times. Its easy to miss stuff that might bother you on the first drive because everything is so new. Good luck, tell us what you think.

Also you are in an area there people are getting discounts off msrp, many of us on the west coast are still paying list.

Hey thanks for all the info. I agree with you, there are some differences and some things that i'll have to get use to but i'm sure i'll love it. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. The only negative are people complaining about fuel mileage but it's not a little 4 cyl. car it's a PERFORMANCE SUV and anything better than the 17-18 that i'm getting is awesome! When you say it's not an off road veichle though what do you mean? it's still good in heavy snow and bad weather correct? thats the whole reason for me buying it. i snowboard every weekend and have found myself in some crazy conditions.

Discounts? Well i'll see tonight. i told the dealer what I'm willing to pay and what i want for my truck so we'll see what he does. i hope he's not wasting my time. i'lll keep you posted.

The RX400h should be great in the snow! Its limitation is serious rock-climbing at very steep angles and slow speeds (may tend to overheat electric motors). Fortunately, most of us do not intend to do THAT type of off-roading, especially with a $55,000 vehicle!

Here's good luck in getting your RX400h :cheers:

The RX400h should be great in the snow! Its limitation is serious rock-climbing at very steep angles and slow speeds (may tend to overheat electric motors). Fortunately, most of us do not intend to do THAT type of off-roading, especially with a $55,000 vehicle!

Here's good luck in getting your RX400h :cheers:

Cheers mate! Yea I figured and thought that it would be a very capable snow/bad weather vehicle. I mean what's the point of all wheel drive if it isn't? That's really my only concern though. I mean coming out of my 4Runner Limited which will go through and over anything. Ha ha and yea I'll never do ANY off roading with it and certainaly no rock climing. Thanks!!

Honestly the only challenge for me with the 400h is keeping the interior clean after coming from a more truck like Ford Exploder with darker colors. I know i have mentioned this too many times before however im amazed at how easily black marks mar the door sills and areas round the pedals, and they dont come off easily. Also while i am repeating things, make sure you check the tire pressure at the dealership before you drive away, many have been high at 40 psi. Lastly, it goes without saying, test drive the actual vehicle you are purchasing as well as the demo. Carry on

I have roughly 1200 miles on my rx400h. I do a 40 mile commute to work on the I-495 beltway around DC. This drive goes from highway speeds to a slow crawl at a moment's notice. While there are many things I don't like about the rx400h

( the navigation software and lack of ability to change a destination or dial-up a phone number while moving), the mileage has been pretty true to the claims so far. Averaging between 27 and 29 according to the display. I do around 65mph on the beltway when traffic permits and many cars are flying by me at 80 mph.

These people are the first to complain about gas prices at $3.59 per gallon, yet operate their vehicles inefficiently.

Honestly the only challenge for me with the 400h is keeping the interior clean after coming from a more truck like Ford Exploder with darker colors.  I know i have mentioned this too many times before however im amazed at how easily black marks mar the door sills and areas round the pedals, and they dont come off easily.  Also while i am  repeating things, make sure you check the tire pressure at the dealership before you drive away, many have been high at 40 psi.  Lastly, it goes without saying, test drive the actual vehicle you are purchasing as well as the demo.  Carry on

Well really checked it out last night and test drove it and absolutely LOVE it. It's amazing. Gas mileage? WHO CARES!! Ha ha, kidding. I'm coming out of a 2003 4Runner with a V8 so it's going to be a big increase over that as far as gas mileage goes. So that's it, I'm buying it. Now all I have to do is sell my 4Runner. Unfortunately the trade in value was much much less than what it's worth and I’m not willing to take that kind of hit. By the way if there are any of you here in New Jersey interested in a Lexus go see Cal Hargrove at Prestige Lexus in Ramsey. Great guy, honest, up front, VERY knowledgeable and helpful and it looks like their prices are the best around. I originally told him what I wanted to pay for the car and what I wanted for my 4Runner and though he wasn't able to meet my requirements for the 4Runner he didn't bull*BLEEP* me. He told me straight up that it’s best if I sell it privately and told me as soon as I sell it to come see him and he'll get me a good price. I was looking for over 2 grand off sticker so it looks like he’s willing to do that and if he truly is then he’ll have my business.

Well really checked it out last night and test drove it and absolutely LOVE it. It's amazing. Gas mileage? WHO CARES!! Ha ha, kidding. I'm coming out of a 2003 4Runner with a V8 so it's going to be a big increase over that as far as gas mileage goes. So that's it, I'm buying it. Now all I have to do is sell my 4Runner. Unfortunately the trade in value was much much less than what it's worth and I’m not willing to take that kind of hit. By the way if there are any of you here in New Jersey interested in a Lexus go see Cal Hargrove at Prestige Lexus in Ramsey. Great guy, honest, up front, VERY knowledgeable and helpful and it looks like their prices are the best around. I originally told him what I wanted to pay for the car and what I wanted for my 4Runner and though he wasn't able to meet my requirements for the 4Runner he didn't bull*BLEEP* me. He told me straight up that it’s best if I sell it privately and told me as soon as I sell it to come see him and he'll get me a good price. I was looking for over 2 grand off sticker so it looks like he’s willing to do that and if he truly is then he’ll have my business.

We got ours at Prestige and were very happy with the sales person (not so happy with the finance rep., but that's because he didn't like how we were resourceful enough to get our own gap insurance, etc.) but mostly that the 400h was set to proper specs right out of the lot. I've heard horror stories about other dealers setting things to rx330 specs which has resulted in pulling, etc.

Anyway, I'm up to 2500 miles and the thing is really great. Mileage has been right near or over specs for trips over 2 miles - unfortunately my daily commute is 2.5 miles! Regardless, I love the car and am able to get quite close to mpg specs the rest of the time. Lots of room, power, safety, comfort, environmentally friendly, and AWD for the winter.

How long has been this been posted?

http://www.lexus.com/assets/models/hybrid/...mance_guide.pdf

I was telling my husband that Lexus ought to have provide an opportunity to have a "lesson" on obtaining the best mileage after they receive their car, or perhaps at the Taste of Lexus. On the other hand, to be honest, I enjoy the abilities of the car at other times. I don't slowly accelerate. I use the air conditioning, etc. But, I thought this was interesting. During good weather, I would be more apt to try and get better mileage. I'm not one of the gripes about the mileage though.

The whole premium fuel thing is interesting to me. I was told by the salesman to put premium fuel in. I was told later that it wasn't necessary. Others have said that it isn't worth it. With the price of premium 20 cents and more per gallon I doubt if it is worth it.

Who knows about the racks==the car looks funny without the racks. I always found it interesting to see the few RXs without racks, even back in '99.