Power Steering Flush Revisited......

99lsguy

Hey guys,

I flushed the PS fluid on the 99 LS last week - and also just got an inquiry on it from a fine member...

THought I"d just give out my procedure if you're interested... take care!!

I use Valvoline Dex III long life tranny fluid - got two - 3 quarts.

Now, it takes a little patience - but I don't remove anything on the car around the PS resevoir. :) You don't have to "start the car" or turn any belts by hand...........

First, take a litte medicine type "bulb" and extract all you can in the reservoir. you should be able to see the little "fan wheel" inside it. Takes a little at a time ( 1 ounce or two) each "suck" of the "bulb". I use a 5ml medicine dropper from Osco- Free with the Amoxicillin for the little ones :lol:

I then use needle nose pliers to pinch the clamp and either push is way down on the return tube or just pull it up on the reservoir tube and use masking tape to hold it up...

the return tube is probably "stuck" to the res. somewhat....so use the pliers and "work it around" a little and Push down till it breaks free...it will be prett stiff to push all the way off as the tube will bind a little -- but keep steady using long needle nose pliers and you'll get it!!!

Now -- I keep a little dixie cup handy and some rags to put under because PS fluid will come out from the hose and the reservoir --just about 3-4 ounces....enough to make a little mess and clean up later - so be ready for it!! Keep the hose upright to avoid maximum spillage.

I use those "sponge ear plugs" to plug the metal reservoir return tube!! Just roll it up tight and shove it up in their ...leaving about 1/4" to see...it will expand and keep drips away!! There is very little pressure so it will hold!! You can use a little piece of the clear hose with a plug - but it is difficult to do with restricted area - it's pretty tight around there....

Once out - use a 3/8" ID clear hose with a brass (similar) male connector and connect the return hose with it. this is about 3-4 feet long. Let it run over the front fender and down to a gallon milk jug. tape is securely to the jug so it won't spill.

Now here's the cool part!! I use two floor jacks and lift both front wheels up just and inch to clear the tires. Leave car in park and emergency brake on. Fill the reservoir with a littel bit of Dex III until its full. Leave the drivers window down and turn steering wheel "LOCK TO LOCK" thru about 4 times by hand. You can see the PS fluid being pumped into the jug over the fender. Refill reservoir and repeat procedure - after about 1 quart you should see the new, fresh Dex III in the tube. I usually flush about another 1/2 - 1 quart more to get it really clean :lol:

the last wheel turns you can do some extra so you can see some "gaps" in the Dex III fluid being pushed out. Stop and let it rest for a bit - it should "recess" back into the supply tube so you can take off the clear tube and coupler and not make too much of a mess. Reconnect to reservoir unit (take out ear plug!!) with clamp. This will take a little care because the space is tight! get your hand / fingers (or use long needle nose) under and lift it into the metal reserve tube and clean up any spills below.

Add just a little Dex III and cover with the cap loosely. Turn steering wheel lock to lock several times by hand. Check level so its on the bottom of the COLD mark. Now - Start the car and let idle.....turn lock to lock some more to get all the air bubbles out. You should hear no squealing /groaning and have nothing but total smoothness at the wheel. Turn car off. Let down the Jacks and recheck level Add a litte more Dex III if needed (if overfilled use the medicine dropper)... and tighten the cap.....

You are good to go!!!!

hello, i thought the LS400 uses TOYOTA TYPE IV tranny fluid, mine is a 96 and uses it, maybe am wrong but check your manual for compatibility of fluids, just a reminder  good job on your ps flush :cheers:

B ...

Yes, my manual (and PS cap) say 'DEX III or equivalent"....so I've been using the Max life for a few hears with no problems....

I think there is a big debate over the DexIII / Type IV issue........... :cheers:

Thanks for the write up.

Is it necessary to lift the front wheels off the ground to turn the steering?

Yes,

THis way........you can easily turn the wheel L to R (lock to lock) .........glides very well.

Otherwise, I would probably "bump the starter" to pump the fluid out if you can't lift the front wheels.......

Be careful, if it starts -- turn if off quickly!!!

99, I hope you don't mind but here is the link to the original PS Flush

Thanks for the revisit. I did it following the instructions. As stated by others, the return hose was a bear to get off, I finally cut it off.

What is bothering me now is the constant whirring noise. I suppose a rebuild is what's needed to fix that.