My Ls Idles At 3000

ehouman

I was having some dents in my 93' LS 400 removed by a shady body repair man, and I am afraid that in the process he might have messed with some stuff under my hood in the hopes of making an easy buck. The problem, which appeared out of no where and wasnt there when I drove the car 10 minutes prior, is my car idles at around 3000RPM when its in park and gives off a rich exhaust fume. The repair man told me with great certanty it was a "heat sensor" problem and said he can buy a new one for 140.00USD.

Anybody know what the real problem is or what he might have done to my car behind my back?

Any help is grealy appreciated.

Damn, now that sucks. I would tell him you're calling the better busines bureu and reporting him. How in the hell does a heat sensor have anything....and I mean ANYTHING to do with your idle speed? You got ripped off. I'm betting he either tweeked up your throttle cable or screwed with the tps. He'll take your $140 and turn the setting back down to normal. I'm serious man, I would call him, ask him a BILLION questions about that heat sensor "part number, location, effect it has on your idle, where in the chain of events in the car's operation it is in, etc...." just bug the snot out of him, and hit him with a very stern "hawkeye". That is just crap man...pure, straight across the board, stinkin' like Arkansas road kill in August...CRAP!

Tell him to give you the part number and post it up here. I'll hunt it down and tell you exactly what he's wanting you to purchase, and how much it really costs.

I agree! Man, people like that just get under my skin. I think I would just lose it if someone tried to pull that scam on me.

Sounds like a true rip off attempt. First clue is that a body man wants to do engine work????? That's strange in itself, sounds like he screwed with something that he will straighten out as soon as you turn your back again.

Sounds like a true rip off attempt.  First clue is that a body man wants to do engine work?????  That's strange in itself, sounds like he screwed with something that he will straighten out as soon as you turn your back again.

yeah i dont see how poppin some dents can raise your idle speed i woulddef. put some pressure on this guy and MAKE him fix whatever he messed with

Sounds like a true rip off attempt.  First clue is that a body man wants to do engine work?????  That's strange in itself, sounds like he screwed with something that he will straighten out as soon as you turn your back again.

yeah i dont see how poppin some dents can raise your idle speed i woulddef. put some pressure on this guy and MAKE him fix whatever he messed with

thanks for the help people. what ended up happening was i told the guy to fix it and i will pay him next week because i didnt have any money. he takes out my TPS, tells me he is going to his friends auto shop to get it replaced (for 140 dollars of course). He comes back within 15 minutes with the alledged new TPS. But what he didnt know is that i put a tiny mark with a sharpie on the back of the TPS sensor to be able to identify it. He pulls out the "new" tps sensor, and it obviously is the one that i marked. Told the *BLEEP* to fix it and get the *BLEEP* outta my sight. i told him if he didnt i would report him to the BBB, he fixed it.

Thats great!

I hate mechanics that try to screw us. I had one when I was about 20 and he took me for a huge ride. Right after 2k engine work he put a $1200 exhaust on an 89 Trooper. I hate that guy, but now I have the best mechanic.

Last week I was Mr. handyman and attempted to fix a ladies windshield wiper motor and fender (R2). That means remove and replace fender. Well anyways I wanted a tan at same time so spent about 4 hours getting pisted off! On top of that the $20 dollar 200 piece tool set I have sucks! Since the fender was in a minor bump and not the exact match it was a pain in the butt. In the end or after 5 hours I fixed the motor (damn wiper arm assembly) and stated it must go to mechanic on Monday.

Well $60 dollars later everything was done. The fender was about 75% on and if I had the banged piece on he would have not repaired body work, so it worked out great and I look like the mack!