93 Gs300 Intake

Well the GS needs a new air filter so i finally figured that after all these years of ignoring it and not putting any performance stuff on it (its slow as *BLEEP* anyways) i might try a Cold air intake.

who sells a nice one? I dont want one of the $50 craptacular fleagay kinds.

Anyone ever change the timing on these things?

i've been running 89 in it fine ever since gas hit $3.00 for premium here. but its all factory timing.

oh and anyone ever think of taking all those mufflers and cats off on these things. it has way too many. How do they sound with the middle resonators removed and only the front cats and back mufflers attached?

anyone make a good exhaust cat-back for these?

my stock grand cherokee ran 14.8's @ 90mph so since gas got expensive i've been driving the lexus, and i cant stand how slow it is.

I have been considering buying this from ebay, but I too am not sure about the value here or to simply buy a drop in K&N filter.

Plus this comes without instructions, does anyone have experience with installation

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

For those who know, please let us know the best cold air product or if the BFI approach (I have a SC400 as well) will work?

For a 2001 GS 300

Cheers

47109313.xP5090049.jpg

I have been considering buying this from ebay, but I too am not sure about the value here or to simply buy a drop in K&N filter.

Plus this comes without instructions, does anyone have experience with installation

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

For those who know, please let us know the best cold air product or if the BFI approach (I have a SC400 as well) will work?

For a 2001 GS 300

Cheers

47109313.xP5090049.jpg

That ebay intake is garbage as is but you can cut it down a bit and replace your current intake resinator with the polished 3 in. intake tube and you will have this...

And the only piece that you have to cut off is this restrictor [ see 3rd pic ]... Which can be easily epoxied back on if you choose to go stock again. This should work for your 93.

post-1634-1124981699_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124981712_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124981824_thumb.jpg

That ebay intake is garbage as is but you can cut it down a bit and replace your current intake resinator with the polished 3 in. intake tube and you will have this...

And the only piece that you have to cut off is this restrictor [ see 3rd pic ]... Which can be easily epoxied back on if you choose to go stock again. This should work for your 93.

Where can I get the material to do this job?

What is the list of materials required?

Can you e-mail me your close up pics?

Which car is Mod'd in your pics - GS300 '01?

Cheers

Where can I get the material to do this job?

What is the list of materials required?

Can you e-mail me your close up pics?

Which car is Mod'd in your pics - GS300 '01?

Cheers

The intake mod will work on your 01, Mine is a 98 same thing basically. Search ebay for a inexpensive short ram intake with the filter [ you need the rubber ring on the filter to epoxy on your air filter box ] Then cut the polished tube down on both ends to fit in the space that exists between the throttle body and the airfilter box. Use the silicone adapter for the throttle body end and the other end slides into that rubber air filter ring that came with the tube. It is really easy and I could feel the difference right away and it is still quiet.

Your email is listed private ? Can't send those pix.

I tried to PM, but it didn't work?

Sorry for the different size pix but you get the idea. The rubber ring is what you need from the conical filter that comes with the intake. And the pic of the air intake sensor mount is the part you cut off of the air filter box[ there is one on your new intake welded on ]. You epoxy the rubber ring onto the filter box. Then cut the intake to fit. Done deal.

post-1634-1124989469_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124989507_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124989565_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124989609_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1124989626_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the different size pix but you get the idea. The rubber ring is what you need from the conical filter that comes with the intake. And the pic of the air intake sensor mount is the part you cut off of the air filter box[ there is one on your new intake welded on ]. You epoxy the rubber ring onto the filter box. Then cut the intake to fit. Done deal.

Excellent, got the pics - thanks so much

Many of the air intakes on ebay that are "cheap" are up until 2000 and my ride is 2001.

Is there one that you are aware that will cross over into 2001, or do I need to get the one in the previous link?

Sorry to be such a bother, but so far this is great feedback

Excellent, got the pics - thanks so much

Many of the air intakes on ebay that are "cheap" are up until 2000 and my ride is 2001.

Is there one that you are aware that will cross over into 2001, or do I need to get the one in the previous link?

Sorry to be such a bother, but so far this is great feedback

Post a couple of pics of your intake and engine bay, We'll go from there.

Here is a link for a 01 it looks the same as the 98-00 http://cgi.ebay.com/Lexus-GS300-3-0L-98-01...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sweet, I will take a few pictures tonight and post them

Thanks again for you time on this

Here you go

GS300 2001

48241670.P8260286.jpg

48241671.P8260287.jpg

48241672.P8260288.jpg

48241673.P8260289.jpg

Looks like your air flow sensor is different, Contact the seller on ebay and ask for the details on the sensor mount to make sure it will fit. Other than that It looks like the same.

Looks like your air flow sensor is different, Contact the seller on ebay and ask for the details on the sensor mount to make sure it will fit. Other than that It looks like the same.

Other then the sensor mount you believe all your recommendations will work?

What type of gains can I expect from this effort?

Other then the sensor mount you believe all your recommendations will work?

What type of gains can I expect from this effort?

Yes it looks like it will work. Gains? The engine breaths easier and I could feel a difference. Maybe a IS intake has the same mount for the sensor. Check that out.

[

Yes it looks like it will work. Gains? The engine breaths easier and I could feel a difference. Maybe a IS intake has the same mount for the sensor. Check that out.

OK e-mail the guy, so i have to wait

Why do you feel the stock filter works better then a cone filter?

I think I need to understand the benefits of just adding the metal tube?

Sorry about my ignorance

[

OK e-mail the guy, so i have to wait

Why do you feel the stock filter works better then a cone filter?

I think I need to understand the benefits of just adding the metal tube?

Sorry about my ignorance

The cone intake will just suck in the hot air from your engine bay , While the stock setup is cold air and sucks in cold air from the outside. The metal tube is a larger diameter than the stock tube and less restricting. ;)

Oh yeah, It looks clean too....

The cone intake will just suck in the hot air from your engine bay , While the stock setup is cold air and sucks in cold air from the outside. The metal tube is a larger diameter than the stock tube and less restricting. ;)

Although the guys English may not be convincing, he says it will fit

"Yes,fits your car...no fit i full refund ...thanks.."

So give me a few weeks to get the item and then I will drop a posting

Thanks for all your help

Although the guys English may not be convincing, he says it will fit

"Yes,fits your car...no fit i full refund ...thanks.."

So give me a few weeks to get the item and then I will drop a posting

Thanks for all your help

While you have your intake apart it would be a good time to clean the maf and throttle body. It wouldn't hurt to give the engine bay a cleaning also. ;)

While you have your intake apart it would be a good time to clean the maf and throttle body. It wouldn't hurt to give the engine bay a cleaning also. ;)

How do you go about cleaning the maf and throttle body?

This is the wife's car and you're right the engine could use a cleaning, but my 92 SC400 engine could serve breakfast :P

How do you go about cleaning the maf and throttle body?

This is the wife's car and you're right the engine could use a cleaning, but my 92 SC400 engine could serve breakfast :P

For the maf use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab [ BE CAREFUL DO NOT DAMAGE SENSOR ] Use a good carb cleaner for thr throttle body. Attached is an exploded view of the intake.

gs300_plug_replacement.pdf