Short Throw Shifter

So where do you obtain a short throw shifter for 92 sc300? TRD site says shifter is only for the JZZ30 ,94.1 and up. Someone posted that the short shifters on ebay are just shifters that are cut off. Are there any sites or dealers out there?

I don't know about the Supra issue. Only way to find out is to try it. I bought one of the ones off e-bay. I don't see why a cut down rewelded shifter for 70$ is worse than a machined shorter shifter for 300$. They both do the same thing I think.

• 5 weeks later...

I also bought a $70 short shifter off ebay. the throw was not decreased by that much, although it is a little shorter. it looks great though. i havent had any problems as far as the strength or anything, so i figure it will hold up. Plus, $70 isnt bad at all, even if it is just for the look.

I will ask again how a custom shortened lever is not a functional shorter throw? The TRD piece for JZA80 NA 5speed "should" work. But it is not worth 300 to 500$ in my opinion. Drag cars and track drivers actually have higher sticks on their manuals to bring the distance from the steering wheel to the stick down. So where is the true functionality really at? Just thinking out loud.

The JZZ30 is the Jspec version of the SC300. It is the Soarer TT. Our SC300 is the the JZZ31 so that part should work as well.

• 2 weeks later...

that sucks... I guess if you go back to stock shifter and get the shortest shift knob you can find it will help. I was at a hardware store and they sold shift knobs there and one product said that it was heavy so you can shift easier. It's probably bs.

I'm thinking before you get a short shifter you should learn how to shift well. When shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th you shift as if you are following through spiking a volleyball over the net. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th is tricky for me. I'm not so sure about that correct form on that.

Btw, http://www.celicasupra.com/TransTech.htm says that Redline MT90 manual transmission oil helps the shift between 1st to 2nd. My sc300 has the same problem so I decided to use it. So I changed the transmission fluid as well as the differential fluid and my god it smells so bad. Anyways it's been about 500 miles and I don't notice any difference. I still feel that jam between 1st to 2nd. However if I shift nice and slow and at a certain angle the shifter goes into the gate very smoothly.

the weight of the ball does matter some companies sell shifter handles with different weights to fit the needs of the car and driver and as for the gear oil i like that smell but i guess that just makes me a little wired :lol: