Abs Sensors Failure

flippu10

92 ES300 ABS light on dash have been on for awhile. Finally had it checked out and the shop said it read all 4 sensors faulty. Shop wanted to replace for $900. Could the failure be due to dirty sensors? Can I clean them? Is that advisable? I have 175K miles on the car. They may be dirty. I heard that the sensors rarely go bad. Any ideas, advice? Thanks.

Had similar problem.

The first quick check is to check the resistance of each sensor with an ohm meter. My sensor measured 0 ohms or open circuit.

You would need to access the connector that (for the front wheel sensor for a 93 ES300) is located at the top of the wheel well, behind the front wheel well cover, or underneath the fender.

Pull the connector apart and you will see 2 contacts, measure across the contacts.

If you get about 1200 ohms then the sensor is OK from a continuity perspective.

If a sensor checks out fine at this point then cleaning it is the next step. This involves pulling the drive shaft out of the wheel hub.

If you plan on doing more work on the car yourself then it is recommended that you get the repair manual.

Also, the repair manual will show you how to access the ABS fault codes.

If you need help then let me know and I will post additional info on the procedures.

Cheers and good luck!

Hey, thanks for responding to the email and advice. Checking the continuity of the sensors is a good idea. I'll do that.

As far as cleaning the sensor, couldn't I just remove the sensor from the axle (bottom of the strut) and clean it with brake cleaner. It looks like it's only held in place by 2 screws.

Had similar problem.

The first quick check is to check the resistance of each sensor with an ohm meter.  My sensor measured 0 ohms or open circuit.

You would need to access the connector that (for the front wheel sensor for a 93 ES300) is located at the top of the wheel well, behind the front wheel well cover, or underneath the fender.

Pull the connector apart and you will see 2 contacts, measure across the contacts. 

If you get about 1200 ohms then the sensor is OK from a continuity perspective.

If a sensor checks out fine at this point then cleaning it is the next step.  This involves pulling the drive shaft out of the wheel hub.

If you plan on doing more work on the car yourself then it is recommended that you get the repair manual.

Also, the repair manual will show you how to access the ABS fault codes.

If you need help then let me know and I will post additional info on the procedures.

Cheers and good luck!

You can try to remove the sensor, but they are usually seized and and are quite brittle. Be careful if you try this.

My 93 ES300 has seen many winters so the sensor is not coming out easily or intact.

A mechanic told me that a ABS issue is either dirt or broken teeth on the speed ring. The speed ring is on the axle shaft and as it spins the sensor senses (pardong the pun) through magnetic induction (I think) the speed. THe sensor sends back a series of pulses.

When you have the dive shaft pulled out, inspect the speed ring. Pulling the drive shaft can be fun. You can leave the rotor and brakes stuff on. Need to remove the axle nut, the steering and stabilizer nuts. The manual is key to this. I can post the manual directions if you wish. Getting the axle nut off without a impact wrench may be the hardest part of this procedure. IF you have an impact wrench then this entire procedure is not that hard.... if you have more than 5 screwdrivers than you are probably a seasoned DIYer.

Another thought is to get the ABS codes and that will help in narrowing the problem. The procedure for doing this is in the manual. It entails accessing one of two diagnostic connectors, jumping some pins and reading the flashing ABS light to get the 2 digit code.

Let me know if you are interested in doing this.

Here to help. I have done this procedure at least 3 times in the last year.

Trying to replace failed sensors cheaply is the next trick.....

I've had the ABS indicator light in the dash on for over a year. I recently had it checked in an auto shop to read the code. They tell me the code indicates all 4 sensors failed. They estimated $900 to replace all 4 sensors. I thought I'd check them out first and try to clean them.

You're right, when I checked the location of the sensors, they look pretty rusted and corroded. This car has seen a lot of Chicago winters. I'll soak it in WD40 or one of those types of products for a few days before I attempt to loosen the screw.

I'll do it this weekend. I'll let you know if I this does not work. I may have to check out the speed ring teeth.

By the way, In case I have to replace the sensors, do you know of a place where I can get them cheaply. I was thinking maybe a used-car place. The price I got so far is about $130 each - brand new.

Oh another thing. I'm also trying to get a manual for this car (1992 ES300), the only Haynes manual I could find is a Camry for the same year. Do you know where I can get a good one. Which one would you recommend? I have a few other work I need to do on this car (replace rear shocks).

Thanks for all your help and advice.

You can try to remove the sensor, but they are usually seized and and are quite brittle.  Be careful if you try this.

My 93 ES300 has seen many winters so the sensor is not coming out easily or intact.

A mechanic told me that a ABS issue is either dirt or broken teeth on the speed ring.  The speed ring is on the axle shaft and as it spins the sensor senses (pardong the pun) through magnetic induction (I think) the speed.  THe sensor sends back a series of pulses. 

When you have the dive shaft pulled out, inspect the speed ring.  Pulling the drive shaft can be fun.  You can leave the rotor and brakes stuff on.  Need to remove the axle nut, the steering and stabilizer nuts.  The manual is key to this.  I can post the manual directions if you wish.  Getting the axle nut off without a impact wrench may be the hardest part of this procedure. IF you have an impact wrench then this entire procedure is not that hard.... if you have more than 5 screwdrivers than you are probably a seasoned DIYer.

Another thought is to get the ABS codes and that will help in narrowing the problem.  The procedure for doing this is in the manual. It entails accessing one of two diagnostic connectors, jumping some pins and reading the flashing ABS light to get the 2 digit code.

Trying to replace failed sensors cheaply is the next trick.....

I find it almost impossible to have all 4 sensors broken at the same time.

Get a second opinion.

The sensors will always look rusted as small metal shreds are stuck to the magnetic ABS sensors .

WD40 is a useless POS don't wate your time get PB blaster if needed to penatrate.

The sensors are brittle and cannot be pressed out.usually the sensors never go bad it is a case of the hubs being worn and the tolerances being way out of spec causing them to not read.

If the abs light does not come on until you start moving it is a sensor or hub.

I tried taking one of the front sensors out yesterday. I was able to remove the bolt that attaches it to the hub no problem. I wasn't exactly sure how the sensor was inserted to the hub and it wasn't coming off. I pried it out with a screwdriver. It looks like the top plastic part of the sensor came off from the part with a needle like metal (magnet). The tip of the needle (magnet) with the rest of the sensor is stuck in the hub. How do I remove that? can I dig out the edges of it that looks like plastic. I screwed up.

Right now, I just put the top part of the sensor sitting right on top of the piec that's stuck in the hub and bolted it back down.

Any advice?

The ABS ligh is always on in the dash as soon as the car is started.

Darn!! I thought I screwed that one up. I did not see how you can press it out. It looks like the axle will have to come out and the sensor need to be pushed out fromthe inside out. Is that how it's done. I would like to take it in to the shop to have it done. How much does the labor cost for something like this?

Another thought is to get the ABS codes and that will help in narrowing the problem.  The procedure for doing this is in the manual. It entails accessing one of two diagnostic connectors, jumping some pins and reading the flashing ABS light to get the 2 digit code.

Great post, honkland! :D

I need to check this out on my '93 as well. ABS light first came on about 4 or 5 months ago, it was intermittent for a while. ABS worked fine when light was off, didn't work when it came on. This went on for about a month or two, then the light stayed on steadily as soon as the car was started. No ABS since then. Local dealers want $75 - $100 just to read the codes, and they tell me that they might not be able to say for certain what the problem is anyway. No thanks! <_<

I could take it to a shop & just tell them to fix it... but most shops would rather just replace everything whether it's broken or not. Much simpler and quicker for them. But I like to know what's wrong first, fix it myself if I can and let someone else do it if I don't have the time, the tools, or the skill. I don't mind paying someone else for their experience or expertise. I just like to be sure that what's being repaired is actually going to fix the problem!

Could you post the procedure mentioned above, as well as the codes, from your manual? Do you have a factory manual or an "aftermarket" one? I need to get one, which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

tck...