Emergency! Away From Home

skyview

Greetings,

My ABS and battery discharge light came on today while driving. On the way back, both lights remained off until the battery discharge came back on after 40 minutes of driving.

I did notice a high pitch whinning noise coming from under the hood when I first started the car. I thought it was Power Steering related but the resevior was full.

I replaced the battery about a month ago. I checked the fuses and belt tension which appears to be fine. The closest automotive shops near Perimeter Mall that I have located is Firestone or GoodYear.

Does the symptoms above sound like a bad altenator? Would you feel comfortable with Firestone or GoodYear working on your car or would you have the car towed to a Toyota dealership? Keep in mind that you and your family are 400 miles away from home.

Does anyone know if a Toyota alternator will work on a Lexus?

Perhaps one of the good members can recommend a good shop in the Dunwoody / Perimeter Mall area.

Thanks In Advance

Is the acessory belt loose or broken?

I would check the belt, if not, take it to a Toyota/Lexus dealer. NEVER go to the Firestone or good year.

Also, if you go to the Lexus dealer, they will charge you close to 750+ for the alternator, which can be found 200-300 online. But since your on a trip, you might not have a choice. Good luck.

Is the acessory belt loose or broken?

I would check the belt, if not, take it to a Toyota/Lexus dealer. NEVER go to the Firestone or good year.

Also, if you go to the Lexus dealer, they will charge you close to 750+ for the alternator, which can be found 200-300 online. But since your on a trip, you might not have a choice. Good luck.

I located a Toyota dealership that's less than three miles away. I'll have them check the accessory belt first.

Thanks Everyone ...

It is pretty easy to check the belt your self.

First thing in the morning when you start the car does the belt squeel like mad?If so it is loose or slipping for some reason.

Otherwise just look to see if it is there and does not have rips cracks or cuts.