Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

jeremyquinn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNETIC-OI...70486QQtcZphoto

Saw this on ebay....just ordered my Amsoil for the 1994 Lexus GS300 I purchased and was thinking about buying this oil plug.

Good? Or waste of money?

Expensive for what it is. There are several magnets on the bottom of your oil pan now. You have to drop the pan to get to them and they already catch the metalic particals. So if you want to remove the debris on the magnets drop the pan and clean away. Besides it looks like it sticks up into the oil and not on the bottom where debris settles.

What do you hope to gain with Amsoil or a magnetic drain plug? Of all the engine failures you read about on this and other Toyota forums none were caused by owner failure to use synthetic oil or a magnetic drain plug. In fact, some of the failures were indirectly caused by use of synthetic oil; i.e. the owner disregarded Toyotas warning not to extend oil changes when using synthetic oil.

What do you hope to gain with Amsoil or a magnetic drain plug?  Of all the engine failures you read about on this and other Toyota forums none were caused by owner failure to use synthetic oil or a magnetic drain plug.   In fact, some of the failures were indirectly caused by use of synthetic oil; i.e. the owner disregarded Toyotas warning not to extend oil changes when using synthetic oil.

Well, I've done a ton of reading and I believe Amsoil is the way to go...at least Mobile 1 syn....what I hope to gain is an extended drain interval and a little saving of money. I went with the ASL 5w30 from Amsoil. It has a 7,500 or 6 month drain interval.

I saw your reply to the "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know, about motor oil" thread.

After all that data you said "Excellent? No, it's just generic engine oil information that is not necessarily applicable to Asian car manufacturers. For example, the article says: "Very few manufactures recommend 10W-40 any more, and some threaten to void warranties if it is used." . But the facts are even for the 2005 models, Nissan says 10W-40 is fine for temps above zero degrees http://www.saber.net/~monarch/nissan.jpg and Hyundai even approves of the use of 10W-50 http://www.saber.net/~monarch/hyundai2.jpg "

You didn't even address all the great data that proves sythentic is superior to conventional oil.

Please explain your line of thought....I'm open to learning if you got something to teach me other then the fact that Toyota doesn't recommend exceeding their interval.

What do you hope to gain with Amsoil or a magnetic drain plug?  Of all the engine failures you read about on this and other Toyota forums none were caused by owner failure to use synthetic oil or a magnetic drain plug.   In fact, some of the failures were indirectly caused by use of synthetic oil; i.e. the owner disregarded Toyotas warning not to extend oil changes when using synthetic oil.

Well, I've done a ton of reading and I believe Amsoil is the way to go...at least Mobile 1 syn....what I hope to gain is an extended drain interval and a little saving of money. I went with the ASL 5w30 from Amsoil. It has a 7,500 or 6 month drain interval.

I saw your reply to the "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know, about motor oil" thread.

After all that data you said "Excellent? No, it's just generic engine oil information that is not necessarily applicable to Asian car manufacturers. For example, the article says: "Very few manufactures recommend 10W-40 any more, and some threaten to void warranties if it is used." . But the facts are even for the 2005 models, Nissan says 10W-40 is fine for temps above zero degrees http://www.saber.net/~monarch/nissan.jpg and Hyundai even approves of the use of 10W-50 http://www.saber.net/~monarch/hyundai2.jpg "

You didn't even address all the great data that proves sythentic is superior to conventional oil.

Please explain your line of thought....I'm open to learning if you got something to teach me other then the fact that Toyota doesn't recommend exceeding their interval.

ASL 5W 30 is what I use as well jeremy along with the Amsoil oil filter. B) I wouldn't bother with that magnetic oil plug however.......I just let the oil drain out a bit longer when it's hot & replace the oil plug gasket (or crush washer as some call it) every oil change. ;)

:cheers:

Alright...I ain't gonna mess with the oil plug, but I am going to stick with the Amsoil....I read through the huge syn vs dino oil threads last night...the ones on this forum and clublexus. I see Monarch a.k.a. Saber has a long history arguing his point.

My conclusion is that for my purposes the Amsoil with the 7,500k drain interval will serve me well. I did the math last night and every 6 months we will only drive our two cars (my 1994 GS300 and my wife's 05 Corolla S) approximately 5,400 miles each. So it's not like I really pushing this oil.

Laters!

Alright...I ain't gonna mess with the oil plug, but I am going to stick with the Amsoil....I read through the huge syn vs dino oil threads last night...the ones on this forum and clublexus.  I see Monarch a.k.a. Saber has a long history arguing his point.

That's an understatement! :whistles: ;)

My conclusion is that for my purposes the Amsoil with the 7,500k drain interval will serve me well.  I did the math last night and every 6 months we will only drive our two cars (my 1994 GS300 and my wife's 05 Corolla S) approximately 5,400 miles each.  So it's not like I really pushing this oil.

Laters!

Agreed & best of luck jeremy! B)

:cheers:

1) Amsoil oils (not XL) can go a lot longer then 7,500 or 6 months.

2) Most times the thinner oils in today’s cars is because of EPA reasons and not design.

3) Synthetics (group 4 and 5) can go longer, perform better, extra protection the dino oils. It is a fact and looking at the numbers will tell you that.

I am not poking fun of anyone but some here like the synthwtic and others do not. They will fight tooth and nail rather then say it is better. Unless it comes with a Lexus or Toyota stamp they do not like it. Once (not if) Lexus go to synthetic watch how fast they change. J

If you are doing these short drains (below 7,500 miles) I do not know what you will benefit from using a real synthetic. You could use a blend (group 3) and get the same results (I would think). But on the flip side blends are almost the same price as the real stuff.