93 Ls400 Struts

kwaish

Hi, Need some help for a newbie.. I have a well maintained 93 lexus ls400 with 93 k miles on it.. Just started hearing some sounds in the rear side and took to the nearby firestone. They told me the springs of the struts are broken and have asked me to come back for an estimation. What is the best way to go ahead? It was a great car.. Its just that my stupid city have been laying the roads to my house for 40 days now.. :censored:

I would go get a second opinion even if you have to pay Lexus $75 to check it. Firestone doesn't know Jack about a Lexus. I drove in Boston before and was quite glad it was in a rental car.

Yeah dude, get a second opinion! Look at the spring, does it look broken? I would think if you actually broke the spring, you'd have more symptoms than just a noise. I would think that there would be no way you could miss having a broken spring. Sounds like a bushing in the suspension to me. But a broken spring?

wouldnt that make the car lean a little?

Hi all.. Thanks for the comments.. Actualy the car leans very low on the driver rear side now.. I myself used the jack and saw the springs broken real bad.. I could actually take out one of the broken piece... I have obviously not tried to drive it anymore... Pls. let me know what should I do? Can I just get the spring? Or should I replace the entire set.. I bought it an year back with no guarantee from a dealer.. And also If I am replacing should i replace the entire rear side ones?

Thanks again..

If it were me, I would buy two springs for the rear. Since you'll have one new one, and one old one, the car might lean towards the side with the old one. You can get them for about $78 each from parts.com. These are oem lexus parts, of which I highly recommend since these cars are so sensitive to vibration issues in suspension parts.

If it were me, I would buy two springs for the rear. Since you'll have one new one, and one old one, the car might lean towards the side with the old one. You can get them for about $78 each from parts.com. These are oem lexus parts, of which I highly recommend since these cars are so sensitive to vibration issues in suspension parts.

I went to firestone again for an estimate and they provided an estimate of $664. :chairshot: :o

Parts: Springs (2) - 258

Labor: 302

Allignment: 70

I asked if I could buy the parts from outside and they refused..

I went to another mechanic nearby and he has told me to comein next weekend as he is busy.. This guy is supposed to be good as one of my neighbours who has a LS400 has been visiting him for ages now..

Can I do it myself? :geek:

You can, but it is a chore! Take it from me, and look at my signature below, it's not as easy as you would think. You have to remove the back seats for starters to gain access to the top of the shock towers. You need spring compressors to hold down the springs, which can be a real back breaker to tighten, and tighen, and tighten, tired......keep on tightening. You also need a breaker bar to get them loose from the lower control arm, and it can be a difficult and clumsy process to get them out, and back on. There is quite a bit of torque in these suspension parts. I did the fronts myself, the control arms, shocks, ect.... It was enough to motivate me to shell out $600 for someone else to do the rear work. I suggest you buy the springs yourself from the online vendor, and then take them to a toyota / lexus indi shop and ask them to put them on. That way, you're not paying full retail + for the parts "as they will charge you that". All you'll be paying for is their labor. I'd say probably $250 worse case on the labor for both sides.

you did notice that they quoted you over $100 more for the parts than you can get from the oem dealer online?

....$70 for an alignment? Take it to the dealership for that! My dealership here charges that for a 4 wheel alighment, and it is perfect everytime.

• 2 weeks later...
....$70 for an alignment? Take it to the dealership for that! My dealership here charges that for a 4 wheel alighment, and it is perfect everytime.

Guys.. Thanks for your help.. I got it done by this mechanic who was recomended by my friend for $395 with OEM parts.. The guy charged only $150 for labour though he took almost one week to see the car due to his busy schedule... Saved 250 dollars!!

All in all my LS400 has been a godsend.. Spent $500 thru the year including the above and it runs like a king!! I just love this car.. :D