2000 Gs Radio Question....

Okay...Its been like 6 months since I last posted, so excuse me if I feel like a noobers! I have the stock Lexus oem Pioneer stereo and changer in my 2000 GS. My display was starting to go bad and I started looking for a cheap oem replacement. Well, my buddy's younger brother had his 2003 GS430 totalled about a week ago. He had put in an aftermarket head unit, but was hanging onto the oem one in case he decided to sell his car and put back the oem unit. Well, he doesnt have that problem and he pretty much traded me for some computer repair services for his head unit.

My question is that his head unit has the three buttons which arent on mine. Mine has the ASL listening button. His has 3 buttons, that are below the round tune knob, labeled

RDS,

TRAF,

&

TYPE.

First off, what are they? Second, and most important, will that head unit work in my car.

They are both made by Pioneer. Any help would be appreciated, id hate to take apart my center console to find out it doesnt work.

Thanks again.

ALL STOCK BABY!!!!

I believe that those buttons provide text information about the song, artist and radio station that you are listening to. Unless you need a different antenna wiring harness that gathers this information over radio waves, I think the swap should be clean.

715090_24.jpg

I believe that those buttons provide text information about the song, artist and radio station that you are listening to.  Unless you need a different antenna wiring harness that gathers this information over radio waves, I think the swap should be clean.

715090_24.jpg

Direct upgrade, Plug and play. B)

• 9 months later...

Thanks for everyone's input and help. Unfortunately, the harness does not match. So now.... :(

I have an LCD display for a Pioneer GS stereo with RDS for sale.

I know many of GS owners are having problems with the LCD fading. Well, I have a 2000 pioneer which had the same problem and I took a brand new 2002 GS's stereo apart and detached the LCD. (my friend took out his stereo 2 months after he bought it for an aftermarket unit)It was quite easy. The stereo I disassembled had RDS (it has 3 buttons that say traffic, data, and one other) and I put it into my stereo. The reason I didnt just take the 2002 stereo and install it was because the harness's were incompatable and did not fit. Well, I ended up having to buy the lcd direct from Pioneer. It was $98 w/ shipping. Plugged it in, and it worked like a champ.

Thats the reason I have a brand new lcd that I want to sell. Let me know if someone wants to buy it. Any reasonable offer will due. :) I can also tell you how to do it. It's easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's input and help. Unfortunately, the harness does not match. So now.... :(

I have an LCD display for a Pioneer GS stereo with RDS for sale.

I know many of GS owners are having problems with the LCD fading. Well, I have a 2000 pioneer which had the same problem and I took a brand new 2002 GS's stereo apart and detached the LCD. (my friend took out his stereo 2 months after he bought it for an aftermarket unit)It was quite easy. The stereo I disassembled had RDS (it has 3 buttons that say traffic, data, and one other) and I put it into my stereo. The reason I didnt just take the 2002 stereo and install it was because the harness's were incompatable and did not fit. Well, I ended up having to buy the lcd direct from Pioneer. It was $98 w/ shipping. Plugged it in, and it worked like a champ.

Thats the reason I have a brand new lcd that I want to sell. Let me know if someone wants to buy it. Any reasonable offer will due. :) I can also tell you how to do it. It's easy.

yes the 2000 gs is second genration gs radio and the 2001 is third generation. every new generation of lexus radios have new radio plugs and usuually a new radio shape and size. but the third generation gs radios are same size as second generation the only lexus model that didnt change the radio opening in the dash. but the third geration radio went to the standard 20 pin plug like all the other third generation lexus radios so the wires would have to be matched and connected just like if you put in an aftermarket radio but of course much better than any aftermarket radio because the third geration gs radio will show lexus xm and such peripherals on the lcd instead of a hand held fm modulated xm unit like the 2nd generation.