Check This Out...

does the airflow cog change apply to to the 1mz or just the 3?  Mines a 94 es

Glad someone brought this up again... I've been meaning to post an update for a few days, never got around to it.

Had a driveability problem under some circumstances after I leaned out the mixture. Seemed great for a couple of weeks, no ill effects at all. Then my son complained of the car "bogging down" (his words) on acceleration when the engine was cold sometimes. I told him to take it easy on the gas pedal when the engine was cold - I figured he was just trying to accelerate too fast before the engine had warmed up enough (I was 17 once, too!). Everything OK after that. But I was out of town for a few days - a great road trip, by the way, around 900 miles in a couple of travel days. I got into the car one morning (warm weather about 80 degrees F, quite humid), started the car & drove off as normal. The engine bogged, the car almost stopped! Let off the gas, it was better. On the gas, bogging very badly. No sputtering or backfiring, no warning lights, nothing to indicate a problem except the car wouldn't go anywhere. I turned around & went back to where I'd started. Popped the hood & took the cover off the airflow meter (glad I left my fancy electrical tape in place & didn't seal it back up yet). Used my little keychain-size multi-tool to move the cog back to the red line I had put on it. (thanks for the tip Toysrme). Started up the car - way better, smooth & back to normal. Since I was far from home I thought I'd better leave it like that & mess with it some more later. It's still back in it's original "factory" state now, I haven't had time to fool with it any more.

I never did mess with the timing, maybe that would have helped. The fact that it behaves this way intermittently and not all the time makes me wonder if something is starting to fail or go "out of spec" under some conditions. I've replaced just about everything (plugs, cap rotor, etc.) except the O2 sensors, they are original never changed ('93, around 120,000 miles). Could it be a failing sensor? No CEL or any warnings. Fuel mileage should be better, IMO.

As I mentioned before, it's running well now. Any ideas??

tck...

I had one of those "HOLY S**T!!" moments this morning.

Changed both O2 sensors last week. Decided to try the "lean fuel mixture" thing again, as discussed above. Popped open the airflow cover, then realized... I had turned the little cog the wrong way the last time I did this! That would explain the crappy "bogging" acceleration, as I had actually made the engine run RICHER than stock, instead of leaner.

I turned it in the "Pink" direction, NOT the "Blue", as I should have.

post-10851-1128978776_thumb.jpg

You can see my red mark just under the little coiled spring - the wrong direction...

post-10851-1128979712_thumb.jpg

It's "fixed" now...

I put it back where it started... then turned it 5 "clicks" the other way (the "Blue" way).

Went for a drive to check it out. So far... so good! Much more responsive throttle. I'll leave it for a while & update later.

Hey, nobody's perfect!!

tck...

;)

Wait till you grab a timing light & go to 14-17*btdc timing. peak horsepower & horsepower overall won' really change much. But it'll shift the powerband a couple hundred RPM earlier & throttle responce will get much better!

wonder if this would work on my scort :whistles:

... don't know about that - I'm much better with "old-school" engines. Give me a big old Detroit iron V-8... or a little old multi-carb Brit 4 cyl - those things I understand.

Really though, the basic idea is the same - air goes in, mix with fuel, add spark... bang!! make power. Balancing the air and fuel, and timing the spark are the only tricks. The same principals apply whether you are working with a '60's MG, a Chrysler 440 six-pack, an ES300 or a new Porsche. All the computer controls and electronics just confuse the issue for me... but hey, I'm learning!

So far only good from my "corrected" adjustment. Better throttle response when engine is cold. Feels better when warmed up, too - no lag or "bogging" so far. I'll leave it this way & update again after a while - see if there's any downside.

Gotta go back to my deserted stretch of road & try some good old power launches again. Spinning tires & burning rubber - Now THAT I understand! :lol:

tck...

Gotta go back to my deserted stretch of road & try some good old power launches again. Spinning tires & burning rubber - Now THAT I understand!

Shhhhhh they don't like that here! :whistles:

(They're just jealous only the really old ES's have the torque on the *BLEEP*y stock 2600rpm convertor to actually achieve descent burning rubber!) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's all good. The EFI in your car is hellaciously easy to understand.

Distributor sends the crankshaft(NE) & two cam signals(G1,G2) to the ECU to relay engine timing

AFM's flap(VS) & temp sensor(THA) are used by the ECU to determine the MASS of airflow entering the engine

ECU then determines the base of how much(&when) fuel to give & ignition timing

Which is then adjusted by the coolant temp sensor(THW) if coolant is normal, or cold

Which is modified by the TPS signal during throttle transitions

Which is alllll brought back together by the o2 sensor for fine adjustment during closed loop.

Easy! =)

• 2 weeks later...

Just changed all my plugs to oem denso..I must say that at first, I was a bit apprehensive because of the location of 1,5,& 6. I toook a stab at it and prevailed. Small hands and arms help a great deal.

I am anxious to try adjust my air flow meter just to test out a better throttle response...where is it? I have a 1998 es.. Many thanks

Just changed all my plugs to oem denso..I must say that at first, I was a bit apprehensive because of the location of 1,5,& 6. I toook a stab at it and prevailed. Small hands and arms help a great deal.

I am anxious to try adjust my air flow meter just to test out a better throttle response...where is it? I have a 1998 es..  Many thanks

would the clicky thing work on a 97???

and the back plugs are an !Removed! to change...

I am anxious to try adjust my air flow meter just to test out a better throttle response...where is it? I have a 1998 es..  Many thanks

Unfortunately, no one has responded on the where abouts of that air flow meter for an 98 ES. I'd like to try it and see what results I can come up with..and yes, the back plugs are an !Removed! to change. Cheers :cheers:

Unfortunately, no one has responded on the where abouts of that air flow meter for an 98 ES. I'd like to try it and see what results I can come up with..and yes, the back plugs are an !Removed! to change. Cheers :cheers:

the meter is neqar the air box.....but it wont work.....

I'm having trouble uploading pictures for some reason... so...

Here are a couple of links to photos of my airflow meter - on my '93. It's the thing at the bottom right side, connected to the air intake hose. Mine has electrical tape holding the top on, so I could fiddle with it without un-sealing it every time.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...pe=post&id=2978

Here it is with the top off...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...pe=post&id=2910

If these links don't work, just try a search - they are from previous posts.

BTW - I don't think you can do this on a '98. SKPERFORMANCE or TOYSRME would know a lot more than me about that...

tck...

I'm having trouble uploading pictures for some reason... so...

Here are a couple of links to photos of my airflow meter - on my '93. It's the thing at the bottom right side, connected to the air intake hose. Mine has electrical tape holding the top on, so I could fiddle with it without un-sealing it every time.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...pe=post&id=2978

Here it is with the top off...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...pe=post&id=2910

If these links don't work, just try a search - they are from previous posts.

BTW - I don't think you can do this on a '98. SKPERFORMANCE or TOYSRME would know a lot more than me about that...

tck...

Just a quick update...

This is a good mod, IMHO. Very easy to do - as long as you do it right the first time, unlike me! (read the whole topic for details of my mistake). Better throttle response & I don't see any downside as of this date. Try it yourself if you want. Just a few things to watch...

** Be careful prying the top off the airflow meter - if you push too deeply when trying to pry it off, you could easily damage some of the (very expen$$ive looking) components underneath. Slow and easy!!

** Don't forget to put an index mark of some kind on the cog at the stock location before you start messing with it - as suggested earlier - so you can go back to stock and start over if you have any undesirable effects.

** Turn the "cog" in the right direction!! (see diagram provided by Toysrme in an earlier post). Don't go too far or driveability can suffer. 5 "clicks" in the LEAN direction worked well for me. If you notice a rough "lumpy" idle or hesitation & bogging on acceleration, you've gone too far one way or the other. Put it back to your index mark - and try again.

I'm going to seal mine back up with silicone and leave it as is. The cold winter weather will be here soon enough, I'll update again if there are any ill effects starting or running in the cold (and I mean c-c-c-cold!! - it gets down to minus 30C on occasion here). I don't anticipate any difficulties... but you never know.

Now, I have to buy a new timing light & try messing with ignition timing.

tck...

Only VZ blocks.

MZ's moved on to a MAF, if you wanna tune that you'll have to buy a piggyback.

thanks for he insight toysrme!!! For a minute there I thought I could do such expermitation. I am not sure what I would do with a piggy back configuration, but gut feeling states that maybe I shouldn't mess with this. You have great insights on this things Sir...Many thanks again.:cheers:

It's nothing, yvw.

Piggybacks are fine. Easy to use & fairly easy to install depending on what you're trying to do. I've got an smt6 & love it to death.

Watch ebay every day for a week. There's normally an SAFC a week that get's sniped pretty low. SAFC's are the easyest to install & normally use. newer ones ahve the pretty blue screen.

I'm not a fan of them becuase they can only do one thing, but i have different needs so...

They're good stepping stones for future mods too.

It's nothing, yvw.

Piggybacks are fine. Easy to use & fairly easy to install depending on what you're trying to do. I've got an smt6 & love it to death.

Watch ebay every day for a week. There's normally an SAFC a week that get's sniped pretty low. SAFC's are the easyest to install & normally use. newer ones ahve the pretty blue screen.

I'm not a fan of them becuase they can only do one thing, but i have different needs so...

They're good stepping stones for future mods too.

Thanks....tried pm ing you , but the site would not allow me. I wanted to ask your opnion about fitment of front bumper, headlight units & rear break lights from a 2001 es to a 98.... they are practically the same. Will they fit.. Thanks again Toysreme :)