Ride Quality: 18 Inch Wheels

tealboy

I recently drove the new 330 and was very disappointed w/ the ride as compared to the 300 (though most new features were appealing). I later learned this dealership orders the sport package on all vehicles, which seems to include air suspension and 18 inches wheels.

Has anyone driven both the 17 and 18 inch version to determine how the ride compares? I strongly prefer the softer ride of the 300, but want the enhancements of the 330 model. Local dealership does not have 17's for me to test drive. The difference may not be material but i was hoping you may be able to tell me how you feel about the ride.

I own the package with the 18 inchers, but the loaner cars are 17. The ride is pretty much the same in feeling, except during turns. you feel more confident with the 18 inchers, thats kinda given being the sports package. During straight road, ride feel is about the same, not much difference unless ure really picky. :P

interesting. I will be curious as to what others say. I was comparing it to the 300, which I drove to the dealership to drive the 330 and in that case, the 300 is without question, a smoother riding vehicle. I am a bit more sensitive to this than most, but the reason i was swayed away from the MDX was the lexus ride. After driving the 330, the difference seems less dramatic between the two.

At the momment, I have a 2006 330 reserved in my name. I am friends with the owner, who is willing to sell it to me for invoice. The best deal i have seen in my area is $1500 above invoice for leftover 2005's, plus a $500 dealer fee. Now that many of the 05's are low in stock, the price has trickled back up.

when my dealer told me he would give me the 05 or the 06 a vehicle at invoice, it was an easy decision, though i realize toyota is raising pricing (to save GM, lol) so the cost will go up a little.

Since the ride has become more harsh, i am a little torn between the 300 vs. the 330, but i'm sure i will be ok with it. I was just disappointed the ride changed.

I agree the 17s vs the 18s don't make that much difference. I think you may be seeing the sportier nature of the 330 vs the 300.

You may also want to check the PSI in the tires. Dealers ALWAYS over inflate the tires and it makes a HUGE difference in the ride.

My experience with larger rims has been that the larger rims offer a slightly stiffer ride (less roll caused by sidewall flex). The disadvantage is that you "feel" the road a little more. Personally, I love having larger rims because of the handling advantages.

Yes always check the tire pressure because they INFLATE the tires alot (50psi) when they transport them on the truck! It has to do with when they sinch them down with the chains--they put more Air pressure in the tires as not to squish them flat...

Every dealer I've been in contact with also seems to think the PSI should be the max PSI on the tire, I have to let air out of my tires every time it goes into the dealer.

I agree that the ride on 330 is firmer than my previous 300's. However after a couple of months the ride doesn't bother me & I likethe handling much better on the 330. I also feel that the 330 is much more luxurious than the 300. From the improved leather interior, wood trim, Nav system & back up camera.

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to know this too. I was quite disappointed that in norcal 18" was not an OPTION. We were forced to purchase the "option".

In fact, I'm considering trading someone's 17" for my 18".

i have like new 17 inch allow looking for chrome 5 spoke 18's. let me know