Carbon Fiber Hoods

jonesycm50

My hood has some nasty dings from highway rocks, i have been looking into carbon fiber hoods to just replace the whole thing. People's opinions on all the different hoods out there, the benefits of having it vented, and will the carbon fiber hood also be prone to these dings(im guessing it wont unless i get it painted but i just want confirmation)

A CF hood can still chip the epoxy it is coated with.

You would need to have a clear bra added to help fight chips.

Seibon or VIS aer the main players in the CF hood market.

Having some extra venting helps to reduce underhood temps, too much and it adds turbulance and can reduce the cooling of the rads inital design ,never mind it startes to get ugly with too much open,

A CF hood can still chip the epoxy it is coated with.

You would need to have a clear bra added to help fight chips.

Seibon or VIS aer the main players in the CF hood market.

Having some extra venting helps to reduce underhood temps, too much and it adds turbulance and can reduce the cooling of the rads inital design ,never mind it startes to get ugly with too much open,

So would you say one vent max?? maybe the VIS middle vented?? Best site to browse on?? Lextasy is alright but has very limited images of the products on cars so its hard for me to get a good image of how it would look on my car.

• 2 weeks later...
lextasy.com

yes.....definatley lextasy...........u might wnt to try somthing you can get at your dealership...........unfortunatley.....imextremely tired right now and i cant even think of the name but its jsut a thin thin plastic / vinyl that goes over the front half of your hood......it helps ALOT!......but dont put anyhting on your headlights or it creates a yellow - ish affect when your lights are on .......Gahhh... im so mad i cant think of it though....sry ... if i find out ill let u know....good luck! :D

lextasy.com

yes.....definatley lextasy...........u might wnt to try somthing you can get at your dealership...........unfortunatley.....imextremely tired right now and i cant even think of the name but its jsut a thin thin plastic / vinyl that goes over the front half of your hood......it helps ALOT!......but dont put anyhting on your headlights or it creates a yellow - ish affect when your lights are on .......Gahhh... im so mad i cant think of it though....sry ... if i find out ill let u know....good luck! :D

oh yeah and its very very cheap......other then spending hundreds on CF.......unless you really like it and dont have problems weiht the money..... oh yeah and dont be a ricer and make a messy carbon fiber that doesnt match wiht your car lol

My hood has some nasty dings from highway rocks, i have been looking into carbon fiber hoods to just replace the whole thing.  People's opinions on all the different hoods out there, the benefits of having it vented, and will the carbon fiber hood also be prone to these dings(im guessing it wont unless i get it painted but i just want confirmation)

oh yeah and Cf is not as "indestructable" as people think.....liek the other guy said....the coating on it is voulnerable.....but the cf itself is sturdy........

• 5 months later...

the only reason i would want a carbon fiber hood is to shed some weight on my 2001 is300. that thing is heavy! the dealer told me its built like a tank, as great as that may be i dont want it to weigh as much as one. the car is smaller then a supra yet its only 200 or 300 pounds ligter.