"waxing" Tire Sound On Hard Turns

marlae

I have a new Lexus ES 2005, about 8500 miles. I notice the tires are presenting “waxing’ sound as one member put it in a post from 2003 (http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3033&hl=sound)

This occurs on low speeds, a hard sharp turn (180 degrees) and on soft pavement. I bought the car brand new in the winter (march) and noticed this recently during the summer months. I suspect heat friction and the characteristics of these Bridgestone tires (original equipment, Turanza). I went from a pontiac bonneville SE '93 to this lexus after 12 years (in the Bonny)--- never experienced this before.

Slowing down does eliminate it and perhaps the cooler temperature (live in northeast) will too (when it arrives). I never noticed anything in winter, windows always up.

I am wondering if any other member experienced this with current or past year (ES330) models or even considered switching out the tires.

note: Tires have been rotated 2 months ago. Have not reported to dealer yet, next month (aug) service detailing appt

The factory Bridgestones that came fractory equipped (both Potenza's & Turanza's) are total garbage especially in rain & snow. I'm not suprised you are having problems like this. Do a search on these forums to see what others have said about these tires & check out the comments on tirerack as well. Before the winter, I would seriously consider putting another set & brand on your ES (good all seasons or a set of winters). B)

:cheers:

Yes, only 8,000 miles on car. Tires checked out. The first post to this thread really enlighted me on these particular tires via TireRack. It appears other have similar complaints and basically is a characteristic of this tire if pushed to the limits. It does have a low coefficient rating. Also, on different surfaces, it is more pronounce. I can actually recreate the 'waxing' or 'chirping' sound everytime at the rotary drop off at local post office. The angle of the turn with the right speed does it every time. If i pull into a local the grocery store parking lot and clip the turn in the parking spot hard, the tires will 'chirp'. I may get multiple chirps out of the turn (and loud).

The car is great--- what's bizzare are these tires. If you drive normal or very slow, it probably will not happen 95% of the time.

I'll probably live with it until the tires wear out and from what I been reading on this tires, the thread will probably not last long.

Yes, only 8,000 miles on car.  Tires checked out.  The first post to this thread really enlighted me on these particular tires via TireRack.  It appears other have similar complaints and basically is a characteristic of this tire if pushed to the limits.  It does have a low coefficient rating.  Also, on different surfaces, it is more pronounce.  I can actually recreate the 'waxing' or 'chirping' sound everytime at the rotary drop off at local post office.  The angle of the turn with the right speed does it every time.  If i pull into a local the grocery store parking lot and clip the turn in the parking spot hard, the tires will 'chirp'.  I may get multiple chirps out of the turn (and loud).

The car is great--- what's bizzare are these tires. If you drive normal or very slow, it probably will not happen 95% of the time.

I'll probably live with it until the tires wear out and from what I been reading on this tires, the thread will probably not last long.

You are correct, the tires won't last very long at all (that's the good news). It's more unfortunate that an automaker is more concerned about fuel economy (or EPA ratings) over good traction & safety. But all auto makers are guilty of this, not just Lexus / Toyota. :rolleyes:

:cheers: