Res Vs Aftermarket

Anyone confirm if ANY aftermarket DVD player type res systems will alllow video to be played through the front nav Screen like the factory unit will?

Also would the quality of an add on be anywhere as good as the factory RES?

Would the final cost be more for the add on or the factory?

TIA

Anyone confirm if ANY aftermarket DVD player type res systems will alllow video to be played through the front nav Screen like the factory unit will?

TIA

My dealer offered me (still does) a dual screen system that mounts in the headrests. It can play two different DVDs at the same time. The agent who did my papers said that it would tie into the onboard systems, that it was not a stand-alone system (like you would get at CostCo or Best Buy). But I didn't press her on the details... and I don't think she would know anyway.

The cost was $2500 as opposed to the $1800 markup on the factory unit (assuming you can find a 400h in your color with the RES installed)

Another thing to consider is that the factory unit mounts in the way of the rearview mirror which reduces your visiblitiy out the back when the screen is down.

If the dual screen can be integrated with the car the same way (or better) than the factory unit is, then I would opt for the better visiblity and individual DVD choices that the aftermark offers. Plus you don't have hinge your 400h purchase on the RES.

TIA

My dealer offered me (still does) a dual screen system that mounts in the headrests. It can play two different DVDs at the same time. The agent who did my papers said that it would tie into the onboard systems, that it was not a stand-alone system (like you would get at CostCo or Best Buy). But I didn't press her on the details... and I don't think she would know anyway.

The cost was $2500 as opposed to the $1800 markup on the factory unit (assuming you can find a 400h in your color with the RES installed)

Another thing to consider is that the factory unit mounts in the way of the rearview mirror which reduces your visiblitiy out the back when the screen is down.

If the dual screen can be integrated with the car the same way (or better) than the factory unit is, then I would opt for the better visiblity and individual DVD choices that the aftermark offers. Plus you don't have hinge your 400h purchase on the RES.

I agree with skyfish. I would opt for the headrest system if it's integrated with the onboard systems and the price is right. Personally, I would not pay $2500 for it.

No bashing intended but I think there's no way the Lexus RSES is worth $1,840. Like skyfish said, when the screen is down, it blocks your view to the rear. Also, the screen seems small to me. And it costs $1840!! The headrest montors don't block your view and the 2 rear seat passengers each have their own monitor. (If there's a third rear seat passenger, he or she would of course have to share.)

Thanks for the input guys.

Actually my dealer ordered my car without res by mistake.

I really wanted the factory res with inverter.

They are offering to install the aftermarket, but I am sure it will be

the least expensive.

maybe an omen not to take the car...

Thanks for the input guys.

Actually my dealer ordered my car without res by mistake.

I really wanted the factory res with inverter.

They are offering to install the aftermarket, but I am sure it will be

the least expensive.

maybe an omen not to take the car...

If I were you, I wouldn't take the car. You want the RSES, you're paying $50+K for the vehicle, get what you want. Don't settle. If you settle, you'll have buyer's remorse. You don't want that.

Is there a particular reason you want the RSES?? To keep kids entertained??

Yes, need the res for the college trips and need the front screen for me, helps pass the time when the wife shops....

Dealer says I have to wait until December for a factory res..

Yes, need the res for the college trips and need the front screen for me, helps pass the time when the wife shops....

December...that stinks!! Perhaps another dealer in your area has a vehicle with RSES? Have you tried using edmunds.com or similar website to find a vehicle with RSES??

I would not wait for the factory RES (and so I didn't). I'm not locked out of adding a better product in later, and as for the inverter... you can pick up one of those at for way less than $100 and just plug it into the 12V outlet in the back.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I have found the color combo I wanted not to far from me, and so have made a deal.

I actually got a better deal too.

My dealer wanted me to wait until Tuesday so he could keep looking for another car.

The general manager said he would not blame me for purchasing the other car, so I can have this one this coming Friday.

Really can't believe a company like Lexus has no confirmation information, other than wait 3 months and hope the order is correct.

This is where they can learn from some of the car mfrs here in the USA, where you can track the progress of your car..

I have found the color combo I wanted not to far from me, and so have made a deal.

My dealer wanted me to wait until Tuesday so he could keep looking for another car.

The general manager said he would not blame me for purchasing the other car, so I can have this one this coming Friday.

Really can't believe a company like Lexus has no confirmation information, other than wait 3 months and hope the order is correct.

This is where they can learn from some of the car mfrs here in the USA, where you can track the progress of your car..

jerryray...Way to go man!! You got what you wanted. Good for you.

I'm curious, did they "discount" the new vehicle more than the other dealership or did you get a better trade-in, assuming you had a trade-in??

Enjoy...

Got $500 better deal, free pinstriping for PU this coming week (save dealership aug payment on loan) and they will remove mud guards and install on new car.

I'm curious, did they "discount" the new vehicle more than the other dealership or did you get a better trade-in, assuming you had a trade-in??

Enjoy...

Got $500 better deal, free pinstriping for PU this coming week (save dealership aug payment on loan) and they will remove mud guards and install on new car.

Enjoy...

Hey, $500 is $500!!! Enjoy your new ride. My brother really likes his, especially since his fuels costs are 1/2 what they were when he had his previous GM SUV.

Does NY require a front license plate?? If so, you gonna' let them drill two holes in your front bumper cover to mount the bracket?? In TX, a front plate is required but the dealer didn't drill my brother's bumper and he's really happy about that. He wants to keep it pristine!!

• 2 weeks later...

TIA

Can anyone confirm whether there is an aftermarket dual screen system that mounts in the headrests *that ties into the existing dashboard system* (so the driver can view the movie when parked)? It's not clear from this thread. Thanks!

Can anyone confirm whether there is an aftermarket dual screen system that mounts in the headrests *that ties into the existing dashboard system* (so the driver can view the movie when parked)?  It's not clear from this thread.  Thanks!

Yes, you can integrate the dvd to play in the front monitor. PAC is the company that makes the part for it. It is a pain in the !Removed! to install (as I do this for a living), and it costs about $350 - $400. It is really meant for a backup camera, but you can plug in a video source from a dvd player and have the audio run via fm modulator (not a big fan, but best for factory systems).

P.S. I am doing some research on the 400h for my uncle (he wants to buy one). what is the RES/RSES that everyone is talking about? It seems to me like some kind of option. Thanks!

Can anyone confirm whether there is an aftermarket dual screen system that mounts in the headrests *that ties into the existing dashboard system* (so the driver can view the movie when parked)?  It's not clear from this thread.  Thanks!

Yes, you can integrate the dvd to play in the front monitor. PAC is the company that makes the part for it. It is a pain in the !Removed! to install (as I do this for a living), and it costs about $350 - $400. It is really meant for a backup camera, but you can plug in a video source from a dvd player and have the audio run via fm modulator (not a big fan, but best for factory systems).

P.S. I am doing some research on the 400h for my uncle (he wants to buy one). what is the RES/RSES that everyone is talking about? It seems to me like some kind of option. Thanks!

Thanks.

Rear Seat Entertainment (or Rear Seat Entertainment System) is one of only 3 options available on the 400h, and as I understand it, the system is actually included in very few of these vehicles. I.e., if you want it as a factory installed option, you may have to wait until "your" ordered vehicle is made and shipped from Japan, rather than getting on a dealer waiting list and scooping up a vehicle when your name comes up.

It is a fold-down monitor, 7" I believe, mounted just to the rear of the sunroof. Lots of people complain that it's too small AND blocks their rear view (seemingly mutually-exclusive traits), but it apparently has the attributes of (a) being linked to the front dash system, therefore allowing the drive to watch the movie when parked (which prompted my own question), and (B) including a built-in inverter which (I believe) provides a 120V AC power source in the trunk rather than simply another standard 12V DC plug (though one could always purchase an inverter and simply plug it into one of the 12 V plugs...not sure if the built in inverter is "better"...I think there is another thread on that topic).

Thanks.

Rear Seat Entertainment (or Rear Seat Entertainment System) is one of only 3 options available on the 400h, and as I understand it, the system is actually included in very few of these vehicles. I.e., if you want it as a factory installed option, you may have to wait until "your" ordered vehicle is made and shipped from Japan, rather than getting on a dealer waiting list and scooping up a vehicle when your name comes up.

It is a fold-down monitor, 7" I believe, mounted just to the rear of the sunroof. Lots of people complain that it's too small AND blocks their rear view (seemingly mutually-exclusive traits), but it apparently has the attributes of (a) being linked to the front dash system, therefore allowing the drive to watch the movie when parked (which prompted my own question), and (B) including a built-in inverter which (I believe) provides a 120V AC power source in the trunk rather than simply another standard 12V DC plug (though one could always purchase an inverter and simply plug it into one of the 12 V plugs...not sure if the built in inverter is "better"...I think there is another thread on that topic).