Quick Tire Question

wagsy22

I have new Yokohama H4S's on my 98 GS400 that Discount Tire cannot seem to balance - giving me a subtle vibration around 60mph. So they suggested Pirelli PZero Nero but I have read great things about Falken Ziex 512s. Discount Tire say they are cheap, would not recommend them. They stated that they put Falkens on BMWs and Cadillacs only to have them returned. Im not sure what to believe at this point - any suggestions on what I should go with? My instincts tell me Falken but that is just based on what Ive read.....

Wagsy

I have new Yokohama H4S's on my 98 GS400 that Discount Tire cannot seem to balance - giving me a subtle vibration around 60mph.  So they suggested Pirelli PZero Nero but I have read great things about Falken Ziex 512s.  Discount Tire say they are cheap, would not recommend them.  They stated that they put Falkens on BMWs and Cadillacs only to have them returned.  Im not sure what to believe at this point - any suggestions on what I should go with?  My instincts tell me Falken but that is just based on what Ive read.....

Wagsy

Has Discount Tires offered guesses as to why they can't balance the Yokos??? Are they going to give you full credit on the Pirelli's?? If you go with the Pirelli's and they're no better, then what??

Not to bash Discount Tire but I've been driving for a long time. I remember the old days when the guy used to spin balance the tires on the car. Bet you don't see that done much any more?? I have done a lot of business with Discount Tire and I have never had a set of tires that they balanced ride as smooth as the factory balanced tires that came off the vehicle...never. Michelin, Goodyear, etc.--doesn't matter.

Here's an example. In December, 2004, I put new tires on my mom's 1998 Buick to replace the original General tires that came on the car. The 7-year old General tires that had the original factory balance rode smoother than the new tires that Discount Tire put on. That has always been my experience with Discount Tire irrespective of the brand of tire they put on.

I realize that you certainly can't compare a Lexus to a Buick. My point is that I have never had good luck with balancing done by Discount Tire. I shop there because of price and live with the not-so-smooth ride. Guess I should really trade elsewhere, huh??

I order tires from tirerack.com and have them mounted by a long-time locally-owned tire shop that treats me right, has very fair prices, and always gets it right the first time.

Find a similar shop in your area and develop a relationship with them. Lousy tire work can kill you just like lousy brake work can.

Forum managers,

Who is this guy?  You need to kill his IP address on your servers so once he's banned he can't sign on under a different user name.

we are in the process of doing that.

posts are removed when we find them or get to them. keep in mind, we work for a living, too, and moderators aren't on 24 hours a day.

steviej

Forum managers,

Who is this guy?  You need to kill his IP address on your servers so once he's banned he can't sign on under a different user name.

posts are removed when we find them or get to them. keep in mind, we work for a living, too, and moderators aren't on 24 hours a day.

steviej

Well, I was skeptical that Discount Tires would know what they were talking about. So I went ahead and allowed them to replace my almost new Yoko H4S on my 98 GS400 to solve this vibration problem. They were replaced with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. Cost me $150 extra of course. Guess what? The vibration is not only there, its much worse. Now, the vibration starts at 55-70mph. The Yoko had been balanced 4 times before and the vibration was down to between 60-62mph. I am pulling my hair out over this. What suspension components could be causing this - bearings, etc.???? I have had two of the wheels analyzed for trueness and one was bent so I had it straigtened.

I would be forever grateful if someone knew what what causing this....

Wagsy

Funny, I was just reading the same about Falkens on another site.

I would go with the Pirelli, they are on my short list, too.

steviej

Funny, this is the first I've heard about issues with the Falken's.......any problems with Lexus owners at all? :unsure: My wife's Falkens are still as good as the day we put them on her car roughly 20,000 miles ago now. :blink: B) Four of my co-workers have them as well at my suggestions & no problems.

:cheers:

• 2 months later...
Forum managers,

steviej

Well, I was skeptical that Discount Tires would know what they were talking about. So I went ahead and allowed them to replace my almost new Yoko H4S on my 98 GS400 to solve this vibration problem. They were replaced with Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. Cost me $150 extra of course. Guess what? The vibration is not only there, its much worse. Now, the vibration starts at 55-70mph. The Yoko had been balanced 4 times before and the vibration was down to between 60-62mph. I am pulling my hair out over this. What suspension components could be causing this - bearings, etc.???? I have had two of the wheels analyzed for trueness and one was bent so I had it straigtened.

I would be forever grateful if someone knew what what causing this....

Wagsy

I put new Khumos on my GS430 and immediately picked up a vibration at 70 - 80 MPH. Had wheels re-balanced twice with same result. Took the car back the third time and tape weights were thrown away and replaced with "snap on" weights on the inside of the wheel. Guess what? Vibration gone......back to normal smooth ride.

LMAO

sorry but i know alot of shops who have a wheel balancer and do not know how to even set the machine up properly.

On all aftermarket rims you are not supposed to use clamp weights on the rim lip.

The funny part is your tire/rim was probably balanced with the setting for steel outside weights not for the inner tape weights which would not compensate.

Far too common with many shops.

I bet if someone checked the machine they guys there don;t even know how to change it from tape to clamp.

LMAO

sorry but i know alot of shops who have a wheel balancer and do not know how to even set the machine up properly.

On all aftermarket rims you are not supposed to use clamp weights on the rim lip.

The funny part is your tire/rim was probably balanced with the setting for steel outside weights not for the inner tape weights which would not compensate.

Far too common with many shops.

I bet if someone checked the machine they guys there don;t even know how to change it from tape to clamp.

I'm sure you are right in your assessment, but if the tires balance up nice, what's the difference where the weights are?