Power Windows Stuck

wynstan

Hi,

I have an RX300 for 5 years and the front-passenger window is beginning to stop once in a while. It doesn't seem like the switch on the door is mulfunction nor the motor is sticky. Do you think if the relay is dead? If so, where can I find it in my car? Thanks a million in advance! :rolleyes:

Wynstan

i dont know if its a relay issue, but i just had my 2000 RX in yesterday to fix this same issue, mine would work on and off, just as you described, untill last week when it just got stuck down, i drove around for 5 days with the window down!!! they had to replace the motor.

ps- my issue was when it was down, and i tried to put it up, it would go down, then up, then down, and finally up again. just wondering if yours is similiar..

• 4 years later...

I believe I have a similar problem, though don't know for sure.

2002 RX300 AWD

Intermittently, the window will stop moving up or down... it just stops. If I leave the button alone for a little while (minutes, hours, or days,) the window will just start working again. The first time this happened, I made an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. Of course, it was working before I could take it in, so I canceled the appointment.

I have two questions.

#1 If the problem is intermittent, is there any way that the dealer is going to be able to identify the problem? (I don't think so, but you don't know till you ask!)

#2 I have 4-months left on the CPO warranty. Would this be covered under the CPO warranty, or is it something they'll try to get out of.

Regards,

BobL

I believe I have a similar problem, though don't know for sure.

2002 RX300 AWD

Intermittently, the window will stop moving up or down... it just stops. If I leave the button alone for a little while (minutes, hours, or days,) the window will just start working again. The first time this happened, I made an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. Of course, it was working before I could take it in, so I canceled the appointment.

I have two questions.

#1 If the problem is intermittent, is there any way that the dealer is going to be able to identify the problem? (I don't think so, but you don't know till you ask!)

#2 I have 4-months left on the CPO warranty. Would this be covered under the CPO warranty, or is it something they'll try to get out of.

Regards,

BobL

For those of you who have similar type of problems, be sure and remember to try a "reset". Since I don't think these motors go bad that often, and the window system is indeed a "system" (which means it goes through a computer) and that "system" needs a reset sometimes. Try running the window all the way up and HOLDING the switch for about 4-5 seconds before you let go. That should reset the computer brain to know what upper limit is and the other operation as well as limits are determined by that. That problem wouldn't exist on a car that doesn't have so much complexity that it requires the computer to manage it all. I have serious questions about the RX (poster Jon) needing a motor when the window would travel up and down 2 or 3 times. Sounds to me like the "parts changers" took advantage of a situation that they wouldn't have made any money on if they simply "reset" it for him. After a lifetime of working in automotive I am still embarrassed by the dishonesty and incompetence of some auto shops, be they dealerships or independent. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Re: '02 RX300 Driver's side window switch and intermittent window operation/malfunction.

The drivers side window would become erratic, sometimes working, sometimes stopping mid-way, sometimes requiring window to go all the way down in order to go up, and finally, refusing to go up. We took it to the dealer last year, they ran tests and found "nothing", but did inform us next time the master switch would need to be replaced to the tune of over $700. Yikes. I decided to take the switch out and examine it. A tab in the front part of the wood bezel can be found and pushed in with a screwdriver (cover with tape), and removal of the assembly is easy. Take the connector off and turn the box over and start taking phillips screws out. No springs to worry about, it all comes apart in layers. The design is clever, as the top layer (directly under the switches) is a flexible plastic cover that isolates the circuit board, etc. from anything that may leak into the switches. As best as I can determine, there is NO electric passing through the switches themselves, they are only rockers forcing the plastic cover contact "pads" to the circuit board. I took WD40 and cleaned the pads with a paper towel, cleaned the contact points on the circuit board, then re-assembled all. In addition, I sprayed inside the plug connector (with the prongs) with WD40. Snapped all back together and all works like a charm. All I can say is something that I did in the process worked. Whether it was the cleaning of the pronged connector, or the contact "pads", something worked. You can spray WD40 all day long into the switches from on top, but I can tell you I think it's fruitless. Those switches have no electric in them, they are only mechanical rockers.

Hope this helps someone else. I almost had a stroke when they told me the part and install was over $700!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 01 RX that will go down like a dream, however, it will not go up. If you go down a little, not auto, then try to switch it up it will go down a little at a time. Then try up again, goes down a little again. It does this until it finally reaches the bottem. It will not go back up immediately. I have to wait a while then it will finally go back up. I do hear it making a slight "click". I took the assembly apart and cleaned it, did not spray into the pins though.

Do you think this is the switch, motor or relay. The people we bought it from 3 years ago said it had always had some window issues but I think that was mainly track and the fact it was really loud. I will do the work myself, just need to figure out what to clean, fix or replace.

Thanks.