Brake Quality On Es300 2001, Please Help

Hello guys,

I have a Lexus ES300 2001 85K. I have a question about the brake quality. One week ago I installed all new original rotors + full set new brake pads and bleeding system three times. But brakes are still very poor and pedal soft. My previous car Mazda 626 had completely different pedal, not like Lexus. Some person will think that there is an air in the system but I bleeding many times. I inspected all brake house and lines when somebody at this moment pushes on the pedal. It is looks good. I have no idea what I need to do now, but I can’t drive car with breaks like this. The car does have breaks but the quality likes really cheap and heavy car. Before I got this 2001 I owned ES300 2002 (I sold because transmission shifted terrible + drive by wire system not for me). I was very happy with breaks on 2002. Any ideas? Thank you

I don't mess around with brakes...If it were me and I was this concerned, I would send it in for a pro to look at it.

I would most likely try midas or minakee for a check up. And then see what they think is the issue.

Or just make an appointment to see the stealership...

I disagree with you SK for two reasons:

1) SS lines have horrible lifespans, and are a waste of money without road racing - They simply don't do crap. Don't waste money on them

2) SS lines will not fix this "problem". It's not a problem, it's how the system is designed to operate.

exdotcomer tho the braking system is the most important in the car, it is by far the simplest mechanical system to deal with. I see no reason to take it anywhere when there is no problem.

Kirill626 - Toyota doesn't make a wide production car with stiff brakes. It's a progressive throw. It's to enable non F1 drivers to always be able to stop in a very smoothe manner.

The amount of pedal stiffness is directly related to pedal speed. If you quickly push the pedal the brake is instantly stiff, if you're not pushing it quickly it applies the brakes in a progressive fashion - It's an exponential rate of travel.

Run it up to 70mph in clear traffic and quickly put the pedal to the floor... Ya... There's good brakes for this class of car.

*DO NOT* confuse pushing the pedal quickly, with pushing the pedal HARD. Any quick motion will give a stiff pedal - it does not require shoving the pedal through the floor.

Kirill626 sell the car, or get use to how non racing car brakes should work.

Hello guys,

I have a Lexus ES300 2001 85K.  I have a question about the brake quality.  One week ago I installed all new original rotors + full set new brake pads and bleeding system three times.  But brakes are still very poor and pedal soft.  My previous car Mazda 626 had completely different pedal, not like Lexus.  Some person will think that there is an air in the system but I bleeding many times.  I inspected all brake house and lines when somebody at this moment pushes on the pedal.  It is looks good.  I have no idea what I need to do now, but I can’t drive car with breaks like this. The car does have breaks but the quality likes really cheap and heavy car. Before I got this 2001 I owned ES300 2002 (I sold because transmission shifted terrible + drive by wire system not for me).  I was very happy with breaks on 2002.  Any ideas?  Thank you

In my experience, the ES300 does have a different brake pedal feel when compared to other cars. I also have a '69 MGB, and the brake pedal is VERY firm, like pushing on a brick. Very good feel, but also very difficult to properly modulate when stopping from high speed, brakes want to lock up if pedal is pushed just a little too hard (no ABS in 1969, of course!!). My ES300 (1993) brake pedal feels very "mushy" and soft in comparison. BUT it is much easier to brake smoothly in day-to-day driving in the Lexus. Toysrme is correct when he says that the pedal feel changes if you push faster (like in a panic stop) - the ES300 has very good brakes, mine will stop much shorter than my MGB even tho the Lexus weighs probably 1500+ lbs. more. But I also agree with exdotcomer, I would take the car to a shop you trust and ask them to check your entire brake system. Tell them not to fix anything, just report on the brake lines, hoses, calipers - everything. It'll cost you maybe 50 bucks or so, very cheap for the peace of mind. If they find anything wrong you will know what to fix.

ps. re: SS brake hoses - I have them on my MGB, they DO make a difference on that particular car. They have been on the car for about 10 years, still look and work like new. Not sure whether they would help on a Lexus - it's a different animal entirely.

tck...

I would stay away from Midas any of those type of places. I don't know about where you are but out here in Northern CA they are known to be some of the biggest rip off places. George